OCR01381 - Final Fantasy X "Journey's End"

djpretzel

Excellent work you three. It's a very soothing, dreamlike mix and a great take on the original. I should say Pixietricks takes this thing to a whole new level. The quality of the vocals are well beyond what I'm used to hearing on this site and the lyrics fit perfectly; I'm totally impressed. This is something I'd expect to see on an official arrangement album. I mean, I had this one playing in my car when a friend said he really liked the song and asked what group it was. O_o Kudos on the water drops too, they add a lot to “feel” of it. For me, this collaboration sets a new benchmark for what a remix can be.

In a word: wow.

This mix is simply beautiful. The somewhat drifting instrumentals are the perfect counterbalance to Jill's voice, which is downright hypnotic. Everything about this mix exudes quality and effort. I can see where it took almost a year to complete it... it was worth the effort, guys.

This mix, unlike many others I've reviewed, is more than an excellent mix, it's a stellar musical piece that would be perfectly at home standing on its own technical, vocal, and musical merit. THIS is taking music and making it your own, people. I think this trio of remixers (pixietrix, my new idol, in particular) just changed everything about what I expect from a remix.

Words cannot express just how excellent a work you have done. Keep it up, you three.

This is a great mix. no need for me to try to spell out exacly how, its been covered. The remixes by these elite are starting to make me depressed. I thought when i was browsing this site 2 years ago, 'hey i could do a remix' but everytime i got some tunes together the site got better without me. heh. now the mixes here are better than any other material in mainstream or otherwise. Music 10 vocals 9 material, hey its FF isnt it? 10

Twas this song that introduced me to the site (searching for FFX remixes), and who could think of a better introduction! The ambience is chilling yet, breathtaking, the rhythm and syncopation with the 6/4 beat grab your attention, while pixietrix counters the warm bass pads with a refreshing vocal that never grows old on you.

I also really love the subtle celtic instruments from People of the Far North, just remarking every now and then with the melody, in such a way that you wonder "Was it there or not?" and before your mind grabs it, it's gone.

If there's any part that I would change, it's when Jill sings the two notes a single tone apart on the words "side" and "died". Not that they wouldn't work, but it sounds like they ought to resolve, or maybe it just needed to be a bit tighter with the rhythm and tuning to get the full effect.

I'm interested to know how you guys collaborated on this song, what the process was, did you meet up or exchange WAVs over the internet, etc etc.

Indeed, it was pretty straightforward for me, too. Seph sent me the mp3 and I got to work listening and singing along. When I thought I had come up with something appropriate, I sent him a rough draft recording of my singing over the mp3, just so he could hear how it would sound. But when I rerecorded later, I sent him the vocals separately and he and Gray mixed them in. And as Gray was remastering/spicing things up, he hosted the song online for us to hear and comment on the changes. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Got-damn. This piece is too wonderful. The track is so soothing, so relaxing, and just so damn smooth. The vocals are gorgeous. This one's going straight to my Archos and this here Joytune. I'll def. be looping this track for weeks to come. Hell, I'm loopin' it now. Sephfire, GrayLightning, Pixietricks: I am completely stunned by this incredibly euphonic piece of sound yall have created. Many thanks, and I look forward to more of your works - solo or together in any combination.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the best remix with lyrics I´ve heard! Normally, I don´t prefer mixes with lyrics, because they steal the attention from the music, but this one: WOW. The lyrics had some depth in themselves, and they didn´t pop up everywhere, so there was plenty of music left for music-diggers like me.

Great work, GL, Seph and Pixie. I´m looking forward to a possible next work from you dudes + dudette. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first time I heard this mix was very late in the night, and for some reason I thought that it lacked excitement and that it was repetetive. After about a week, I was bored and decided to listen to it again, and I have no idea how I could have ever been displeased with this remix. The production is simply amazing, and the vocals are sung extremely well, there are so many tiny things in this mix that make it go above and beyond, like the chimes. While it's not one of my absolute favorites, it definitely deserves a look.

• 1 month later...

Ok, we've got some "special features"-style bonus material here. The mp3s below show the progression of Journey's End from it's earliest draft (before it was a collab) to the final draft currently posted on OCR. This may give you some insight into the creative process and show exactly what each remixer contributed. Enjoy. 8)

Journey's End - first draft

The original remix composed by myself before pixie or Gray were involved.

Journey's End - second draft (vocals)

After I contacted pixietricks, this is the rough vocal draft she wrote and recorded, transforming Journey's End from a simple arrangement into a song.

Journey's End - third draft

Once I received the vocal tracks from Jill, this is the final track I came up with and finally submitted. As you can hear, it had its share of production issues, which eventually led GrayLightning to offer his talents ...

Journey's End - final

... which resulted in the final version of the remix that made it into OCR.

A great deal of work went into this remix from conception to completion, but the results were worth it. It was a true pleasure to hear my own work molded and perfected by two of OCR's most talented musicians. I look forward to any chance of working with them again someday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have never heard that song from FFX and I should really kick myself up and buy that game, but this mix is so beautifully haunting and I really gotta put this on outside on a starry summer night and relax to this in the backyard. Spiritual melody + pixietricks's elegant, springwater-pure voice (did I forget to say BEAUTIFUL?! ^o^) = score of 110%

• 3 weeks later...

Did I not review this one yet? This track took a while for me to listen to, I was never drawn in by the begining sound, but once I started listening, I couldn't stop. It's one of my favorites now, and I think probably the best work Pixie has done on the site (though I love Zelda: Prayer). I'm in love with your voice, Pixie. It's got a wonderful ageless and fantastical quality to it.

EDIT: By the way, the link doesn't work for me T_T

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01381 - Final Fantasy X "Journey's End"