Commander Keen Semi-Mod: Mystery of Isis2 (Soundtrack by me!)

Overflow

Hey guys, I hope I can post this here :P

So over on PCKF.com or the Public Commander Keen Forum, I got involved in the making of a semi-mod. I say semi because while based on the old Keen games, the engine and graphics are all new and updated to run on windows.

Here's a link to the thread, including the download links.

gamebird-level01.png

gamebird-level04.png

gamebird-level08.png

The game has come a long way since then, although it is still in an unfinished state due to lack of help and interest. It is only composed of 9 semi finished levels, more a proof of concept than anything else.

The soundtrack was entirely composed and written by me, under the name of GameBird. I'm quite happy with how they turned out and had a lot of fun writing them.

I just wanted to promote the game a bit as it's hard for such a project to get recognition outside of the rather small Keen modding community.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumped once and only once.

I'm also doing the soundtrack for another Keen game, an actual mod this time. The music restrictions are extremely limiting but also kind of fun.

It's called The Atroxian Realm and it's nearing completion.

ARTITLE3.png

Swamp%20Preview.png

Basepreview.png

kd_portatrox.png

AR%20BaseColumn.png

And here's the

That's the kind of in-game music quality I'm working with.

I'm actually really excited for this game: I've been able to help playtest and it's a lot of fun. The graphics are really cool.

I've written a few HQ versions of the main themes. Of course, the actual in-game music is incredibly simple compared, but these were still great fun to write.

And here's the thread for the game.

The game's still a while away, but anyone with dosbox, fond memories of Commander Keen or into retro challenges should definitely keep an eye out for this one.

Why has this not received more recognition? This is really dedicated stuff. The initial tracks you posted sound a little modern compared to the official titles, but in a sense, it sorta gives a vibe that this is the direction things would've gone if Commander Keen was further developed after Episode 6 and became more mature-themed. Nice work, mate. You've earned a sub.

This is great! Thank you so much for posting this! Commander Keen has always been one of my favorites, even though I'm more of into RPGs than arcades.

I've recently played through ceilick's The Universe Is Toast trilogy, and I enjoyed it a lot! I'm definitely looking forward to trying out the stuff you've been working on as well.

Kudos for the music! I especially enjoyed Thin Air and The Core. The scrolling story really brought back a lot of memories.

Keep up the good work. You've done an awesome job so far!

Hey, thanks! Writing the music for Isis 2 was a lot of fun. The music for Atroxian Realm is less so, simply because of memory and music format restrictions. It gets really annoying.

That said, I have been able to get some pretty cool stuff written. Don't spread this around (as the guy I'm working with would probably kill me if he found out :P ) but here's one of the songs I'm more proud of.

Security Layer.

As you can hear, I'm working with ye olde dos music, so I can't get very elaborate, and the song still needs some touching up. But I'm still pretty happy with it.

Remember...it's a secret to everybody!