Bitwig Studio - New DAW in the making

SenPi

So somebody showed me this today http://bitwig.com/bitwig_studio.php

Looks like there is a new DAW in town (well not released yet), that looks like it will be pretty good competition for things already out there.

From what I can tell, it borrows heavily from Ableton Live as far as looks and workflow are concerned.

But its multi platform, VST 32/64 bit compatable, etc.

In the future it looks like they will also be releasing Networking updates to allow you to work with other people on the same project at the same time, natively.

I also see something about making your own synths/effects/etc with it (possibly similar to MAX for Live).

Anyways, it looks cool. I signed up for beta testing (that would be cool to get in on it :D)

What do you guys think?

Good piano roll or gtfo

One of my biggest gripes with FL is that it's butt ugly. This is one clean motherfu:!:

FL Studio is ugly? This is darker than FL Studio. X_X

I'm interested in this. Unfortunately, whenever I see some DAW rated to simplify super fast workflow and such, I download it, and the piano roll is just god awful to work in. Hopefully this Bitwig thing won't follow that trend. I'd be interested in a change of pace, just to change around my workflow a bit.

Good piano roll or gtfo

lololol lern2play or gtfo

FL Studio is ugly? This is darker than FL Studio. X_X

Think before you type. Luminance has nothing to do with aesthetics. FL's interface is inconsistent; you can look at the old FL devices and immediately know what version they're made in and whether they were built for a 1024 x 768 monitor or a 1600 x 1200 monitor (then again, Cubase suffers from the same problem, where you have sleek 6 interfaces next to horrible SX 1 boxes). This inconsistency can not be avoided with 3rd party plugins, but it's jarring within the DAW itself.

Live, whatever its other flaws are, never dug itself into the hole where an interface would start to look old. Meanwhile, the pixelfonts in FL Studio were already worn out in 1998 when webdesign started to take off. On a big monitor, those piano roll buttons take quite a bit of effort to hit if you have to click them.

The bar at the top of FL is especially horrible: it could be redesigned and look better -and- work better without sacrificing an ounce of usability.

lololol lern2play or gtfo

Good luck with note ms edits, because you're so perfect aren't you?

Performance =/= Precision

Sure you can record then do some edits with your mouse on a lackluster piano roll, but good luck being able to play anything you can think of.

I'd rather write my music and not have it limited by what my hands can physically do. I'm not knocking on keyboardists, but saying "lern2play or gtfo" is pretty rude to people who prefer to have more control by editing things manually.

Also, I stopped taking you seriously when you tried to say Live looks better. I prefer to have something that looks less like an old Windows 95 program with nothing but solid border rectangles.

• 3 weeks later...