What the hell happened to music!?

AngelCityOutlaw

The 90s had plenty of dumb eurodance/house/boyband crap that was universally loathed by people who grew up in the 70s-80s, just like how nowadays the 90s generation loves to hate on mainstream dubstep and hiphop.

The reason that the 90s SEEM better to you is because you're remembering it with a healthy dose of childhood nostalgia, and you probably don't even remember most of the really bad/mediocre stuff they played anyway, just because it was so forgettable.

The bad news is that most of the stuff today is NOT forgettable SIMPLY BECAUSE THE RADIO TODAY PLAYS THE SAME 20 SONGS ALL THE FREAKIN TIME WHILE MY IPOD PLAYS 7000 SONGS ON SHUFFLE! Radio had so much more variety in previous decades before 2005.

Plus, hip-hop in the 90s compared to 2010...really...if I need to explain AGAIN why DJ Premier's east coast tracks are way better than what the south puts out, I'm going to have to just submit a remix explaining why in Chris Martin's format.

The bad news is that most of the stuff today is NOT forgettable SIMPLY BECAUSE THE RADIO TODAY PLAYS THE SAME 20 SONGS ALL THE FREAKIN TIME WHILE MY IPOD PLAYS 7000 SONGS ON SHUFFLE! Radio had so much more variety in previous decades before 2005.

What songs do you remember from 2 years ago? How about 3? 5? 10? I barely remember most that crap, and only remember some of the better songs. History does the same thing. Filter out the crap, and leave behind the better stuff.

By the way, the song posted on the first page is NO WHERE NEAR the Billboard Top 100.

Absolutely fucking nothing happened to music. People say this kind of stuff every generation, and it's always equally false (or true).

The 90s had plenty of dumb eurodance/house/boyband crap that was universally loathed by people who grew up in the 70s-80s, just like how nowadays the 90s generation loves to hate on mainstream dubstep and hiphop.

The reason that the 90s SEEM better to you is because you're remembering it with a healthy dose of childhood nostalgia, and you probably don't even remember most of the really bad/mediocre stuff they played anyway, just because it was so forgettable.

Actually, I hated all that music as a child. So nostalgia really isn't affecting me.

Music today is FAR better than it's ever been before and I've been saying that my entire musical life. Seriously though, the amount of amazing stuff out there is absolutely brain numbing, in the best way possible, of course. In my opinion, the state of music as a whole can ONLY get better, never worse. Then again, I love Lady Gaga ;).
In all honesty, I truly despise the mainstream music of today. It lacks any real message or meaning behind it. Music has now become more about making money and keeping people preoccupied then it is about spreading the word about peace, happenings, or life stories. Video Game Music is nothing like that, which is why I listen to it. Remixes of VGMs are also reinterpretations of famous works by fans who truly care about the piece they are working with. That intimacy between man and music is what truly makes music shine, and it has been lackluster in contemporary music.

With all of the great music out there only the crap is going to stand out these days. After listening to Nicki Minaj I think I had "stupid how" stuck in my head for at least 20 minutes. Need further proof that this works? You have someone name AngelCityOutlaw knowing about and listening to Nicki Minaj... :)

I think it's great that we live in a time with such an abundance of great art that's easily accessible and therefore, doesn't pay well.

With all of the great music out there only the crap is going to stand out these days. After listening to Nicki Minaj I think I had "stupid how" stuck in my head for at least 20 minutes. Need further proof that this works? You have someone name AngelCityOutlaw knowing about and listening to Nicki Minaj... :)

Touche, Gar.

I'd like to clarify that this thread is actually not about hating, but rather about reasoning as to why there is a wave of music people just seem to hate in the mainstream, yet still sells like hot cakes. I thought it was more than a bandwagon.

That being said, there is some great pop music out there in the last 10 years. Some of my favourites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU81dxEpKuk

Thinking more about it after reading these posts in this thread, I would say that "bad music" can be exposed easier. Largely due to the internet and the fact that all of us can make myspaces, youtubez, soundclouds etc and people will always pass around things that they hate more often than things that they love. Because nobody cares about what you like, but they can all jump in and bash things they don't like.

Community led sites like this are proof that music has never been so dynamic, creative, accessible and varied.

We're in a golden age for music.

and dynamics, creativity, accessibility, and variety can still create "bad" things?

I guess life is all about balance. No good without evil, no yin without yang, no pleasure without pain.

This thread has been an enlightening experience.

That being said, there is some great pop music out there in the last 10 years. Some of my favourites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU81dxEpKuk

I'm not big into Pop music but here is one artist i can't stop listening to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RowDj9OPgAM

The quality sucks but the imagery is awesome

Too bad his CD's are a huge pain to import. I was able to get Solar Ray just shy of two months and just under the cost of an xbox360 game!

I'm not big into Pop music but here is one artist i can't stop listening to

Too bad his CD's are a huge pain to import. I was able to get Solar Ray just shy of two months and just under the cost of an xbox360 game!

Oh yeah, Susumu Hirasawa, I know him too. Importing is always extremely expensive it's so bad. I listen to a lot of japanese music so I've spent a lot of money on importing

But on topic, I only listen to radio when I'm in my car and there's traffic information on it, but my mother listens to a lot of radio. so when I'm home, I get blasted and that's why I don't listen on my own... I have enough music for me and almost nothing of it would ever be played on "normal" radio

Yah I agree with tensi,willrock,and others. Nothing happened to music;its all about taste, what you like,etc..... Your trash is someones treasure & vice versa. Simply because you hate a certain type of music and some supporters of your opinion think the same way does not mean that music ever suck, its just your opinion telling you "Hay this is shit!" or "Hay this is THE shit!"

Then again people grow to join banwagons and I find that very pointless.

still a great fan of this guy tho, sick!

I haven't turned on the radio for a good decade or so. Stuff like this is the reason why.

^ This, pretty much. :lol:

Absolutely fucking nothing happened to music. People say this kind of stuff every generation, and it's always equally false (or true).

^ And this.

Average pop has always followed the same recipe: plain melodies, simple drum patterns and catchy chorus that gets stuck in people's head.

Only difference are the faces/voices/asses/personality-disorder of the shooting stars being brought on the stage that day.

Add to the mix some mass advertising and social/peer pressure, and you've got a craptastic tale eternally retold.

Everything else is a subjective matter, as is anything that involves personal tastes. ;-)

When in history did music trend to vocal tracks instead of non-vocal tracks? I want to be open-minded about vocal tracks, but with the recent trend to cheesy love songs, I can't help but feel pity. I do listen to vocal music, though. Like Crush 40 (for VGMs) and Linkin Park, but Linkin Park has been on a decline, whereas Crush 40 has steadily been getting better (For instance, compare "Open Your Heart" with "Knight of the Wind"). Music used to be about empowerment, like how the slaves used it to communicate with each other prior to the American Civil War. But now it is truly going down a path where it loses all meaning to superficial and shallow traits like the acquirement of money and other material wealth.

Don't even let me get started on Love songs. I abandoned love songs because it was generally becoming repetitive and lacked innovation. In fact, there is now a blurry line between lust and love in the topic of love songs, and corporations are feeding that line by promoting the ambiguity between love and lust.

But now it is truly going down a path where it loses all meaning to superficial and shallow traits like the acquirement of money and other material wealth.

But....people won't pay for it if they don't like it. So why continue to make a kind of music or continue to promote an artist if they are disliked so much?

A lot of the biebers, hannah montanas and such make more money by selling their merchandise than actual music I think.

When in history did music trend to vocal tracks instead of non-vocal tracks?

"Vocal tracks" prior to radio were folk tunes and operatic pieces. Opera used to be huge; folk songs have always been popular, in a sense. One might say that modern pop music is the folk music of yesteryear and that radio just allowed for the full realization of folk music.