Every time I start a remix...

Modus

How is that a bad thing Modus? You're creative!

You could be like me, I have lost all drive/inspiration/motivation for music lately....I've now gone several weeks without any means of recording guitar and I make all my best ideas on guitar. Now I feel all depressed and haven't made any new music for what feels like an eternity.

good for you!

'oh no my creativity is keeping me from doing tributes! it's doing its own thing!! HALP'

or are you saying you're too tone-deaf to successfully recreate popular melodies ;D

Nah, matching melodies is easy through trial and error. I'd count my "problem" as a good thing if I didn't want to submit something to OCR some day, but I do :[ Every time I start with a source in mind, I experiment and stumble upon something totally different that sounds really cool. Then I follow the candy into the forbidden forest and come out with another.. damn... original!

How is that a bad thing Modus? You're creative!

You could be like me, I have lost all drive/inspiration/motivation for music lately....I've now gone several weeks without any means of recording guitar and I make all my best ideas on guitar. Now I feel all depressed and haven't made any new music for what feels like an eternity.

I go through those depressive spells too. It usually lasts a month or two where I just don't want anything to do with music. It's probably the same for you. I think it's our minds' way of telling us we need a break. When I try to do music too hard, I end up confusing myself and making no progress.

I think I have a similar problem. Not a bad thing, but needing to find the balance of familiarity and non-plagiarism is part of the challenge! I think it's easier to write original work but then you'd have nothing to mooch off of.

Take me for example:

"There's a new SONIC REMIX?! I don't care if it's in DanceRussianFolkMelodicDeathLatinElectronicaFusion with Dubstep influences!! I'll download the hell out of it!"

There's tons of great OCremixes but I think some of the best that find the balance of source and remix are Willrock's.

Take me for example:

"There's a new SONIC REMIX?! I don't care if it's in DanceRussianFolkMelodicDeathLatinElectronicaFusion with Dubstep influences!! I'll download the hell out of it!"

Someone do this!

You should compile and release some of your originals. Or wait until you post on OCR so that you could release an album on the "community" forum instead of the "post your originals"!

I'd count my "problem" as a good thing if I didn't want to submit something to OCR some day, but I do :[ Every time I start with a source in mind, I experiment and stumble upon something totally different that sounds really cool. Then I follow the candy into the forbidden forest and come out with another.. damn... original!

yeah, i know.

it's still a good thing. it means you've got a healthy desire for exploration and experimentation, and that is way more valuable than recognition of any kind.

the way i see it is like this:

you need to be able to write music to rearrange music.

even when you just shift the different patterns around, you're writing music. the level of involvement may vary, but ultimately you're organising the sound in some deliberate fashion and tadaa, that's making music.

you don't strictly need to be able to rearrange music in order to write music. you can just make up new stuff as you go.

that said, rearranging offers quite a few compositional possibilities.

for one, it's how a motif becomes a theme.

in other words, rearranging stuff is a rather integral part of making music, and as such you can easily train it while writing original stuff.

you'll probably train that skill while just writing any kind of music.

like, there's this part at 0:33 that you want to come back with full force at 4:21. so you change it to major and harmonise it or some shit.

and that's all there is to it, taking a familiar shape and giving it depth and development by juxtaposing it or changing it altogether.

just saying, if the remixing retro VG melodies thing isn't working out at the moment, just remix yourself more. in the same song. aka thematic writing.

learn to twist and transmogrify better. maybe try to limit your output of constantly new parts and just flesh out the song with interesting variations of your main motif.

remixing is about working with parts that are already there. if your brain tends to drift away when faced with this particular task, it's either not your thing or you haven't fully grasped the qualities of that limitation.

stupid simple answer: do more of it, do it more consciously. limit the amount of parts, maximise the wealth of interpretation. see how far you can push a melody into completely different sonic territory while still keeping it recognisable.

what could be a better test subject for all this than your own shit? no legend to live up to, no classics to butcher. it's perfect.

You're onto something about "not grasping limitations". Honestly it just feels like I lack the discipline to stick with a source. I stumble onto so many random cool mistakes that I feel like I have no choice but to wander.

And yes, I also enjoy not feeling the pressure of butchering a source or living up to its reputation. I just adore freedom. And making my weird experiments.

Sometimes I'm so amused by how far I wander. Like here, an example..

Source:

Result: This year-old dancey ravey song??

At least the guitar riff is still obvious >.>

And today..

Source:

Result: what is this I don't even?

:facepalm: