OCR02368 - Metal Gear Solid "The Price of Freedom"

djpretzel

i'm loving this remix, especially how it goes from the best is yet to come to suddenly encounter. that part as softsteel mentioned made me feel like i was back in shadow moses and had just been spotted. the way it turned into MGS2-3 theme was a great way to end it.

The ending did lack power that i was expecting but it made up double for the emotional power in there, which for this game series? had plenty of emotion in there already.

Great job guys. keep up the good work

Thanks guys. This project was a blast and I learned so much from it.

The only things that would have been different if the piece had been finished is that the ending would have been louder (actually, I was out of headroom so it might be more accurate to say that the first 3/4 would have been softer) and I would have replaced the sampled solo trumpet with a real trumpet and real horn.

If any composers are interested, here what I used, as well as I can remember. (It's been almost 2 years since I wrote this)

String/brass- Symphobia, VSL Epic Horns, possibly Project Sam trombones

Piano- Native Instruments Steinway Grand

Trumpet- Samplemodeling "The Trumpet"

Percussion- Tonehammer Epic Toms, Heavyocity Evolve, maybe Stormdrum 1

Lexicon Reverb

The clicky percussion was done in FLStudio with various samples I tweaked a lot, but the main thing was sequenced and mixed in Cubase 5. Ozone 4 for the mastering.

....Too few people have the balls to take on a project of this magnitude. This... *bleeps self* I have heaped praise on Reuben for his interpretations. It is a standard i hold all MG remixes to, they are that damned good. To Come within sight of the bar is an achievement. To be able to grab hold of that bar is high praise indeed. I hope with your next remix you're able to rip that bar off its perch and start beating people with it.

Well done sir. This one's getting put in my top 50 playlist.

Hell yea, I really enjoyed this mix! There needs to be more Metal Gear on OCR!

I second that but i point you back to my statement: ..Too few people have the balls to take on a project of this magnitude. This... *bleeps self* I have heaped praise on Reuben for his interpretations. It is a standard i hold all MG remixes to, they are that damned good.

Metal Gear has a required level that just being OCR level wont cut it. The few MG remixes on this site have set new standards for OCR in general. I wouldn't mind more Metal Gear mixes but the few we have are so damned good i don't care that its a small number.

Whoa, had to come out of forum limbo to comment on this. This is without a doubt the best Metal Gear Solid remix I've heard to date, and what makes it so ironically tragic is that 128kb/s is the best rendition we'll ever get.

A remix that tackles the whole intro is something I've been interested in hearing and toyed with numerous times over the years, and while this one doesn't quite do that the fact that it kicks off with the same music the game introduces itself with is an excellent nod. To then go through some of the series' finest music just makes it better and better, and while I can hear where some areas could have used some extra polish if the opportunity were there, it's nonetheless an incredible accomplishment.

Well done! Now get some more made. ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Those vocals at the start.......8O. Wow. The beginning up until 1:50 was so tense, and the build-up was cool. Then it gets downright actiony and heroic from there. This is something that I could easily see being on the OST of a movie. The breaks in between the more filled-out areas give this much more life, and 3:45 to 4:15 makes for a great hero's overture or whatever the term would be. Liked the piano section, and ending it on the military sounding march was a great finish. Not bad at all.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02368 - Metal Gear Solid "The Price of Freedom"