Modern Games with Modern Soundtracks

Brandon Strader

Votes counted. Except for the old games. This is Modern Games, not retro games. :-P

Considering that the thread is not nearly as active as it used to be, maybe people could focus on voting for games on the list instead. Check the spreadsheet in the first post, very important! Choose games that are either in the Set 2 list or the death pile to the right.

This'll probably be the final round of voting (no set 3). I'll choose games based on what got the most support this round.

Scott Pilgrim, Deus Ex and Infamous get my votes. Especially inFamous 2. Very percussive.

Final Fantasy XIV actually has a really cool soundtrack. Even if the game is shit-tastic.

I have counted your statement about ff14 as a vote, even if you didn't intend it as such.

I gotta say Final Fantasy 14 really pisses me off simply due to the fact that Square Enix brought Nobuo Uematsu back to make an amazing score for a new Final Fantasy 14 game, but the game was pure gutter crust scraped from the ass of a demon. It's totally not worthy of Uematsu's music. And honestly I'm surprised he even agreed to do it, but maybe he didn't know it would be so bad. Anyway sorry about the rant, votes updated... haha...

And yeah, I'm surprised more people didn't vote for FF in general. 3 votes? I thought FF was somewhat of a "thing" around these parts. Then again it is 12 and beyond, so.... yeah.

I should Ninja-Edit all of the FF votes over to Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and The Last Story :-P

That has me thinking, since retro game soundtracks aren't considered, what about throw-back games, particularly re-makes and re-releases? I know that the Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection was released last year containing both new and old music from FFIV, which also goes for DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY and DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY. Would Katamari Forever also not count since it's mostly arranged music from the first few Katamari games (Pre-2005)? A few more considerations might include:

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (PS release vs. iOS release [Co-op/PvP Mission Music])

Shin Megami Tensei Persona 2: Innocent Sin (1999 Japanese release vs. 2011 US release)

Super Street Fighter IV

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

Contra 4

The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (MGS2 vs. MGS Peace Walker)

Any Nintendo property

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping up for more votes on the currently listed games.

Might be good to not suggest any new games... seems like the interest is going to go down, and we've got enough nominations to be honest.

So yeah, I'd like to get some more votes, figure out set 2, then leave this thread open for general discussion about modern games that have good modern soundtracks.