OCR01380 - Landstalker "Rare Mineral Addict"

djpretzel

I have nothing good to say about this remix. I think it sounded horrible and I'm surprised it was accepted.

Personally I think that this mix is rather good although a little simplistic towards the middle...

Which isn't really a bad thing. Lets you relax from the business of the earlier parts.

I think this is where I say "firsst p0st 0m6sz!"

I was first introduced to Shnabubula back early this year after a submission of mine was compared to his work. Since then, I've been very much a 'fan' [well, I prefer the term 'appreciator' :)] of his tracks. There aren't many others that I've found at this community that really enterprise with their mixes to the same extent, so it's always inspiring to hear new material by the guy, and this is no exception. I totally dig the wacky and imaginative sounds - it's very refreshing to hear them. Makes me want to go away and fiddle around with effects! I noticed in the main review, the samples were mentioned as being sub-par, and perhaps in places they are, though due to the processing I think it really brings them out and makes them shine, and more just makes them "unique" as opposed to "bad".

Compositionally the track is solid too. Strong, varied, and often complicated (jazz) harmony which does most likely set the track aside and make it rather unaccessible. Great syncopated rhythms; very funky - I always look out for time signature mutilation in these tracks. There's enough original compositional ideas in this to constitute being an original track as opposed to a remix.

I've not played the game, but I have heard the original soundtrack and I've seen some screenshots [thanks kindly to him for that]. It's a really nice soundtrack in my humble opinion; one of my favourite genesis soundtracks now! Lots of jazzy moments on it. I'm almost tempted to pick up one of the tracks to try mixing myself sometime [probably one of the world map themes. Who knows?!]

This doesn't fall short at all and I'm glad it was YES'd. Keep up the good stuff. I anticipate new material!

--

Also Assface [*giggle*], I realise this sort of material isn't going to be appreciated by a substantial amount of the audience [no doubt due to the fact an amount of people are not, let's say 'adjusted' to listening to this sort of experimentation], though I do believe it's by no means "horrible". Try and listen with an open mind - I do not believe this is experimentation for experimentation's sake, nor do I believe that it's superfluous or excessive. I can think of much harder music to listen to than this.

Okay out I go!

Landstalker will always have a special place in my heart because it was the cover story in the first Sega magazine I ever bought, and when I finally got round to playing it (12 years later!) I loved it. Anyway, Shnabubula's mix takes an already fairly unconventional theme in several new and unexpected directions. It's consistently engaging, challenging and surprising - just when you think he's about to settle into a groove, Shnab brings in a new melody, bassline or beat. As for the "sub-par" samples, I didn't have a problem with them. The focus never rests long enough on one element to expose any flaws, and anyway, I get the feeling it's supposed to sound just a little bit lo-fi.

Some familiarity with the source material probably helps, as does an open mind and an interest in original, unpredictable, experimental music.

Shnabulous (sorry).

Y'know those musicians that people sometimes enjoy because of their talent but don't get enough love/popularity over all because the majority of people, for some gay reason, prefer their talentless whiney pop hits and popular radio bunk? Y'know who I mean, guitarists like Don Ross, bassists like Victor Wooten and drummers like Carter Beauford? The kinds of musicians that let their skill throb through their music?

There is no doubt in my mind that Shnabublua is a musician of this caliber. His maticulous sequencing and professional ear for synths helps him produce tracks the likes of which I've never heard equalled.

Don't listen to the negative feedback Shnabublua, you'll never please the masses with your style unless you see fit to change it... but you'll always be one of the few producing songs of the highest, most top-notch quality on OCR... whether people see it or not.

11/10

Hmmmm...I can feel the musical creativity definately, and he has some great skill, not many people can pull this sort of thing off.

But as for me, I wasn't feeling any "heart" in this...Whatever though, I guess it's just not my style...For some reason, it just felt like there was no depth...even the bass feels like it's lilting around with the flutes, ha...Maybe I'm just too cookie cutter.

Nice work though...Even if I don't really like it, I do appreciate it.

Edit: Just for the record, when I meant "no depth" I didn't mean musically, I just meant in terms of sound spectrum in general. (to my ears anyway)

A lot of people will talk about how quirky and "zany" the sound is of shnabubula's mixes are, but that's not really the strength or the attraction of his mixes. In fact, I think that sound is pushed a little too far and is bordering on irritating in this mix.

But in the end, it's greatly diminished by strength the incredible complexity of the arrangement, which is not only "solid", but excellent and incredibly refreshing. The drums really seem to be a strong point here (especially around 3:54) with the amount of times they warp and shift around, changing tempo and meter.

There's a lot of other things to notice going on in this mix, but pointing them out would be unnecessary and take away from the composition as a whole. And while I think the sound is starting to delve into annoying territory, there's a level of compositional complexity that you just can't get from any other artist on OCR.

I haven't played the game ,so i can't compare the original. Although i think i will after hearing this R-Type Delta inspired low bass sound. It freaking rocks !!

Shnabubula is well known for making weird and dissonant remixes, but i'm all for it. Let's face it..we've all heard much less thought out songs get into OCR ,right?

This one reeks of strange quality :lol:

FINALLY Landstalker gets a remix!! Took y'all long enough...

This one is a strange one, I'll admit. For those that don't know, it's the song that plays when the Island Map is displayed. That being said, it's pretty faithful to the original, even if it is a bit crackheaded and occasionally dissonant in some parts.

Overall, a very well-done bit. I like. :D

Excellent remix... this is very much my style of music... random time signatures...random samples... like a remix on crack and acid at the same time. However, the remix is also very consistant in an abstact way... and leaves you wanting more. Shnabubula you have gained a loyal fan, I can't wait to hear your next work.

• 2 weeks later...
FINALLY Landstalker gets a remix!! Took y'all long enough...

Afaik one more WIP from Usa is still in work. It's an piano-arrangement of "Treasure Hunter Lyle" (2nd Map Theme, Lyle's Theme). Currently it's just completed to 50% and it sounds really great.

And before I forget, the correct name of the Game is "Land Stalker". Anyone can read it in Romanji on the Soundtrack. ^^

Wow, Shnab, I heart you. I really do. Every mix you make, I just love unconditionally. This song is so quirky, I love it. This mix reminds me of one of my favorite games for the SNES, Big Sky Troopers. I want to call it goofy but at the same time, you could take it seriously. It's confusing.

...now I wonder what a Big Sky Troopers mix would sound like after it was passed through the Shnab Machine.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Still an awesome track, doing what great mixes do: generating interest in the original soundtrack. I'd never heard of Landstalker before this one, but I became a big fan of the source tune after this one. Sam can pretty much secure my interest in any piece of video game music based on his ReMixes. He picks his tributes well.

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01380 - Landstalker "Rare Mineral Addict"