First venture in ChipTune (Technological T[[ERROR]] )

ShinnyMetal

isnt done yet but I wanna know if I going in the right kinda direction. I decided to cover one of my songs and try and do demix it. well here's the song

Done: http://tindeck.com/listen/ubgu

I added DCPM kick in it n such like Xenon said I should (thanks!). I decided to do just a straight cover for now than try to arrange it(which would prolly sound better for 8bit(I'm not that good yet))

here's the original for reference (which I cant make it at this speed)

http://tindeck.com/listen/cnoj

so uhm yeah. <3

What are you using for the demix? It sounds like FamiTracker, and if that's the case, the DCPM channel is used for really small samples, so you can crunch up a sample (or browse through their forum to find samples from other games like SMB3) to give your bass drum more 'oomf' like the original has. There are also tricks to use the triangle channel as a bass drum, but the bassline has to conform to that. Also, if you use the VRC6 setting, this gives you two more square channels with finer duty-cycles and a sawtooth that can double as a bass (specifically for the ostinato part you got going on). More channels could make it eaiser for a demix, depending on what parts you want to keep and what you can get rid of.

If you really want to make it work (VRC6 or standard 2A03), it would probably require a re-write of the song to capitalize on the capabilites of the chip as well as making sure you don't waste any channels or patterns on unnecessary phrases. This would be your best bet to making it sound as good as possible as a chiptune, rather than something along the lines of an 'attempt' to make a demix. Unless the song itself is already written with the limits of a specific chip in mind (as with the 2A03, two square and a triangle), it will more than likely require a re-write.

However, that's just for an NES sound. Chiptunes aren't specifically about that, so in reality there's no limit as to how many voices or channels you have, provided they are simple waves and whatnot. I know MilkyTracker has ten channels for whatever you want (sine, noise, etc.) so, depending on what you want to do, you've a lot of options.

But besides what I wrote above, you're headed in the right direction! :) I'm eager to hear more.