Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DnB: "Times Like These"

TGH

I'm at it again with more shit.

http://www.box.com/s/7176vou986qqh7lq077n

Sources: Great Canyon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ty1fEqzQ2U

and Sky Tower - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lQfv3gz1Q

This time trying DnB for the first time.

I think it came out fairly well. And the only reason I'm marking it as 'finished' as opposed to 'work in progress' is because this is pretty much how it's going to sound. The only changes I will make from here on will be pretty much nitpicks.

Enjoy!

From one HARD MAN to another. Stream of consciousness feedback as always:

Love the thick bass.

It's a bit of a weird approach to the archetypical DnB percussion in that you're using hats instead of snares for fills between the strong beats. As such, the fills are a little thin. The snare, too, I think sounds a bit odd in a DnB track, being as oomphy rather than punchy as it is.

The fill is almost inaudible around 0:50.

Dude, your lead-writing is getting insane.

Not a lot of variation going on in here, especially with respect to the drums.

Very well-arranged, but I kinda felt that, on the whole, it was good but not great. The sample choices and the lack of variation in the percussion held it back a bit.

From one HARD MAN to another. Stream of consciousness feedback as always:

Love the thick bass.

It's a bit of a weird approach to the archetypical DnB percussion in that you're using hats instead of snares for fills between the strong beats. As such, the fills are a little thin. The snare, too, I think sounds a bit odd in a DnB track, being as oomphy rather than punchy as it is.

The fill is almost inaudible around 0:50.

Dude, your lead-writing is getting insane.

Not a lot of variation going on in here, especially with respect to the drums.

Very well-arranged, but I kinda felt that, on the whole, it was good but not great. The sample choices and the lack of variation in the percussion held it back a bit.

This is the type of style I was going for with this. The drums really set the groove for the mix, and thus varying them too much (they're actually more varied in my mix than they are in the Pendulum track) I feel would alienate rather than contribute to the track as a whole.

I completely disagree with your statement about the samples holding the mix back. On the contrary, those percussion samples, I think, are some of the best I've ever come up with. And also I don't know about everybody else including you, but I can still hear the fills perfectly fine at :50 and throughout.

It's not the 'traditional' style of DnB, it's supposed to be the more aggressive, 'newer' type. The snare does have a lot of 'oomph,' and that's characteristic of the specific genre I was going for.

Thanks all you guys for the feedback :D I'm sorry if I came off as kind of a douche in my last post..but such wasn't the intent :(

Anyway, after listening to a lot more Pendulum, I realized how much this attempt at their style just didn't cut it...lol. That being said, I did cave in and make an updated version...I added an extra synth in the midrange to thicken the "bass" a bit more, and resampled and EQ'd the snare a bit differently.

Oh yeah, I also did brighten those hats a bit more :smile:

I'm calling this finished now. And it's already been submitted.

http://www.box.com/s/kepasuchvgj73hq2pmcl

Ahaha, now I feel stupid ;). So, apparently, waiting a few days and then listening to the same track again already did the trick for me.

I can't seem to hear all that much of a difference in the real new version though, except for the hats, which is definitely an improvement in my opinion.

Still digging this. ;)

Ok after a second listen, this track sound partially cloudly(no pun intended) in the mid ranges, and the over all track feels like it needs some reverb in it.

Some of the sounds, well they sound thin.

The drums, imo electronica music is know for super repetive simple drums to repetitve amen breaks to 4 on 4 kicks, and the drums your using sounds like stock fl drumloops, so I really have no beef with that imo.