Allegiant Air

RealFolkBlues

Guys, forgive me if I'm being e-tarded here (just got a laptop after like 4-5 years being off of the intarwebs,) but have you heard of Allegiant Air? They have some limits about where they will fly from and to and they apparently have some older planes, but they seem to be super cheap. My in-laws live in south Florida, and I found tickets to Orlando for like $33 a person at the beginning of March. Seems nuts to me.

Any experiences/comments/flames?

Guys, forgive me if I'm being e-tarded here (just got a laptop after like 4-5 years being off of the intarwebs,) but have you heard of Allegiant Air? They have some limits about where they will fly from and to and they apparently have some older planes, but they seem to be super cheap. My in-laws live in south Florida, and I found tickets to Orlando for like $33 a person at the beginning of March. Seems nuts to me.

Any experiences/comments/flames?

My sister used to work for them. They will spam you with hidden fees, baggage fees, etc. If you avoid all those, then they really are that cheap.

My sister used to work for them. They will spam you with hidden fees, baggage fees, etc. If you avoid all those, then they really are that cheap.

Brutal. It seems like half the time even if they had a bunch of fees you would still end up paying less. Does that sound right to you from what your sister/past experience has taught you?

my experience with them was beyond bad; i'm not one to refuse to use an airline, but these guys were nothing but unprofessional. Worst flying experience of my life. Hidden fees, surly staff, shitty airplanes, poorly designed logo (ok, joking on that one).

If you can manage to dodge the fees, that is a great price, and do it, but know that you will probably get what you pay for.

my experience with them was beyond bad; i'm not one to refuse to use an airline, but these guys were nothing but unprofessional. Worst flying experience of my life. Hidden fees, surly staff, shitty airplanes, poorly designed logo (ok, joking on that one).

If you can manage to dodge the fees, that is a great price, and do it, but know that you will probably get what you pay for.

Yeah, that all makes sense. Still, seems a viable option for po folk such as myself. Fees and staff we could put up with, but how shitty are these airplanes exactly, as my wife and her parents are not too much into flying? I personally wouldn't care (you're more likely to be struck by lightening than to be killed in a plane crash,) but I don't feel like piling my wife and son into an Air-Yugo would make for the start of a smooth vacation.

My wife and I have actually used Allegiant Air several times to fly from NC to Orlando, FL to visit family/friends, and have paid for others a bunch of times to fly to come visit us (since their tickets are so dirt cheap). We were never hit with any hidden fees (though my wife remembers the up-front fees being a little high, it was still super cheap in total), and the service was always what we expected on the flight (it wasn't "best ever" but it certainly wasn't rude) - they smiled and were polite. We were skeptical at first, but we always recommend flying with them now if the options exists.

I would give them a shot. I have never flown with them on a long flight (they don't have many destinations, which is what helps keep the cost down), and don't know if it is a worse experience flying with them on a longer flight.

Note: We always bought our tickets from their website - maybe that matters for fees?

My wife and I have actually used Allegiant Air several times to fly from NC to Orlando, FL to visit family/friends, and have paid for others a bunch of times to fly to come visit us (since their tickets are so dirt cheap). We were never hit with any hidden fees (though my wife remembers the up-front fees being a little high, it was still super cheap in total), and the service was always what we expected on the flight (it wasn't "best ever" but it certainly wasn't rude) - they smiled and were polite. We were skeptical at first, but we always recommend flying with them now if the options exists.

I would give them a shot. I have never flown with them on a long flight (they don't have many destinations, which is what helps keep the cost down), and don't know if it is a worse experience flying with them on a longer flight.

Note: We always bought our tickets from their website - maybe that matters for fees?

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback! I'm feeling pretty good about it pound for pound, and will probably give it a shot within the year. Thanks OCR!