Midwest Meetup 2012

Obtuse

So last year's Midwest Meetup in Ft Wayne was awesome. We need to do it again. Wildfire has expressed interest also. Last year we only spent one day and it was a little too short. We had a great time at Video Games Live, eating at a random Gyro place, drinking and chilling at the hotel, IHOP the next day, and a trip to Sweetwater Music.

In attendance last year:

Obtuse

Halc

Wildfire

Sam (friend of Wildfire)

Souliarc

Pictures from last year are here ...

Pics

Questions for the Midwestern people:

Would you like to attend?

When do you think we should do this?

Where would you like to go this year?

Are there any events in the Midwest that we just can't miss?

Any activities in the area that you think would be a blast to experience together?

Suggestions offered so far :

Modus - Cedar Point

Bahamut,Souliarc - Hangout in Chicago

Obtuse - Art museum and Shed Aquarium in Chicago or other possible

Souliarc - Hangout in Chicago, preferebly warm

Ectogemia - Indianapolis, Laser Tag

OutSpoken - Hangout in Chicago

Ben Briggs - Kings Island

People who have expressed Interest in attending:

Obtuse

Salluz

Souliarc

Ectogemia

DjStriker

Wildfire

OutSpoken (If in Chicago)

Halc

chthonic

Too bad this doesn't say Upper Midwest meetup. Then it'd be right in my neck of the woods!

Not to say it couldn't happen. if booked ahead of time you can get some pretty cheap flights within the midwest. I'm not knocking it out as an option Flik if other people are interested. Especially if there's a big event that should not be missed.

I am also open to more than 1 meetup over the summer.

I do love Chicago. One of my favorite places is the Chicago Art Museum. I have still never been to the Shed Aquarium. Any other big attractions in Chicago Bahamut?

I remember Navy Pier being interesting - basically an amusement park but there are vodka snowcone stands!

Isn't there a Chinatown too?

I always wanted to try the original Unos there, although I hear it's always packed. Ginos East is also supposedly really good. I've mostly been around Chicago for concerts at the House of Blues so I couldn't tell you much about it myself. I do know that Michigan Ave. is like Chicago's analog of NYC's Fifth Avenue though.

Too short indeed.

As for Chicago, I only live five hours away and have always wanted to go. Same with Cedar Point. Basically, I'm going to have a lot of major bills paid off within the next few weeks and am going to be a lot more flexible so I'm up fo wutevah.

As for other ideas, there is a going to be the Louisville Arcade Expo in March. It's basically a mini-MAGFest (from pictures I've seen of MAGFest) without panels and a few bands but a TON of retro gaming. I don't know if it's worth it to bring everyone to Louisville for it, but I'll definitely be going ;) There was going to be another VGL during March in Louisville but the local orchestra is having budget problems, unfortunately.

Also, I'm putting a vote in for doing this when it's at least warm (we at least know cold and rainy sucks right peeps :P). Thanks for organizing this Andrew; we are due for one!

I'd be down for anywhere. Chicago sounds like fun, especially since I've never been. The VGL looked to be an hour outside of town, so that'd be doable. Also, it's the last US performance of 2012, so if we want to catch it again this year, that'd be it.

So what are we thinking of doing? Long weekend 3 days 2 nights sorta deal?

on the topic of amusement parks, I'd throw Kings Island out there too. probably not as long of a drive as Cedar Point for us IN/MI/IL/KY folks (about 2.5 hours from Indianapolis compared to 6-7 for Cedar), plus the lines are generally much more tolerable. some of Cedar's rides (Raptor, Millenium Force, Dragster), as amazing as they are, take like 2-3 hours to get through the line on any given weekend.

on the topic of amusement parks, I'd throw Kings Island out there too. probably not as long of a drive as Cedar Point for us IN/MI/IL/KY folks (about 2.5 hours from Indianapolis compared to 6-7 for Cedar), plus the lines are generally much more tolerable. some of Cedar's rides (Raptor, Millenium Force, Dragster), as amazing as they are, take like 2-3 hours to get through the line on any given weekend.

yeah, if I had to choose between the two, even not having experienced Cedar Point, I'd go with king's island

great rides and MUCH better line times. plus I know the place like the back of my hand :D

and yes, I'm interested in attending this meetup. king's island would be fucking sweet

I remember Navy Pier being interesting - basically an amusement park but there are vodka snowcone stands!

Isn't there a Chinatown too?.

There is. Neither of which warrant a full days worth of activities alone, but combined they make for an awesome day out. Navy Pier is a lot more fun during the evening though - well, I thought so anyway. It was really busy the entire day, but after it got dark it just seemed more inviting. Chinatown just brought out the fanboy in me since every other store has anime/video game merchandise. That was a bad day for my wallet.

I believe it was mentioned but there are some major art facilities within Chicago that are a must see. I can't think of names off the top of my head though.

If you guys were ever to plan something in Minnesota area, I'd love to fly out. Last time I was in Minneapolis I did the funnest thing... Cart Racing.

What? No MoA? That's almost a requirement in you're visiting the Twin Cities area. Though since this is where I'm from, it's not all that exciting honestly.

A meet-up sounds really fun; sadly I'm not active enough here (more of a lurker) to be able to join up. If suggestions are needed though I'll gladly chime in. I know the area pretty well since I have lived in the midwest my entire life... :/

A meet-up sounds really fun; sadly I'm not active enough here (more of a lurker) to be able to join up. If suggestions are needed though I'll gladly chime in. I know the area pretty well since I have lived in the midwest my entire life... :/

Don't be silly! You should come hang out, and meet new people. I promise most of us won't bite. :P