OCR01415 - *YES* Final Fantasy 6 'Greater Alchemic Patchwork'

GrayLightning

Greater Alchemic Patchwork (Final Fantasy VI) - This is basically a sequel to Lesser Kerubic Patchwork written shortly after the first one was completed. Being a sequel, there are quite a few similarities to Lesser Kerubic- I won't bother to list them all but suffice it to say, the formal structures are quite similar and you have a funky little brass bassline in both pieces (also, notice that both mixes are about the same length; one of the many stupid little details I put in my music that no one ever catches).

So anyway, this is just a light-hearted take on the veldt theme that I hope you enjoy.

URL:

Israfel

-------------------------------------------

In a word, Awesome. A number of us old-schoolers (zyko and I at least) remember this gem from the Vgmix 1 days. Sure it's 3 years old, but man has it aged gracefully.

The arrangement is still kick ass and the instrumentation rocks. Typical Israfel 2002 era - cool orchestral hybrid with ethnic percussion and DnB flava. Compositionally, excellent as well, though I still favor the other twin, Lesser Kerubic. My only gripes here that hasn't aged as well is the string short bows, when exposed they don't sound as good, but what do you expect with technology of that period? Sweet brass lines per usual Israfel stuff, but I guess that's to be expected of a trombone player. Production values in all are still of high caliber.

I have no qualms passing this, it's still comparable if not better than a lot of recent stuff posted and way above the bar in my book. Easy Yes for me.

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ff6.rsn - "Wild West" (ff6-117.spc)

This track showed its age vis-a-vis the standard more than Gray cares to let on, as there's some noticeable dullness to the production, but I still think the product was solid, which is why I'm glad we got it. Those fast strings were definitely not hitting me right, but the drumloops in particular were groove-bias-good, and luckily didn't carry the arrangement of Wild West.

I felt like the instrumentation really picked up strength after 2:08 and no longer strained for credibility so glaringly, even the fast string notes. The brass work was excellent there as well. Nice and intensive pace the whole way through, and the sudden xylophone ending at 3:37 was a nice touch to close it out. "The Sveldt" from djp is booty-shaking fun tackling the same theme, but if you wanna shake your butt EVEN FASTER, Mike makes it happen. It's like dNb with a classy edge that somehow doesn't belong, but clicks regardless. Super Mario 64 "Onyx Lips & Cheese Nips" next!!!

YES

The two sections in 9/4 were BEAUTIFUL! [0:45-1:10] & [2:08-2:27]

I sooooooooooooo wish you had kept that going both times when the drums came back in, rather than switching back to 4/4. Just a personal taste thing, and you handled it in a classy way. You just let it stop on by twice briefly so it could play hard to get, making me want it even more. Everything else was cool as well! Next time, just for me, write an entire song with that 9/4 feel.... JUST FOR ME, DO IT FOR ME!!!! Oh man.... that would be so cool. Also you seem to have quite the affinity for the H.W. diminished scale :D

YeS

Whoa. Well, I'm a fan of Israfel's stuff, but I think out of all of it this is probably the least accessible. LOTS of crazy stuff in terms of sequencing as well as composition. However I'm sure it's only "weird" because I don't quite understand the theory behind it yet ;) At any rate I'm with Larry that the production has shown its age a bit, and Israfel's newer mixes shine more in that area. This does not take away from the absolutely SUPERB arrangement though, the intense energy, and crazy variety of instruments and sounds. Wild, awesome, LoL~!!

YES

update: This has really grown on me. Very enjoyable.

• 2 months later...