OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

The editing process I mentioned leaves a large number of instances of the string "] " and I simply replaced all of them with "] ". They come at the end of URLs.

Edit: I prefer using pseudonyms in the wiki articles without mention of authors' real names. They would all link to forum profiles, which immediately display the author's real name if they choose to reveal it. This would address The Coop's preference and the issue of the mystery authors at once, and afford all the authors easy privacy control in the future.

Also, I think the "Article: author name" style is ambiguous. I think that "Article by:" or "Article author:" or "Article written by:" would be more specific and would look better.

I prefer using pseudonyms in the wiki articles without mention of authors' real names. They would all link to forum profiles, which immediately display the author's real name if they choose to reveal it. This would address The Coop's preference and the issue of the mystery authors at once, and afford all the authors easy privacy control in the future.

Well, Dafydd and watkinzez show their real names in their profiles and their posts, so adding them before their forum handles feels natural. But I agree that anyone who doesn't wear their full name on their sleeves doesn't need to be pushed for that info.

I think the "Article: author name" style is ambiguous. I think that "Article by:" or "Article author:" or "Article written by:" would be more specific and would look better.

Heh, ironic, considering I said something similar to Larry on IRC...

<Polo> Article: by Paul Watkins (also known as watkinzez on the boards). A+

<Larry> you wanna change the wording?

<Polo> No, I was just reading it a different way. Same message sent across.

<Larry> yeah, very bueno

After a little more thought, I wouldn't mind adding the word "by" to clear potential confusion.

Don't wanna miss a thing :-P

I KNEW I shouldn't have pointed that one out... :lol:

The disadvantages to my idea of using linked handles without real names are:

1. that the real name, if posted, is one click away instead of immediately available, and

2. that publishing a real name for authorship requires publishing a real name in every one of your forum posts, since your name is integrated into your forum profile.

I just became aware of this second issue, which I think is a serious problem. We shouldn't use my idea for the style, because some writers may want their real names posted only in the wiki as writer credits and not all over the forums.

In light of that, I suggest that we use the style of the album page, and credit writers as:

"Article by: writer's real name (writer's handle)"

Yeah yeah, I'm about to make another pesky suggestion :-P

I don't know exactly how many total writers there were for this project, but why not just send them a PM and ask them how they want to be credited? Let them know they have a choice, with either real name (screen name), or just screen name. If they respond, then go with what they chose. If they don't respond within a set time period (a couple days to maybe a week?), then only use their screen name just to be safe.

You guys know I only want my screen name on there, so that takes care of one writer already :-)

why not just send them a PM and ask them how they want to be credited? Let them know they have a choice, with either real name (screen name), or just screen name. If they respond, then go with what they chose. If they don't respond within a set time period (a couple days to maybe a week?), then only use their screen name just to be safe.

Done. I gave the unknowns (except chez dogulov) 31 days to respond because some of them haven't logged on in quite a while. But if some regularly check their email, and opted to receive a PM notice, then that should help a bit.

'''[[Jedah]]'''

Keep in mind that the article title will use the savior's full name - an article only called "Jedah" won't exist. Similarly, Hsien-Ko's long and short bios link to the Darkstalkers article through the singular form of the word (Darkstalker). So if any inter-bio link doesn't present the full / exact article name as its key, link it like this:

'''[http://www.ocremix.org/info/Jedah_Dohma Jedah]'''
'''[http://www.ocremix.org/info/Darkstalkers Darkstalker]'''

Just a heads-up.

Thank you for the heads-up about Darkstalkers. I moved the "s" outside of the [[ ]] tags but kept it within the ''' ''' tags. The "s" stays orange, but the link points to "Darkstalker," which is fortuitous.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was completely wrong. I guess I will undo my edits and just insert absolute links for the singular "Darkstalker" links.

Is the title of the Ganondorf article "Ganondorf" or "Ganondorf Dragmire"? I'll leave the link as "Ganondorf" for now.

The wiki makes it easy to link between pages. I would rather just change the bio to say "Jedah Dohma" in the first mention, which is the only place we link to another wiki page, and leave the rest of them as "Jedah." It requires less work to fix, I think.

"Jedah Dohma, the Dark Messiah"; "...the Dark Messiah Jedah Dohma..." yeah, I guess either works when read in full. And at first I felt it odd to repeat the succubi's last name twice (in the Darkstalkers overview), but now it's not too bad ("Morrigan Aenslaed and Lilith Aenslaed").

Is the title of the Ganondorf article "Ganondorf" or "Ganondorf Dragmire"? I'll leave the link as "Ganondorf" for now.

Yeah, apparently "Dragmire" is a mistranslation that appears only in the Zelda 3 instruction manual. Naming the article "Ganondorf" is good.

I'm replacing all writer credits with "Article by:" instead of "Article:".

Excellent. I made that adjustment for the Doom Trooper and Toyota Supra so we're all on the same page.

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Whoops. Wrong game.

That would've been more fitting and hilarious if you spread it across two posts. ;-)

--- EDIT ---

My screen name will do just fine, thank you.

And this credit is almost unnecessary, I only made one bio. :<

That's another down.

Hey guys

I expected to have more time around christmas, but it appears I actually have less... I got a temporary job which will be over in about a week. Just so you guys know. I will probably not be able to upload my share of bios in time for the new year. I'll try to catch up with what's going on in this thread tonight, unless I work late (my boss keeps making me work overtime...). Great to see this thing is still moving, thanks to you!

Didn't Polo mention giving everyone a month to respond to the inquiry about real names? I figured that the final project release would be on hold until then.

How do we know what chez dogulov's wishes are? He has posted only three times on the forums and there isn't a real name on his profile. If we're not asking him how he would like to be credited, we should preserve his privacy and credit him only as chez dogulov.

Edit: Another issue: the title of the article about the main character of Mega Man X is currently "Mega Man X." However, I played the hell out of that game as a kid, and I remember that the character was referred to exclusively as "X." While in later games he may have been occasionally called "Mega Man X," I am sure that he is predominantly called just "X" throughout the series. Dafydd's "Mega Man X (full armor)" bio also refers to the character only as "X," but as it stands, it will require an absolute URL instead of a wiki link, because I need to link to an article called "Mega Man X." I suggest that we call that article simply "X" for consistency.

Didn't Polo mention giving everyone a month to respond to the inquiry about real names? I figured that the final project release would be on hold until then.

I didn't mean it that way. I thought even if we uploaded every bio to the Wiki by New Year's (seems more unlikely now with Dafydd's job...), some of the writers will say yes, they want to be credited full name first, provided they remember us, this thread, and their work which has been spruced up for OCR's database. My gut has doubts though; most of their work is in this thread's ancient history, before we regulars steered ship most of the way. And the full name / forum handle credit is recent, c/o LT. So it's a gamble.

The bottom line though is this'll be out when we're done uploading and cross-checking what we have in our hands NOW.

How do we know what chez dogulov's wishes are? He has posted only three times on the forums and there isn't a real name on his profile. If we're not asking him how he would like to be credited, we should preserve his privacy and credit him only as chez dogulov.

watkinzez gave us his real name, but didn't explicitly say whether he gives us permission to show it in Magus's bio, so unless we're told otherwise, we can safely leave it as chez dogulov.

And for the record, credit me as Polo. I'm not disclosing my full name.

Another issue: the title of the article about the main character of Mega Man X is currently "Mega Man X." However, I played the hell out of that game as a kid, and I remember that the character was referred to exclusively as "X." While in later games he may have been occasionally called "Mega Man X," I am sure that he is predominantly called just "X" throughout the series.

The instructions refer to him only as X, too. So in that case, sure, we can name the bios "X" and "X (full armor)" respectively. One thing though, in X's bio:

X may also find capsules left by the late Dr. Light that, piece by piece, upgrade his systems into full armor.

Ending that sentence with '''[[full armor]]''' doesn't cut it, since "full armor" isn't an article name. Linking to that article will require an absolute url, maybe:

[http://www.ocremix.org/info/X_(full_armor) '''full armor''']

Also, I'm sure you noticed the new Guilty Gear X mix posted, so be sure to upgrade Sol Badguy's GGX appearance like this (if you haven't already):

=== Dreamcast ===

*[http://www.ocremix.org/game/guilty-gear-x-dc/ ''Guilty Gear X''] (2000)

Okay, so I looked in the Mascots category to find X's full armor bio uploaded. Its name is "Mega Man X (full armor)" instead of "X (full armor)." So either the original bio should be titled "Mega Man X" to match, or we should ask Larry to delete / change the name of the article to match the game + instructions' opinions.

Should there be an italicized notice about the main / related article called "Mega Man X" (like in the Mario (kart) bio or the Samus bios)? It could be something like:

''For more information, consult the '''[[Mega Man X]]''' bio.''

Also, is it "Selected Game Appearances" or "Selected game appearances"? I've been doing the latter because the Toyota Supra has it that way.

Okay, so I looked in the Mascots category to find X's full armor bio uploaded. Its name is "Mega Man X (full armor)" instead of "X (full armor)." So either the original bio should be titled "Mega Man X" to match, or we should ask Larry to delete / change the name of the article to match the game + instructions' opinions.

That was me. I moved the article to "X (full armor)" now that I have your support in doing so. We should avoid creating pages that we don't plan to keep; I can't manage to return the "Mega Man X (full armor)" to its original state, rather only to a blank page. I apologize for that.

Therefore, whoever is responsible for the X bio should post it as "X" not as "Mega Man X."

The bottom line though is this'll be out when we're done uploading and cross-checking what we have in our hands NOW.

Okay. We'll finishing marking up and uploading what we have right now, and we will change the credits later. The people who haven't forwarded their wishes only wrote a few bios in total, so it won't be to much work to change them one by one.

I think you all saw me credit myself as Alex Stuart (Linearity), but I'll make it clear now that I want to be credited that way in all of my articles.

Also, I'm sure you noticed the new Guilty Gear X mix posted, so be sure to upgrade Sol Badguy's GGX appearance like this (if you haven't already):

=== Dreamcast ===

*[http://www.ocremix.org/game/guilty-gear-x-dc/ ''Guilty Gear X''] (2000)

Fixed.

Should there be an italicized notice about the main / related article called "Mega Man X" (like in the Mario (kart) bio or the Samus bios)? It could be something like:

''For more information, consult the '''[[Mega Man X]]''' bio.''

Not a bad idea. I linked the first mention of "X," but that's only one letter and is harder to see than other first mention links. I'll put a clearer link in like the one you have there. On that note, all of the Darkstalkers bios link to extended bios. Should I similarly link the extended bios back to the short bios? I thought not, because the extended bios already say what the short bios say, right?

Also, is it "Selected Game Appearances" or "Selected game appearances"? I've been doing the latter because the Toyota Supra has it that way.

You're right. I will fix that straight away.

I can't manage to return the "Mega Man X (full armor)" to its original state, rather only to a blank page.

No prob. I redirected "Mega Man X (full armor)" and "OCR Mascot 030" to "X (full armor)" for you.

Therefore, whoever is responsible for the X bio should post it as "X" not as "Mega Man X."

You hear that, Dafydd? X marks the spot.

all of the Darkstalkers bios link to extended bios. Should I similarly link the extended bios back to the short bios? I thought not, because the extended bios already say what the short bios say, right?

Right. The reader will come to a spoiler-free intro first, and if they choose to learn the rest of the selected Darkstalker's history, they can advance by one more click. Kind of like a one-way toll bridge.

And thanks for the tip on "Selected game appearances". Looks more casually uniform across the articles. 8)

Ok, I've uploaded about 12 bios now. It really is pretty easy and quick once you've made the auto-replacements. I have a pretty unreliable connection right now though. Once I've uploaded all my bios, I'll start editing them so that the bolded names of other mascots are turned into links to their articles instead. Should these link to the actual bio page or the redirection page though? I don't know what Larry had in mind when he said he would tell DJP to make the mascot on top of the page display the one related to the bio you're currently reading... it would certainly make things easier for DJP to do that if all redirects to other bios were to their redirection pages.