Share Guitar tricks and licks!

A fun little descending lick using the Phrygian Dominant. Simple and fun.

S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S

E||--16-13-12----12----------------------------------|

B||-----------15----15-13-12-13-12-------12----------|

G||--------------------------------14-13----14-13----|

D||-----------------------------------------------15-|

A||--------------------------------------------------|

E||--------------------------------------------------|

S S S S H.

-----------------------------||

--12-14-15-12-14~------------||

EDIT: Figures the tab fucked up....

My favourite thing to do to help work on cool licks is easy.

They're all in my head, I just practice singing cool melodies and then try playing them on the guitar.

After a while you don't even have to sing them to get them onto the guitar.

It helps for more melodic soulful soloing, not so much for shredding.

I'm not much of a shredder anyway, it has it's place, and that's not with me.

Hey I was perusing this thread and I'm not sure if this would be a good question to ask here but I think i'll give it a shot with so many guitarists here.

I'm very much an amateur guitarist and i am trying to get a really good thick chug to my rhythm guitar sound. Actually chug isn't strong enough of a word. I want a helicopter's rotor blade buffeting! What?

Starts at 3:12 with a really good one at 3:18.

Everything I am trying to do comes out a little too raspy and not nice and thick. Is it string gauge? A certain type of distortion/compression setup? Mixing trick? I use a B.C. rich Warlock with Guitar Rig 4.

Sorry if this was missing the point of this thread.

Hey I was perusing this thread and I'm not sure if this would be a good question to ask here but I think i'll give it a shot with so many guitarists here.

I'm very much an amateur guitarist and i am trying to get a really good thick chug to my rhythm guitar sound. Actually chug isn't strong enough of a word. I want a helicopter's rotor blade buffeting! What?

Starts at 3:12 with a really good one at 3:18.

Everything I am trying to do comes out a little too raspy and not nice and thick. Is it string gauge? A certain type of distortion/compression setup? Mixing trick? I use a B.C. rich Warlock with Guitar Rig 4.

Sorry if this was missing the point of this thread.

Technique! Where you mute is crucial. Closer to the neck will give you more staccato and a sharper "chug". Too close and it sounds bad. Farther back and the mute has a bit more sustain. Try experimenting with the position of your picking hand. I find palm muting sounds best on my guitar with my hand just over the back-half of the bridge pick up!

Also, too much distortion/gain can thin your mutes and sound in general quite a bit. Not enough and it will sound weak as well. I have not noticed a huge difference in sound with string gauges, but do be sure to use fresh, new strings. Or at least, strings that still have life in them.

So basically, try rolling the gain back a bit and experiment with specifically where you are palm muting. You should be able to get a good metal palm mute sound out of most any set up, but remember that it will sound a little different depending on the guitar and amplifier you are using.

EDIT: Also, many modern metal bands tune their guitars down a whole step or even lower. So try that as well. Lower tuning will provide lower mutes. Just don't fall into the n00b belief that tuning down = heavy.

Good information. Thanks.

Sometimes its tough for me to tell if the chug I like is really muted or not. The example I gave sounded to me like it was un-muted but i'll give your suggestions a try. Except for the tuning down one. Damn floating bridges!! I spent hours trying to find the balance between the claw and the strings so I am NOT touching the tuning!

Indeed, knowledge of the ancient hieroglyphics known as "tab" and "sheet music" is vital!

Tabs are for chumps :)

It's better to learn by ear and study Western music notation that can be used for any instrument. I think trying to just read a musical idea through a tab is some of the most stressful stuff you can put yourself through! Let's see, ....we have a 1 on the A string....It's held for an E amount of time... But there's a / on the one side of it.... wtf...

:)

but then again It's just another way of reading/writing music and the more ways you can read it the better off you are going to be able to deal with many different types of musicians. Another self defeating post by Gar23...

Tabs are for chumps :)

It's better to learn by ear and study Western music notation that can be used for any instrument. I think trying to just read a musical idea through a tab is some of the most stressful stuff you can put yourself through! Let's see, ....we have a 1 on the A string....It's held for an E amount of time... But there's a / on the one side of it.... wtf...

:)

but then again It's just another way of reading/writing music and the more ways you can read it the better off you are going to be able to deal with many different types of musicians. Another self defeating post by Gar23...

Lol well, as you can see, I prefer the best of both worlds. Tab makes it quick to figure out what notes I need to play on guitar, but the sheet music provides more detail.

post tricks

Tricks are for kids.

Get a pair of scissors and cut the top elasticated band off an old sock.

Put it around the neck at the base of the nut and pull it so it gently mutes the strings around fret 1 first half..

Then use a cable tie/twistie/split-pin/stapler to take the slack of the sock band and hold it tight..

2x as good as a hair band for handling noise.

Not to be wasteful, cut the leftover sock so you have a perfect tube at the part where your feet are so it's just the ankle tube left. Cut this tube straight down to leave a perfect soft rectangular piece of cloth.

Open the back plate up and wrap your cloth around your tremelo springs. Reduces handling noise.

If you have a pickguard, take it off and electrically shield it with copper film from a diy store. Fill the cavity with kitchen roll to reduce cavity play in your handling noise. Replace all your switches and pickups unless you have a high end guitar. (expensive ibanez's ..replace the switches too)

Tabs are only good if you know what the song already sounds like, since they give no indication of note timings.

I wish there was some kind of hybrid that gave you the fret numbers AND note timings. X_X Anyone want to swoop in and say "WELL WITH THE NEW [insert invention here] YOU CAN"

Well....as demonstrated by this thread, tab is often put beneath sheet music. The first tab I tried to post in this thread (but it got a little messed up) has the names of the note duration above the fret numbers.

Regardless, sheet music is still superior in most ways.

Something like that? Damn waste of time...

E||-------------------------------7--5-7-5-7--------------------------|

B||5-7-8-------10-8-7-8-10---------------5-7-8-10-8--7--5-7-|

G||--------4-5------------------------------------------------------------

D||--------------------------------------------------|

E||-------------------------------15--14--12--12-20-19-17-15-----------------------||

B||5-7-8-------10-8-7-8-10---------------------------------------16-17--||

For those who use ears to write music:P stats.png

E||-------------------------------15--14--12--12-20-19-17-15-----------------------||

Kind of, the lines got all distorted.

Of course you use your mind and ears to write music...sheet music is just a way of putting that sound into writing and guitar tab is shorthand (for guitarists). :-P

At first I felt bad for laughing at that when i heard it. Now I think it was intentional.

Got Phrasing?