OCR01380 - Landstalker "Rare Mineral Addict"

djpretzel

Some of the sections seem really minimalist, but the arrangement is so interesting that anything too dense would really make things impossible to hear. Great rhythmic ideas, and the interplay between instruments sounds awesome. I loved the section where it dropped out everything but keys and bass, both panned. It was a weird section, but it just really worked. Some of the woodwinds were a little naked as far as modulation it seemed, or it may have just been the samples, but it didn't really detract too much.

The playful ending is great. :-D

This is a lengthy mix with a somewhat steep learning curve, but if you take the time to really listen to it, there's a lot of great ideas here, and it gets better with each listen.

• 1 year later...

I can't even express my deep love for this song. I don't know another song to make me feel so physically every time. Not emotionally per say, just really stir a certain momentum in me.

What I look for in good music, specifically, is that it has a message, it doesn't bore me, it emotes, it puzzles, it involves, it progresses, it's original, it finishes making it's statement in a timely fashion without redundancy, and pleases all the way through. This is one of the few tracks that achieves and in fact exceeds in every category.

The only songs I have to compare it to AT ALL are Squarepusher's Boneville Occident and Aphex Twin's 54 Cymru Beats.

In the running for my personal top 10 songs of all time.

Thank you so much Sam.

• 8 months later...

It's interesting that the sound is getting flak in this thread - I've thought that this style of Shnab-sound is at its best in this particular tune. Everything is clear and airy, there's a huge amount of playful detail that is so much fun to listen to.. Of course much of this is due to the superbly lush, complex arrangement.. this isn't just the rollercoaster ride, this is pretty much the whole theme park crammed into a bit over four and a half minutes.

I've played Landstalker a bit, and seen it played a bit more. I think the spirit in this track does the fun and unique game a great justice.

--Eino

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01380 - Landstalker "Rare Mineral Addict"