Choujin Sentai Jetman (Nes) - Area A Rock Mix (Now with Added Cookies)

Magellanic

Its nice to be sharing and posting something that isn't Mega Man. Its been a little too long in honesty. So basically I've been working on this arrangement for the past few weeks. Only in the last few days have I given it some serious time and attention. I think I'm finally happy with the structure.

Source:

Remix: Removed

To do:

• Mixing (I know, I should get into the habbit of doing it as I write)
  • Re-record solos (its just there to give an idea)
  • Record guitar leads before the breakdown, lead section to solos and end section
  • Write end section drum parts

Basically....everything needs doing apart from the arrangement. The game has a killer soundtrack and so when I couldn't find a remix on OCR I just had to give it a go.

Hope you enjoy and feedback is really appreciated.

Edit: I wasn't happy with the guitar style, so lightened it up a bit with a more rock style rather than metal.

o3o

YES a thousand times to the source material. The music in this crazy little super sentai game is just... Amazing! ESPECIALLY area A.

Area E was also pretty cool. FFS the stage select was pretty awesome too.

This arrange is also really great so far, really kind of gritty and messy, and the guitar could use a TINY bit of cleaning and the synth gets a little too powerful at times during the first part of the song.

This one sticks really close to the source material which is great.

The direction the song takes at 1:42 is stunning, but again I'm not a fan of that synth yet again. Maybe turn the gate effect down a little... Is this the Impulse VST?

Oh and btw a version with just the music is available here:

I've done a little update of the track. A few things were bugging me despite it being a WIP. I've done some mixing/eq-ing to clean it up a bit.

Remix WIP2: removed

Things I still need to do:

• Re-record 2nd lead guitar
  • Re-record Bass
  • Balance Synth levels
  • Cut out noise from guitar recording

The direction the song takes at 1:42 is stunning, but again I'm not a fan of that synth yet again. Maybe turn the gate effect down a little... Is this the Impulse VST?

Oh and btw a version with just the music is available here:

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to see someone is excited as I can't imagine too many people know of this game. I agree that I need to sort that specific synth out more than others. I'm not even sure that its staying in (its sylenth if you were interested)

Cheers for the Youtube link, I'll update the opening post.

CAVEAT: I may sound harsh, but I mean nothing but the best and I’m trying to help. :-)

<MODREVIEW>

Right, here’s my problem—your sound on this one isn’t all that full. The arrangement is quite conservative, but that might not be a huge problem; let’s address fullness, mixing, and the like—I’ll let someone else deal with arrangement issues.

First, that kick drum is pretty weak. If you’re gonna go rawk/metuhl, you’re gonna want a strong, punchy kick, probably with some “clicky” bits in there for the high end. I suspect some compression on the drums in general may help, especially if you can compress each part of the kit (i.e. kick, snare, overheads, hi/lo toms, etc.). Drums can make or break a track like this, and the weak ones here don’t help your case. Compression will, however, help said case.

While we’re on the subject of drums, I’d also like to mention that the actual programming of them is a bit unrealistic, as well. Go through your sequences and make sure a human could (and would) play them. Remember, a drummer only has two hands and two feet! Things like playing a crash at the same time as a hi-hat, playing a hyperactive fill, anything like that should be watched for. Voicing issues—that is, making sure velocities are varied (and realistic) enough for the genre would help your case.

Guitars: They’re not quite as thick as I’d like to hear, especially the rhythm guitars. Are you recording multiple takes and then layering those takes left and right? It’s hard for me to tell. A bit of compression might do wonders for these, as well. Perhaps even some cutting of the midrange EQ before you compress ‘em.

Finally, that bass guitar or whatever you’re using sounds like something from the Sega Genesis, IMO. Sequenced, I’d assume? Everything sounds so flat and uninspiring with it. You can get away with sequenced bass guitar, but you’re going to need to find a better version of said bass. Unfortunately, I haven’t got any idea where to find something really good aside from maybe one of Impact Soundworks’ libraries, which require Kontakt. EQ-wise, you wanna take out the low-mid and simply boost the lows—that way, the kick and the bass occupy slightly different levels of the bass spectrum.

I dig the song, I do. It’s just not OCR-quality, IMO, especially with the mixing issues and drum sequencing wonkiness. Hope you can improve the issues I’ve listed here and make this a truly worthy mix!

</MODREVIEW>

I just want to say many thanks Flex. I've already implemented some of your feedback and its sounding so much better (drums). The bass is something that I was going to change, but I got caught up in other parts of the track so forgot and it kind of stuck. So, yeah, I'm still trying to get something that fits. Even for the style that I'm trying to achieve you are 100% right about thickening up the guitars a little bit. I do have separate takes panned left and right. I'm going to re-record those though. There are some mistakes in those takes. I'll really try and polish this up. Hopefully the arrangement is substantial enough but its going to change a little bit now I imagine.

Again, thank you so much, I need the "harsh" honesty. I know you're now a mod, but the time given to critique is still really appreciated :)

Here is a version with some of the feedback implemented: Link removed

I thought I would post it so that if anyone wants to give further feedback they can see the state that the track is now currently in.

What needs to still be sorted:

Drum sequencing

Bass patch/sequencing

Lead guitar

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated (this time on the arrangement especially)

• 8 months later...

So, again I'm revisiting an old unsubmitted mix. I thought I'd give this one a once over and see how it turned out.

Mostly, its just production that's been altered. I could reprogramme the drums, but if I don't have to I really don't want to. In the meantime, I've layered them with a couple of more suitable samples. Some guitar parts have been re-recorded but the arrangement is essentially the same. I do intend on altering the drums at the end as they just don't work.

Link: Removed

• 2 weeks later...

This overall really close, IMO. There's just some small level issues. I believe I've finally mastered mixing rock and metal cleanly now, and I've found that having your lead guitar at -4dB, rhythm guitars at -5dB, and drums maxed out at 0dB with the proper compression will work. :D Also, you can start over on the synth lead volumes. Just drop it a lot, then raise it until you first hear it loudly enough. ;)

One other thing is to check and make sure you aren't overcompressing things. If you're using a compressor to keep volumes under control, don't do it too much; most of an instrument's character is in the parts of the sound wave that stray higher than its typical amplitude. It just doesn't seem like this song is really blowing me away just yet. The writing is there. Now just check your compression algorithms.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds thin. More mids. Sounds light. Less highs. Doesn't sound horribly thin or light, so a subtle fix to both of these should put it in a pretty good place. Mixing pretty good otherwise, tho you could afford a little more headroom.

From around 2:15 the track starts feeling like it's on repeat, some cutting of length, added effects, or some other changes during the second half of the track would help.

Sorry if I skip doing the source analysis beyond a quick listen to source. Another mod can check whether the track is too conservative, but after first listening to the remix, the source sounds familiar enough.

Pretty rocking track. Unless it's found to be super-conservative, do sub it once it's done. Nice work. :D

/half a mod review