OCR01398 - *YES* Guardian Legend 'The Legend of Lightning Larry'

zykO

HAHAHAHAHA Start the track by dying NICE! Death is always a suitable place to start from I find. WOW good stuff all around. The three melodic parts.... center left and right work SO WELL TOGETHER... it's amazing. So full yet not crowded.... great improvisational approach to the melody. Stuff like at 3:13 is brilliant, when the instruments are talking to eachother..... like a real ensemble when one person plays something then another person spontaeneously echoes it. The fast filter envelope on one of the guitars sounds like water bubbles sometimes causing crazy textures! I LOVE IT!

YeS

omg. TEH GUARIDANZ LEGENDZ. INSTANT YES.

I love the impromptu sound-effects created by the guitar to establish mood. And, by the way, that's another great selling point. There is a definite mood created by all the under and over-lying textures of sound.

I'm not too keen on the humanized note rhythms [sic], though I know quite well that is a very personal Zyko signature move. So really, that criticism is a matter of taste and control.

So yes, TGL-bias. Who's gonna stop me? African-American, please

YES

Guardian Legend NSF - Tracks 11 & 8

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ngt.rsn - The Letter (ngt-102.spc)

omg. TEH GUARIDANZ LEGENDZ. INSTANT YES.

:-D Too bad this song isn't about how GrayLightning and myself are ladies' men, but as weed cryptically told me a long while back "you don't wanna be lightning larry, trust me!" You know, I really didn't get much exposure to video games growing up. I didn't even really get good at this game or anything like that, but I did borrow Guardian Legend from a friend and played it a little bit. I actually remember Track 10 from the NSF the most and used to listen to that a hell of a lot. Wish to death someone would remix that. Liked Track 31 as well.

Played this one back on VGF51 to end the show strong. It was my favorite track from Dwelling of Duels: Scrolling Shooters, and I've been nagging weed about subbing it ever since, cuz it's awesome.

Nice stuff on the intro, then I really liked the acid freestyle-ish solo from :18-:50 alongside those nice pads to fill out the back. I think the drums should have been beefier, as they're on the plain side and need that power, but I loved the patterns there and the bassline was tru pimpin' as well.

The melody coming in at 1:12 was so good; I loved the aggressive tone and all of the guitar harmonization I heard. Good stuff switching up the flow a bit at 2:03 and freestyling instead of simply repeating the first verse over again. Good break in the action before heading back to the melody at 2:34. Loved the little belltones here as well, as well as the variations weed took care to provide in each and every verse.

And nice work including the Ninja Gaiden reference from 3:02-3:27. I KNEW I heard it somewhere back when I first heard this mix, but could never put my finger on it. The last section at 4:04 was such a strong close. I though the overall sound lacked sharpness, but I think the volume simply could have been higher. In any case, awesome shit. Been waiting for this one for such a long time. It's worth it to beg, oh yes it is.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, this has nothing to do with the coolest members of the Judge panel? Lightning and Larry, ok fine the cooler former and the lame latter. :lol:

Quality as usual from weed. I thought the production and mixing here could be a bit tighter though. Personally would have did some tweaking on the guitar with some compression and EQ, but the arrangement is ACE and it more than makes up for the minor gripes I had. Keep in mind, as someone who has been listening to Zyko for 3 yrs now, I have high expectations. :)

Good and enjoyable stuff weed. YES

• 3 weeks later...