Hardcore (lol) iOS gaming

Modus

If there's already a thread on this, delete mine.

So anyway, I recognize the iPhone/iPad as promising gaming platforms, but I couldn't get into it until I upgraded to a 3GS, which I finally did.

So what... what... uh, shit... what do I buy? I got Infinity Blade 2 because it seems the obvious choice. I already have FF3 (DS remake port) and it finally runs smooth thanks to my upgrade. For anyone wondering, those are both very good choices IMO.

So I'm digging deeper but all the hardcore games I find are put out by Square Enix and they're all like $15. I don't want to make the wrong choices. I don't want "eh, pretty good" either. I want damn good. I like unique battle systems, good sound effects, non-linearity, a good story, the whole she-bang.

Should I get Chaos Rings? Song Summoner? Would the Secret of Mana port be fun after all this time? I don't trust the reviews in the store cause they're mostly Square fanboys. All the games are rated 4 or more stars, and that's bullshit. A $6 FF13 app that only shows twenty still images has 4 stars.

o_o

Well you were asking for hardcore...:)

But to answer your question better, I don't know. I played a fun version of mirror's edge once. on a friends phone.

Really? I looked up gameplay of that before. It's in third person (boo!) and heard it's really short too. Only 99 cents tho...

Well, in the spring a game I did music for comes out for it. So you could pick that up.

Other than that, You can't survive without angry birds. It's as hardcore as it gets! Seriously addicting game.

Hah, I forgot that many people here have made music for iOS games. Problem is, I bought Angry Birds and got very bored. Yes, it's challenging, but games that revolve around a single element (casual games) just don't grab me. I tried Cut the Rope too and again felt bored :[

Really? I looked up gameplay of that before. It's in third person (boo!) and heard it's really short too. Only 99 cents tho...

Hah, I forgot that many people here have made music for iOS games. Problem is, I bought Angry Birds and got very bored. Yes, it's challenging, but games that revolve around a single element (casual games) just don't grab me. I tried Cut the Rope too and again felt bored :[

Well...at least you had angry birds. How about Street Fighter IV or Marvel Pinball?

Haha, hardcore on the iphone, lol.

Well, I hardly ever game on my iOS device, but there are a few notable games. The Zenonia games are pretty good, although I've only played the first, but they love letting them go for free very often so I got the trilogy for free, so that would be worth checking out. Mega Man 2 is on there, but the controls are quite awkward, although I managed to beat it on my ipod. Dark nebula is actually pretty fun, and Squareball is cool. Bounce On is actually pretty neat too, as well as Radiant and StarDefense. But that's about the best I can suggest, from what I've played. There really aren't many deep, hardcore games to be played on it, and what is there is almost unplayable thanks to the touch screen.

Chaos Rings was outstanding -- a great jRPG that I enjoyed much better than the intro of FF13. Well worth the money, imo the best full-length original game on the platform to date (note: I have not played the sequels)

Infinity Blade II is likely worth the cost, as I thought the first one was great, if a little repetitive.

For platformers, there is the Great Giana Sisters, I believe. Fun little Mario Clone.

It is a fun game that is pretty easy but gets trickier in the later worlds. It really is a Mario clone (and its original C64 version was taken off the shelves by Nintendo).

Also, it has remixes of music by the legendary and godly European composer Chris Huelsbeck (or Hulsbeck whichever way you spell it).

For hardcore, you can't go wrong with Cave games:

How's that for hardcore :D

Bitchin' soundtrack as well.

It's good isn't it? I love strategy and tactics and the little details about the game that you have to pick up on your own are pretty neat. Also in my opinion if a game makes you feel like you'd rather be playing what the opponent is using then they're doing it right. I've only played the human army once so far and I had a lot more fun than expected. I came up with many more strategies for them just cause their elite unit is so much more versatile.

I only really play 4 iOS games: Words with Friends, Tiny Tower, Hero Academy, and Puzzlejuice. I have Shantae cause I never bought a 3DS but it's on the backburner when I have time to actually play a game in non bite-sized chunks.

I just found out that OCR's Big Giant Circles did the music for Puzzlejuice!

I was watching a review when the guy said "a composer from Mass Effect" helped make it. I was like hm.. BGC did music for Mass Effect. So I start scouring the web for the name of this composer and found a comment saying a "Jimmy Hinson" was involved. Lo and behold, BGC's OCR page confirmed the name!

Good job BGC! I'll take my detective's badge now.

P.S. Can I buy the game's tracks off you? >.>

I have something that is in the works that will be released soon, though I'm not sure if it is considered "hardcore". It is difficult though.

Any more details?