Response to a Tekken Remix Tournament?

Phonetic Hero

So I've been noticing (which isn't really that difficult) that through all the Mega Man competitions that Darke hosts, we've come up with a TON of great mixes that cover a specific franchise. Which is great, because Mega Man has some amazing music, and it's familiar to everyone.

I'd like to implement this same idea, but for the Tekken franchise, which has all of *1* remix on the site, by djp himself. This is a game series that holds an insane amount of nostalgia for me. The second one was literally the first Playstation game I played when I was about 6, maybe even 5, quickly followed by the first and then third, when it came out. Upon re-examining the music after actually knowing a thing or two, it's... fantastic. There's not a whole lot of room for big noticeable melodies because of the game type, but there's all kinds of catchy subtleness utilized in just about every theme (which is a LOT, considering different iterations of the music for the arcade themes vs. home systems, not to mention all the games in the series), and the synthesis is amazing.

So I'm curious... what would everyone think about a Tekken Remix Tournament? Does anybody even play Tekken besides me?!

If you're unfamiliar with the music, look up just about anything from 1-3, arcade or arranged versions. It's all great stuff

Lemme know what everyone thinks

pH

Yeah, I remember Tekken as well :) Fun fighter for the PS1, though I can understand how it seems really underrepresented on the site.

But you know, that's how I also felt about various other non-RPG PS1 franchises at the time as well, not just Tekken - heck, when I found the site even Gran Turismo was neglected - and suffice to say that's what some of us have to put up with.

If Tekken was a more popular franchise for remixing in general things might've worked out, but even then in these days it seems to be given the shaft in the field of beat-em-ups these days, with mostly the likes of Soul Calibur and Street Fighter being significantly more dominating franchises; not to mention that I've yet to see someone other than djp tackle the franchise within this circle; so I don't think that for practical reasons there'd be as much interest as the Mega Man tournaments.

It won't stop you from setting your own challenges up in there yourself. Maybe knock us dead with some Yoshimitsu vs Kazuya? Nina vs Michelle? Heck, maybe a bit of Jun Kazama versus Jin, her own son! :razz: If you've got the idea, then I say go for your own challenges, but I think if you want to see it turn into a serious competition, then there has to be more people interested than just a small clutch of them.

I've wanted to finish a tekken remix forever.

I would love a tekken remix tournament.

Make it two on two, then you have "Tekken Tag Remix Tournament":-P

You could tweak the concept a little and call it something like Tekken Tag Remix Tourney. Maybe teams of two or a mixer picks two themes or something.

Not sure how much participation you'd get. Tekken doesn't really have the draw of Mega Man.

This was actually one of the concepts I was thinking of, provided I get enough people to participate. If not, it'll have to be 1v1's. Basically what I was thinking is people pick a character and can use any of their themes from 1-3 and Tag, since the stages aren't as character-specific once the series hits 4

Tekken... Ah, the good old days... Been an avid fan since Tekken 2 on PS1, but haven't played it after Tekken 5. Actually, once upon a time I was working on Paul's theme from TTT, but never finished it, and eventually my hard drive crashed so that WIP is irretrievable. Hmm, now that I think about it, I actually was thinking about remixing Xiaoyu's theme from TTT or the intro theme from TTT. I guess I made it very obvious what my favorite Tekken soundtrack is...

In any case, if someone does end up coming up with a competition or a project, count me in.

Oh yeah! I loved playing Tekken back in the day, particularly Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag. I used to MESS PEOPLE UP with Yoshimitsu. I never realized there was only 1 Tekken remix on the site! I can recall a few tunes, but overall I'd have to go back and take a look at some of the music. Tekken was a great fighter nonetheless though. With that said, my participation in something like this would probably depend on the timing. It sounds like it could be fun, but I'm a little worn out on compos at the moment. The next one I'll probably participate in would be the next Maverick Remix Battle (because Mega Man is apparently all I can remix :-)), whenever that is. If something like this was in, say, the summertime, then perhaps. Cool idea Pete!

Now I'm not trying to hijack the purpose of the thread, but a compo idea I've always thought would be awesome would be a Sonic the Hedgehog compo following the same guidelines as the main Grand Robot Master Remix Battle. Each participant would pick a zone from a Sonic game (preferably one of the good ones: 1, 2, 3, S&K, Sonic CD, etc.) and would be put in a bracket format. Each mixer would then have to mix their zone's theme with that of their opponent's. Sonic obviously has a huge fan base, and yeah we already have a crapton of Sonic remixes, but very few that actually mix more than one theme together. Not that I have desire to coordinate a compo like this right now, just saying I think this would be completely awesome.

Not sure how much participation you'd get. Tekken doesn't really have the draw of Mega Man.

Meh, you don't need 32 (or even 16) people to do a tekken compo. Mega Man has had plenty of compos, we don't need another 20 remixes from the same series. I say do something new. However I won't be participating in any further compos, mega man or not, they are simply too time consuming.

One thing I will say - if you do this, try and make it so people don't end up with the same theme each time... with something like tekken, people have the opportunity to do the same character theme from different games (when applicable) if you do this.

Now I'm not trying to hijack the purpose of the thread, but a compo idea I've always thought would be awesome would be a Sonic the Hedgehog compo following the same guidelines as the main Grand Robot Master Remix Battle.

Get your own damn thread :P

Meh, you don't need 32 (or even 16) people to do a tekken compo. Mega Man has had plenty of compos, we don't need another 20 remixes from the same series. I say do something new. However I won't be participating in any further compos, mega man or not, they are simply too time consuming.

One thing I will say - if you do this, try and make it so people don't end up with the same theme each time... with something like tekken, people have the opportunity to do the same character theme from different games (when applicable) if you do this.

Yeah I was thinking like, 8 people would be good, maybe (MAYbe) 16... multiples of 4 make rounds easy. I wanted to keep it smaller basically because I have no experience running these things, and the less time I'm badgering Darke for advice, the less annoyed everyone'll be with me :P And, less rounds makes it more realistic to do different themes every round, although I like the idea of the themes of your character being up for grabs basically, and you can choose whichever ones you want during each round

Also, I was thinking if I'm running it, I will not be mixing... Until the last round; HEIHACHI STYLE!! Not that I'll be like, the big boss, end-all be-all remixer in the competition... I just wanna play too :D

Also, I'll miss you Will :(

Also, I was thinking if I'm running it, I will not be mixing... Until the last round; HEIHACHI STYLE!! Not that I'll be like, the big boss, end-all be-all remixer in the competition... I just wanna play too :D

So you would like Heihachi Mishima all over the winner of the compo? But who would be Devil Jin or Ogre or True Ogre? There are always like 4 "final" boss fights in Tekken :lol:

But no, that sounds like a fun idea.

So you would like Heihachi Mishima all over the winner of the compo? But who would be Devil Jin or Ogre or True Ogre? There are always like 4 "final" boss fights in Tekken :lol:

But no, that sounds like a fun idea.

Yo, this be the "King of Iron Fist Tournament"; to our knowledge, subsequent tournaments (which may or may not include demons of various types) DO NOT EXIST YET :D

Bottom line is, this shit should happen.

Yup, I agree. I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to do this, but it'll have to be in the summer or something, like SuperDuperXXX suggested so I won't be competing with any Darkomps. It sounds like there should be at LEAST 8 people who are interested, which is enough for comp #1 in my book (that'd give us 3 normal rounds and one HEIHACHI BATTLE :D ). Besides, I'm not going to kid anyone and say something stupid like "TEKKEN IS JUST AS POPULAR AS MEGA MAN PEOPLE JUST DON'T KNOW IT"

Anyway, yes. Name to be determined... King of Iron [somthing] Tournament seems to be a good formula, as suggested by SuperiorX