Pokemon RSE: Route 111 (Desert) Remix

LugiaDialga

Some techno/trancey remix I've "finished" recently, though I labeled it as Work-in-Progress since I'm dead sure there is plenty more that I could try to do with this thing, thus is why I'm here hoping to get advice from much more musically talented folks. Thank-you in advance for taking a listen to it!

Remix v.2: http://www.box.com/s/uckg9nhqt9hvjujntsb2

Remix v.1: http://www.box.com/s/8a10mrtsfet9159941ny

Original:

Okay first off. You'll need to make it longer in my opinion. Three minutes is where I would gladly let a ReMix sit.

The build up and to 0:27 is really good. Enjoyable stuff man.

The "F" in the melody of the next phrase doesn't fit the key. Try making it an "E".

Unless you're using some interesting mode or whatevs.

0:40, all is really good, except the lead synth sounds too harsh.

0:55 another lead comes in imitating at an octave higher, perhaps a harmony could improve this section. It's worth a try.

1:08 things really pick up this section is good.

1:30 Wow, this feels weird on the first listen. You must have shifted the tonality, it can get weird.

1:50, things pick up again, I like this section.

2:03, that lead really has to go. It's too harsh for this. Everything else is far too ambient to have it spoiled like that.

I'll admit that while I think it's too short, that ending works well.

Hopefully this helps. Can't wait to hear the finished result! ;-)

The song sounds pretty good, but there's a few things off the bat that probably need changing.

It sounds like the drums are a little dead sounding. Also, I have to agree with Toberz about the harshish synth. At 0:54 the two synths mixing just doesn't sound good, either it's the arrangement or the two tones together, but it just doesn't work. Also the drums need to be changed up every once in a while as they are super repetitive, even for a Trance song. The same fake hi-hat/shaker noise plays the same through nearly the entire song. It starts at 0:41 and does the exact same thing until 2:30. Also that leslie-style warbling pad that starts at 0:27 doesn't really fit into the song in my opinion. Despite it being a pad, it really stands out. The pad that starts out at 1:08 isn't as bad, but it's still standing out in a wrong way.

It does need a lot of work, but keep at it.

I'll be quoting Tuberz because I agree with most of what he said. My thoughts are in bold.

0:40, all is really good, except the lead synth sounds too harsh. Totally agreed. Try turning down the velocity.

0:55 another lead comes in imitating at an octave higher, perhaps a harmony could improve this section. It's worth a try. A harmony is a good idea. Or perhaps you want to try taking out the lower octave of the lead entirely, and just leave it to the higher synth.

1:08 things really pick up this section is good.

1:30 Wow, this feels weird on the first listen. You must have shifted the tonality, it can get weird. Agreed. The section is very nice, but it needs a better transition. Try first with a percussive one, and if that doesn't work, you can try changing the arrangement around a bit.

2:03, that lead really has to go. It's too harsh for this. Everything else is far too ambient to have it spoiled like that. Try a very soft lead, almost like a whistling sound in the higher register. I think it could sound very nice.

As I've said before, it does sound pretty good, and good luck getting accepted when the time comes. :)

• 3 months later...