Modern Games with Modern Soundtracks

Brandon Strader

Vote counted and The Darkness added! I like "Hope" from that game. I'd add a second vote for it from myself but it seems a bit too early. And why nobody is rushing in to vote? D:

EDIT: I've begrudgingly added 3 votes for Katamari. :-P

Just kidding. I was waiting for "official votes" but it's just people saying "yar har!"

I guess that's close enough to count as a vote.

Vote counted and The Darkness added! I like "Hope" from that game. I'd add a second vote for it from myself but it seems a bit too early. And why nobody is rushing in to vote? D:

EDIT: I've begrudgingly added 3 votes for Katamari. :-P

Just kidding. I was waiting for "official votes" but it's just people saying "yar har!"

I guess that's close enough to count as a vote.

I love the Darkness comics and I love the Darkness game! Lighthouse Massacre is fuckin' killer and I've long wanted to make a remix of it, but never have....yet.

Tally up a vote for the darkness!!!!

Then what's the point of elimination if any game knocked out can instantly regain all its votes?

Does this mean anyone can bring back any game from the first list and add +1 vote to it?

Well I'm not gonna let someone vote for every game that was knocked out, haha... it's more of a way for the popular ones to sneak their way back in. It's not perfect, but the voting has gotten much slower, so I dunno... :]

@Hoopy: Super glad someone finally voted for Bastion. D:

I'm really into the indie game soundtracks lately. These are modern games right?

Shatter Official Soundtrack by Module

http://sidhe.bandcamp.com/album/shatter-official-videogame-soundtrack

Frozen Synapse Soundtrack by nervous_testpilot

http://www.frozensynapse.com/soundtrack.html

Also: Super Meat Boy!, Return All Robots, but these are obvious.

EDIT: Sorry I seem to have come in a bit late? Voting etc already going on? Ah well, I did want to drop my $.02 anyway. :)

No it's not too late to vote or to nominate new games. I'm just a little tird so I'll add the stuff from the last couple posts and any subsequent posts later after I wake up. :-P

Ah ok cool. In that case, here's another gem I recently discovered* that has me floored.

http://musicstore.gareth-coker.net/album/inmomentum

* I think this was linked from Big Giant Circles' bandcamp recommendations page.

Portal 2 has a very

(and
) soundtrack.

I'd also like to nominate Shadows of the Damned for

the film score methodology to its soundtrack (a rarity for modern games).

If I had to judge a game's BGM simply by its overall tone alone, I could find no better and appropriately fitting example than the long forgotten PS2 gem Dog's Life. (

, think Earthbound meets Beyond Good and Evil.)

And, if we've completely moved on the voting phase, I'd like to throw my support in for killer7 and The World Ends with You as representatives that VGM doesn't have to follow distinct and established conventions.

If I'm restricted to only voting for soundtracks from the Round 2 list, I'll pick Hitman: Blood Money (because despite being very much a film score, Kyd manages to infuse a great deal of flair into his works) and inFamous 2 (despite the comparisons to [and preferences for] Bastion's soundtrack, I still like it better than Bastion's music).

I've heard the Portal 1 soundtrack, and it's really good, in my opinion; it was sort of the border between ambient and techno.

I also like the Amnesia soundtrack, primarily for Mikko Tarmia's talent with producing eerie melodies.

Not many other modern soundtracks I like, sadly; when it comes to game music, I'm mostly reserved for the '90s.