From Piracy to Privacy - a new piece of legislation as threatening as SOPA

LuketheXjesse

Not true. Downloading files from Megaupload is not illegal. Using Megaupload to distribute copyrighted works certainly is, but a lot of legitimately sharable material was stored on Megaupload as well. That's my biggest complaint with the Megaupload shutdown (well, second biggest--biggest legitimate one anyway). Lots of people used Megaupload for legit storage and their files are now just gone with no warning because of circumstances they may have had no part or even awareness of. That's not okay.

You do have a point. I've been rambling on about this whole Megaupload dilemma that I forgot that not everything was copyrighted material. Nevertheless, the government seizure of megaupload and subsequent acquiring of all that information is absolutely deplorable, and it must not be used to destroy the lives of American citizens.

Jack Keiser, post in this thread! The internet needs you!

Not gonna happen. This thread has nothing to do with copyright law, and he knows that he can make an ass out of himself over any other subject so he refrains.

And I know there's a few Texans here; if any of you are in Lamar Smith's district, kindly kick his ass out this year.

This. Holy fucking shit, this.

yes, this one was around before SOPA supposedly, but the current state of this is unknown to me at this time.

Honestly, I worry a bit more about ACTA right now as it was already signed here in America and is coming close to being signed in Europe. But since it is a trade agreement, according to a friend, it really doesn't matter if Europe signs or not, we're already in. There's multiple parts to ACTA but relevant to this, it seems to do something similar by forcing ISPs to monitor what we do otherwise they'll get sued.