Sonic 4! Episode II

Deathtank

I believe because of the whole 'we lost the originals source code' excuse that the physics were modeled after Sonic Rush, which of course was nothing like the Genesis games.

That's a pretty bad excuse. :/ If you're going after old game feel, you should model old game physics. Unless they were coding it weirdly, all they would've had to do was raise the value of the gravity constant. Floating jumps are caused by a low gravitational pull (or a lower number to subtract from vertical speed). Seriously, it's not hard to just increment the number until it feels a bit stronger. (Unless they're bad programmers and put the number everywhere instead of putting it in a constant)

So no, it's not that they couldn't, it's that they didn't want to.

The first one had Jun Senoue trying to imitate Nakamura's style and not doing particularly well (when Jun himself has made his own fantastic Sonic music; see: Rusty Ruins)... And they thought they could get a "retro" sound by using a crappy compressed drum sample because I REMEMBER THOSE DRUM SOUNDS FROM THE PAST BEST SONGS EVER.

:( I always liked that drum.