Do you listen to your own songs?

Pavos

I agree 100%. In fact, I'm working on something now that I think is very similar to "From Within" as far as feeling and emotion.

I think it's important to listen to your old work, even if it may make you cringe, just so that you can see how far you've come. To me, seeing how much I've improved over the last ~10 years motivates me to continue improving and pushing myself further and harder to reach the next level.

These are absolutely great points and I've noticed something similar too. But also, I get inspiration and motivation when I notice that in the old terrible songs, there are good ideas (that I should totally recycle now), and I can tell that I had fun making them.

--Eino

I'm listening a lot my songs. Every of then. Even the first ever I made. I'm playing my songs in my home cinema and enjoy them. Some are crappy work, but sometime in those crap, I can find something useful like how I panned things, choice of sounds, rythm, weel everything that made this mix stand. I really love what I do and I'm improving every day.

The only thing is, I'm always asking if I'm ready for OCR. The bar is soo high, and listening to the posted mix make me feel cheap. But I still love much what I do and what I've done.

I listen to my stuff all the time. Mostly becasue, as has been said already, I make music in the style I like to hear it.

Far as listening to my old stuff, I do but it's bitter sweet. I listen to see how much I've grown as a musician, & also to see how much more creative i was back then. Actually started polishing old stuff that catches my ear because of it!

Every now and then I'll have a binge where I go through my old stuff. Usually only the stuff that I think had quality to it (I have a lot of stuff from college that I should probably sequence/track so it doesn't exist as manuscript forever). If I'm drunk then I'll include my OLR shit and other horrible things, just to giggle.

My more recent stuff though I'll listen to like once a week since, as most people have already stated, I write music that I like to listen to!

Yeah. A lot more than I thought I would actually.

I'm constantly getting better though (like, a lot faster than others just because I get so into music), so I've already put a lot of my old stuff behind me. Especially anything made 5 months ago or more.

Although, now that I remember there is one old song of mine in particular that I love to go back to listen to: the first song I ever finished. Mostly because of the composition and atmosphere of it. The production of it sucks (of course), but I still love it.

YES. To excess. I frequently go through binges of my own music only to later collapse in a funk of revulsion at my own narcissism.

That's not to say that there aren't real benefits of reviewing one's own work for the sake of improvement. But at it's core I'd have to say the practice is hedonic, at least for me. I enjoy the music that I make -- not only because I make music that I like, but also due to the added emotional attachment one feels for one's (intellectual or biological) offspring. Since songs are not other people that require or reciprocate affection, this is probably best done in moderation.