What the hell happened to music!?

AngelCityOutlaw

Music has always been terrible. Music was terrible back when Mozart was alive. We remember the decent stuff and forget the much more abundant terrible stuff, so it always seems like the present is worse than the past.

This, pretty much. "Oldies" stations really just play the same 50 to 100 songs on their list and all the non-catchy crap from the past decades is forgotten in obscurity. There's already a filter in place for older music. Current mainstream music is always unfiltered, and we'll only be listening to the best 20% of what plays in today's radio in the oldies stations of the future.

I guess the Stupid Hoe video is going to make some references that only Minaj fans and pop music fans are going to get, though I feel trolled watching it. But screw anyone if you think the BEAT is terrible. Oh, well to be honest

but still.

This, pretty much. "Oldies" stations really just play the same 50 to 100 songs on their list and all the non-catchy crap from the past decades is forgotten in obscurity.

"Catchy" doesn't mean "not crap," and anyway, music that has been deemed "catchy" for those living in the 21st century doesn't mean that music that once was played a lot wasn't once catchy and couldn't still be relevant--the radio stations just don't want to take their chances.

Case in point,

was a number-one back in 1974:

I'm 20.

My collection of tapes and CDs from the 80s and 90s prove that mainstream music was superior at that time.

My living through the 80s and 90s proves that it wasn't.

There's always been a high ratio of shit to gems. I don't think it's changed. So yes, while what "the kids" listen to these days is mostly shit, it was the same way in every other decade.

My living through the 80s and 90s proves that it wasn't.

There's always been a high ratio of shit to gems. I don't think it's changed. So yes, while what "the kids" listen to these days is mostly shit, it was the same way in every other decade.

Okay, but can you please provide an example of something by a popular artist at the time which was legitimately just as bad as the Nicki Minaj track from a musical standpoint? Like not in terms of lyrics or target audience.

whats wrong with vocal music? besides cheesy/unmeaningful lyrics :whatevaa:

Power metal bands would say, "What's wrong with cheesy lyrics?" lol

Okay, but can you please provide an example of something by a popular artist at the time which was legitimately just as bad as the Nicki Minaj track from a musical standpoint? Like not in terms of lyrics or target audience.

Power metal bands would say, "What's wrong with cheesy lyrics?" lol

BOOM!!!!!

Thats what I was getting at with my other post, its all opinion 8-)

whats wrong with Minaj? (im saying this as if I never listen to her music)

BOOM!!!!!

Thats were I was getting at with my other post, its all opinion 8-)

whats wrong with Minaj? (im saying this as if I never listen to her music)

Of course it's opinion. My question was "what the hell happened to music?" I probably should have said, "pop music", but a very possible answer to the question is simply, "Nothing."

In the days before the internet, the only way to find out really about "bad songs" was to hear them on the radio or someone forced you to listen to it. Now we have youtube and the like, with rating systems to collect popular opinion and it's easy to share.

I think the idea behind this "Stupid Hoe" song with the phrasing, the weird rhythm, and the babble is to fit the title. In a nutshell, make a "stupid" sounding song. Because actually, lots of Minaj's other tracks, while not my favourite, are still way better than this musically.

Which I guess could be viewed as genius in one regard, but it seems many people don't enjoy listening to it.

This track is awesome. I'm so glad I clicked this thread.

I love how, at the end, she sings a little bit just to remind everyone that she can sing better than pretty much everybody.

Hey, guys?

Hey, everyone?

This is simple:

There's the music you like.

There's the music you don't like.

Can we leave it at that? Making statements like, "music is terrible now. It was best in ____ decade" makes you sound ignorant.

LULZ ARGUING IN THE INTERNETS

[sigh] But we all do it, don't we.

This track is awesome. I'm so glad I clicked this thread.

I love how, at the end, she sings a little bit just to remind everyone that she can sing better than pretty much everybody.

Hey, guys?

Hey, everyone?

This is simple:

There's the music you like.

There's the music you don't like.

Can we leave it at that? Making statements like, "music is terrible now. It was best in ____ decade" makes you sound ignorant.

LULZ ARGUING IN THE INTERNETS

[sigh] But we all do it, don't we.

Fair enough.

I gotta be honest about the Minaj song... part of me likes it, but not many people know I have an irrational feature of repetition, like sounds that repeat a lot of times in a row with an unchanging tone, so I probably won't listen to it again... I don't know if there's a name for that, it's just something I noticed when listening to certain songs. Plus the crazy editing with the giant eyes doesn't make it any better. I'd probably love it if they made an unplugged version.

read a few pages of this thread... figured i'd add my 2 cents. Anyone here listen to DI.FM (Digitally Imported)? http://www.di.fm/

This is all I ever listen to (I usually surf the Chillout channel mostly (I've even submitted original work)). Also, if anyone here is in university, I recommend their sister channel as well, Sky.fm (non-electronic music (solo piano kicks ass (moar brackets))).

I don't bother listening to normal radio, I don't have cable tv... so I'm pretty well-protected from all the shit out there. :)

I'm 20.

My collection of tapes and CDs from the 80s and 90s prove that mainstream music was superior at that time.

Like Legion303 I believe your taste got old. And it is all OCR's fault. :lol:

I think the idea behind this "Stupid Hoe" song with the phrasing, the weird rhythm, and the babble is to fit the title. In a nutshell, make a "stupid" sounding song. Because actually, lots of Minaj's other tracks, while not my favourite, are still way better than this musically.

Which I guess could be viewed as genius in one regard, but it seems many people don't enjoy listening to it.

Music always demands to reinvented itself. It was what happened to jazz and soul decades before. Now this lady Minaj song is trying to do the exact same thing, it is trying to make something fresh and since she is the artist of the moment I can say she almost done with it.

Okay..So I listen to every genre out there. There's many songs on the radio I don't like, but I can still see why some people would. So I normally never listen to the radio.

BUT SERIOUSLY, what the hell is with the recent abundance of music that nearly everyone agrees is terrible?! First Rebecca Black, then Lulu, now this....

Click that and prepare to suffer.

Really though, I'm genuinely curious to know people's thoughts. There's always been and always will be songs that so many people hate, but I don't think it's ever quite been like it is now.

I mean, the backstreet boys, A*Teens, etc. may have not been Dream Theater or Mozart, but they still had some well composed, performed and produced songs.

What are your thoughts on Pop music today? Do you agree there is an abundance of "bad music" on the radio these days? If so, what do you think is the cause of it? What do you think future pop music will be like?

Music today is better than it has ever been but it's just very tough to find the new wave of great bands and artists. They're mostly unknown or tough to find because the advertising companies keep pushing these inane female dolls to sell discs to the last people stupid enough to still buy them.

I'm a big fan of Periphery, The Fellowship, Young Punx, Nujabes, Bumblefoot, Raconteurs, A very unknown band called Junkboy and a bunch more underrated/obscure artists.

There's a ton of talent still out there, just fly past the female media movement and find the right communities to ask for recommendations.

Personally, maybe it's just that I'm biased through the old-school sounds I use in my music, but I agree with the title of this thread, at least insofar as the kind of music that typically plays on the radio.

For one, I saw a concert video on YouTube a few weeks ago celebrating the 60th birthday of Sting from the '80s band The Police. While I like that it shows modern artists do show respect for classic music, frankly, I hated the way Lady Gaga sung her part of "King of Pain"; I very much preferred the noirish sound of the original, especially because of the synths and Stewart Copeland's drumming.

Where soundtracks specifically are concerned, I am a little more open-minded because, well, there's just so much diversity in genres in film and game music. ;)

I've stopped caring about what music is popular - why do I need to worry about what music everyone else is listening to? It doesn't change my enjoyment of a song. Also, people listen to music for their own reasons. I know someone who listens to popular music purely to get laid

I often try to do the same thing, Bahamut. That's one reason I'm able to enjoy one-hit wonder bands for more than just their biggest hits, such as Gary Numan ("Cars") and Mr. Mister ("Broken Wings").