Modern Games with Modern Soundtracks

Brandon Strader

I would like to nominate Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War. It is a 2005 flight simulator with possibly the best soundtrack in the entire Ace Combat franchise. Examples include, but are not limited to:

Wardog (The music for the second mission)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqb4J4iGHj0

Into the Dusk (melancholy rearrangement of the main theme "Razgriz")

Winter Storm (penultimate mission music)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SvukZNJYok

I also give some votes to Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Sonic World Adventure, and Sonic Colors. I would say "the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword" but I am predicting a surplus of remixes soon to arrive throughout the year.

Ace combat Zero spanish styled music too. Zero and the round table.

Alright folks, I've painstakingly added youtube links for all of the games, and partially tallied up votes, though I think someone like Rexy would be more suited to getting tallies (she's good at it). Maybe she'll volunteer. D:

Oh yeah, if they have 2 votes but you only see 1 vote in the thread, the other vote is from me. :-)

Not including Eternal Sonata was an embarrassing oversight.

SUPER MEAT BOY. That counts, right? Does it have to be on a console? Because I'd also nominate The World Ends With You, if not.

Funny story, I had both Binding of Isaac and Super Meat Boy on my list before I posted it, but I removed them because I deemed them too "small", in comparison to the games they were listed next to like God of War and Dante's Inferno. :-P But I'll add 'em back. As for TWEWY, yes it is modern enough. Just to reiterate, the listing is based on release year more than console or system. Also: <3

There's no mention about Wind Waker, Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword?

Someone said they would have mentioned Skyward Sword, except they expected a buttload of Skyward Sword mixes to pop up on the site over the next year. They're definitely applicable, except for any repeated music, such as the overworld theme from the original NES -- unless it is incorporated into the new music in a substantial way that feels modern. Also: <3

Was this you nominating all 3 or?

Oh wait, this is voting and not just getting as many different games up as possible? Well why don't I just sneak in a vote for Scott Pilgrim :)

Heck yeah, man! Thanks. Voting for games on the list, especially ones that already have votes, will be very important. It'll separate them from the ones that get cut.

Ace combat Zero spanish styled music too. Zero and the round table.
This is the round table. Dead men words hold no meaning. 8)

If we're going that far back, then I'll simply vote for all PS2/PSP Ace Combat. Too bad PS1 isn't allowed, cause I'd have added Electrosphere as well.

Now here's a franchise that deserves its own tribute album. ;)

I'll also throw one vote for Okami. That game is a masterpiece and the work of Masami Ueda on the soundtrack is simply breathtaking.

Btw Brandon, if I may ask: why are you building this list in the first place? Are you gonna direct a project for the game that gets most votes?

I would suggest Spiral Knights, but since it isn't a well known game it seems doubtful it'll get any votes which is a shame, the music is really great, and only gets better in context with the game itself. Also Shadow of the Colossus?

I agree with all of these games in terms of their overall soundtrack, they're all games I would buy the OST for (or already own).

Okami

Halo

Sonic Colors

PKMN Black and White

Cavestory

I'm not sure about Prof Layton, it has some good music, but it also has a lot of supremely repetitive music that is nice at first but gets old really really quickly.

I don't think I can comment on much else cause the rest look like games I haven't played or heard of, or the music just doesn't jump out at me.

From the selection given on the first page one stuck out the most,

O-(freaking hell i love this game)-kami

Then there was sonic unleashed aka world adventure.

metal gear solid franchise

Sonic colours is pretty cool from what ive heard,

Portal 1 and 2 for the ending themes and some of the levels but the music wasnt memorable apart from the endings :/

most of the others listed i either havent played or they arent memorable for me (maybe left for dead 2 with all we wanna do is eat your brains)

As for the indie games both binding of issac and super meat boy

Now excuse me i need to get reacquainted with the okami soundtrack.

now imagine you've just reached a beautiful cliffside over a clear blue ocean, the sun slowly setting, cherry blossum pettles falling from the nearby tree, and your a white wolf. just wow...

While game music itself stopped after the

, here are some notable attempts to recapture that magic. And yes, LotL is modern.

Really, this list is easy!

Contact (NDS) - Masafumi Takada

God Hand - More Takada

- Guess who

- Do you see a theme going on here

Takada is probably the best VGM composer to have come around in the last decade of gaming. And I'm serious about that. The guy is a damn freakin' genius. The 90s had its Uematsu (or Kondo if you prefer... or Hisayoshi Ogura*, if you're an oddball like me), but the 2000s are all Takada's.

(Arcade, PSP) - ZUNTATA

Strania: The Stella Machina (Arcade, XBLA) - Yasuhise Wantanabe (aka .YACK)

Wartech: Senko No Ronde (Arcade, 360) - .YACK

DoDonPachi Resurrection (Arcade, 360)

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor (Wii) - Norio Hanzawa

(Wii) - Kenji Yamamoto

(Wii) - Kenji Yamamoto

(Wii, and yes, I'll count it as a "good" soundtrack, but it's only barely in there. There's some good jams to be had) - Kuniaki Haishima

Muramasa The Demon Blade (Wii) - many composers

(NDS, PSP) - Shigeki Hayashi

I could probably be at this for a while but my mind is hitting a blind a spot. You may proceed to sweep these under the rug, lol.

*The original big three of ZUNTATA, Ogura (OGR), Tamayo Kawamoto (Tamayo), and

, for their contributions to the field of VGM technically exist outside all of chronology and datedness - they stand far above anything most composers (and those who dream of composing) attempt and they never age : D

EDIT: saw one of the edits to the Op asking for "appeal" and "good for remixing". Umm, ok. Most of my links still apply (I plan on remixing tracks from Contact one day because that music demands you listen to it). .... After relistening to them, yeah, they're good.

I had a little lol at seeing a game that wasn't even released yet be on the list.

It is becoming apparent that I need to make a spreadsheet. Though as far as I know to this point, votes counted. I'll have to go through again sometime and put 'em in a spreadsheet.

Btw Brandon, if I may ask: why are you building this list in the first place? Are you gonna direct a project for the game that gets most votes?

It's an idea I really liked and I pitched it to djp at MAG X -- an album that covers modern games. DJP suggested opening it to community influence in this manner, with the voting and opinions and stuff. It'll probably be a while before I can realistically start it, so I'll get a fair deal of intel from this thread, let some of the OCR albums be released (including ff1 and ff2) and I'd definitely want to start this as soon as the coast is clear.

But for the moment, the voting is going to be good just to gain intel on what the community would want to hear the most.

And it won't be a single game, it'll probably be the games that get the most votes. That's why I really want to whittle it down to a smaller list of games.. maybe 2 discs worth.

Over 9,000 unique suggestions

....... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Can you lower it to 5 of your top picks?

maybe 2 discs worth.

If you're suggesting enough games to make a disc on its own, that's no good. :-P This should inspire you to suggest a couple unique games, sure, but try to choose things that others would be able to relate to, and also vote for.

It's an idea I really liked and I pitched it to djp at MAG X -- an album that covers modern games. DJP suggested opening it to community influence in this manner, with the voting and opinions and stuff.[..]

And it won't be a single game, it'll probably be the games that get the most votes. That's why I really want to whittle it down to a smaller list of games.. maybe 2 discs worth.

Oh, I understand the need for a shorter list now. Sorry for my twenty suggestions. ;P

Awesome project is awesome. I support this endeavor 100%. :smile:

It's worth mentioning though, that most of these soundtrack have production values already equal or above OCR bar.

Toping these modern professional compositions will be a tall order for the remixers.

It's worth mentioning though, that most of these soundtrack have production values already equal or above OCR bar.

Toping these modern professional compositions will be a tall order for the remixers.

Yeah. My remixing philosophy is that a remix stands apart from the source material. There's always a way to work with something regardless of how great it is, and your remix doesn't stand in opposition or try to one-up the original material. It might not be as good, or it might be better, that's subjective, but the fact is that it would be unique to your style and probably a great song in its own right.

- NDS -Masafumi Takada (Other tracks - Habara -
)

- GCN - Masafumi Takada

- NDS/PSP - Shigeki Hayashi

/
- Wii - Kenji Yamamoto

I would say God Hand, but that OST is already perfect in every single way - any interpretation by any OCRemixer would more than likely lose what made those tracks so special in the first place. To go off of what Mokram was saying, that's almost all ready the case with many of Takada's soundtracks; in most cases there is little wiggle room.

EDIT:

lol, like anyone is going to vote for obscure Atlus DS games

It's worth mentioning though, that most of these soundtrack have production values already equal or above OCR bar. Topping these modern professional compositions will be a tall order for the remixers.

I'm going to disagree here, with gusto

it's almost entirely a question of arrangement, and every remixer has already held to a specific standard of doing so

- NDS -Masafumi Takada (Other tracks - Habara -
)

- GCN - Masafumi Takada

- NDS/PSP - Shigeki Hayashi

/
- Wii - Kenji Yamamoto

Games added. :-)

I already voted for some games, but Pokemon Black and White came after I voted. Can I vote for that game as well, or has my voting privileges been expired?

Vote counted. :-)

The only place where there'd be an issue is if someone tried to sneak multiple votes for the same game. But I trust people to not do that, and to point it out if it happens. :-)