OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

HIRYU

CAPCOM

ocr4_mascot3.jpg

Hiryu is a ninja from the year 2048 A.D. He is in the Striders, an organazation that are the strongest secret maneuvers group in the world. The youngest Strider ever to reach the A-Rank, Hiryu is an expert Assassin and is very quick at killing his target. Even though he has saved Earth a couple of times, he never did it by himself. He had help from his Allies which were other Striders or Robots. But, the allie that never leaves his side and he can trust the most is his cipher, Falchion. The cipher is a sword that most Striders have, they are very quick and powerful in the hands of a good wielder.

Hiryu, was the hero of an 1989 Sidescrolling arcade platform known as Strider. The player that had controlled Hiryu, had to travel around the world (From the roofs of Kafazu, to the jungles of the Amazon, and to a space station.) In search of an evil entity from a far off galaxy known as, Grandmaster Meio. Each level is loaded with powerful enemies (From humans, to robots, and even to Amazon women) and at the end is a boss. It is up to you, THE PLAYER, to get Hiryu through this hard mission. The game has been ported to many systems, but the SEGA Genesis port is perhaps the most famous. There was a NES Version of Strider, but it was a whole new game rather than a port.

Hiryu has appeared in:

Sega Genesis

Strider 1990

Arcade:

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes (1998)

Strider 2 (1999)

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (2000)

Source:

Wikipedia

The Light Sword Cypher Mainframe

Strider Island Moralos

Chocobo

Squaresoft

ocr4_mascot130.jpg

A chocobo is a large flightless bird, strong enough to carry a fully grown human, making this bird a perfect way to travel. They prefer living in forests but can also be found a little bit of everywhere. It´s very timid in the wild and can be vicious if it´s threatened, but can actually be very easily tamed. Greens are one of their favorite food, that´s why you can in some games call on them by using greens.

The chocobo´s first appearance was in Final Fantasy 2, where you could find it hiding in a forest and then use it to travel on the world map without bumping into enemies. For each Final Fantasy game that was made, the chocobo got a bigger and bigger role. In some games you could either train or breed it to get chocobos with other abililties, from climbing over mountains and swimming over the seas to flying high in the sky. From starting as a minor character, the chocobo has quickly changed to be one of the most favored in the FF-series.

The chocobo has appeared in following games:

NES

Final Fantasy 2 -1988

Final Fantasy 3 -1990

SNES

Final Fantasy 4 -1991

Final Fantasy 5 -1992

Final Fantasy 6 -1994

Secret of Evermore -1995

Playstation

Chocobo Racing -1999

Chocobo Stallion -1999

Chocobo´s Dungeon 2 -1999

Dice de Chocobo -1999

Final Fantasy 7 -1997

Final Fantasy 8 -1999

Final Fantasy 9 -2000

Playstation 2

Final Fantasy 10 -2001

Final Fantasy 10-2 -2003

Final Fantasy 12 - 2005

PC

Final Fantasy 11 -2003

Gameboy

Final Fantasy Adventure -1991

Gameboy Advance

Chocobo Land : A Game of Dice -2003

Final Fantasy Tactics -2003

Pocketstation

Chocobo´s Mysterious Dungeon

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocobo

http://www.thecowscorner.com/~kamui/choco/main.html

-------------------------

It may need some more faqs to it, I´ll see what more I can find, but this is what I made so far. Feel free to comment any improvements.

Much better, p_n! I fixed some minor spelling errors and stuff - but there are still a number of sentences that could be written with more fluency. If you don't feel like trying yourself, leave it the way it is and I'll try to do it myself. But it's a great improvement from the first! Also, in your case, since you only have one game listed, you might as well list the games mentioned at the end of your bio in the games list instead, since he's an important character in those games and not just doing a small cameo appearance. Or is he? :whatevaa:

Bummerdude, consider shortening the list of FF games. Chocobo's been in so many games that are covered already... :wink: Maybe you could move the games that are not yet covered into the end of the bio instead (like I just told p_n not to :roll: ), and just mention that Chocobo has been other games than the FF series, that he has a few games named after him and so on. Don't, however, remove any covered games from the list unless Chocobo's actually in them. Also, in your bio it says it first showed up in FF2, but you listed FF1 in the appearances list? I know there's a lot of confusion about the numbering of the FF games, but unless you've just made a mistake (i.e. you didn't intend to put FF1 on the list at all), a short explanation might help "straighten some question marks out". And I'd appreciate if you'd handle your links like p_n did (company + source links).

To both of you, if you can, try to find another (good) fansite or two to put in the links/sources list at the bottom (even if you didn't actually use them as sources). Thank you for your contributions to the project! If you want to write more bios, go ahead.

Much better, p_n! I fixed some minor spelling errors and stuff - but there are still a number of sentences that could be written with more fluency. If you don't feel like trying yourself, leave it the way it is and I'll try to do it myself. But it's a great improvement from the first! Also, in your case, since you only have one game listed, you might as well list the games mentioned at the end of your bio in the games list instead, since he's an important character in those games and not just doing a small cameo appearance. Or is he? :whatevaa:

Bummerdude, consider shortening the list of FF games. Chocobo's been in so many games that are covered already... :wink: Maybe you could move the games that are not yet covered into the end of the bio instead (like I just told p_n not to :roll: ), and just mention that Chocobo has been other games than the FF series, that he has a few games named after him and so on. Don't, however, remove any covered games from the list unless Chocobo's actually in them. Also, in your bio it says it first showed up in FF2, but you listed FF1 in the appearances list? I know there's a lot of confusion about the numbering of the FF games, but unless you've just made a mistake (i.e. you didn't intend to put FF1 on the list at all), a short explanation might help "straighten some question marks out". And I'd appreciate if you'd handle your links like p_n did (company + source links).

To both of you, if you can, try to find another (good) fansite or two to put in the links/sources list at the bottom (even if you didn't actually use them as sources). Thank you for your contributions to the project! If you want to write more bios, go ahead.

I edit my post, I did what you told me. Added one more source and added the games he has appeared in, under the game list. Oh yeah, im gonna let you write the senteces with more fluency. I am also planning to do a couple of more bios.

Aight, I did another bio. If you find anything wrong with it, just tell me. Oh, and I suck at grammar, if you havnt noticed already.

VEGA/BALROG

CAPCOM

ocr4_mascot81.jpg

Vega is a Spanish nobleman and a psychotic masked killer. He knows he is the best, and isnt afraid to tell anyone (Or even better, prove it to you) He likes himself and other beautiful things. But, hates all ugly things and thinks they should all die. Vega is a very skilled fighter, as he combines Bull Fighting, Ninjitsu, and Claw fighting into one fighting technique. Vega himself, a former matador, is very fast on his feet, and moves constantly while fighting. He wears a three-tined claw on his left hand, which makes him even more deadly when he fights. But, he has one weakness: If you bruise, mark, or scar his face, he will go into a blind fit of rage. This rage will make him strike his opponent without thinking and leaving himself open to attacks

Vega was a boss character in the 1991 game Steet Fighter. As the opponents defeated all the normal characters, they would face 4 "boss" characters. One of these was Vega and he was difficult to defeat. As the player would face him he would constantly jump, move, and attack quickly. He wasn't playable in the original Street Fighter II game. But, when Street Fighter II: Champion Edition and the rest of the installments of SFII came out, he was playable, along with the other bosses. When he became playable, he was a fan favorite, as the player could use his speed and claw to their advantage.

Vega has appeared in:

Arcade

Street Fighter II 1991

Street Fighter 2 CE 1992

Source

Vega

Wikipedia

Here's an admittedly easy one.

Deku Link

Nintendo

ocr4_mascot118.jpg

Deku Link is really the hero Link, of The Legend of Zelda series, transformed by a mischievous Skull Kid into a plantlike form (that of a "Deku Scrub") by the power of Majora's Mask.

Upon meeting the Happy Mask Salesman, Link learns the Song of Healing from him. This magical tune returns him to his former Hylian form and transmogrifies the unnatural Deku Scrub form into a mask.

Using the mask at will, Link later becomes Deku Link again to use the expanded abilities the alternate form grants him. These include projecting bubbles, temporary flight, skipping across water, and masquerading as one of the true Deku Scrubs in their own domain. However, Deku Link is critically vulnerable to fire and cannot dive into water.

Appearances:

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000)

Sources:

Wikipedia's Majora's Mask page

Other Links:

RPGamer's Majora's Mask page

Nintendo's official Majora's Mask page

This project has a huge scope, and I really hope that it doesn't break down, putting all this work to waste.

Would it be wise, do you think, to implement the project piecemeal? As each character's bio is written, perhaps it can be integrated into the site, so that it will generate more publicity and people will know that their work is actually becoming realized.

As a general rule, try to find other sources to go along with the wikipedia pages or we could just link the reader away instead of having bios on the site. That would suck. :| I'm going to comment further on your bios once I've straightened out what it is that I don't like about them. :)!!

This project has a huge scope, and I really hope that it doesn't break down, putting all this work to waste.

Would it be wise, do you think, to implement the project piecemeal? As each character's bio is written, perhaps it can be integrated into the site, so that it will generate more publicity and people will know that their work is actually becoming realized.

Much as I'd love to, that's not really for me to decide. The way I'd want it to be is rather dependent on the vbullentin system that is, if I'm not mistaken, in progress of replacing the phpBBB one on this site. The new system would enable me, and others, to create sub-threads within threads, and that way, we could have one thread for each character. That would simplify things.

It would also mean that we could, when someone clicks a mascot, direct them to a page that contains the bio and where people could comment on the bio and or suggest improvements to it etc. If someone clicks a mascot that hasn't had a bio written for it yet, there could be a message that says "No one has written a bio for this mascot yet! Do you want to write a bio now?" And then you could click yes and be forwarded to the bio instructions page and - well, you get the idea.

Unfortunately, this is not possible - yet. But I agree, we need some kind of advertisement beyond my sig image.

Sora

Square-Enix / Disney Interactive

ocr4_mascot129.jpg

Character Summary:

Sora, translating into "sky" from Japanese, is the result of a unique blend between the styles of Disney and Final Fantasy. He was designed by Tetsuya Nomura, the designer of many popular Final Fantasy characters, and voice casted by Miyu Irino in the Japanese version and by Haley Joel Osment in the English one.

First revealed as the hero of Kingdom Hearts, Sora is introduced as a fourteen year old from Destiny Island who is separated from his friends and home when his world is attacked by the Heartless: creatures born of the darkness in peoples' hearts. Naive but cheery, Sora journeys through various worlds with Donald Duck and Goofy in search of his friends and a way to stop the darkness that's consuming the hearts of people and their worlds using the keyblade.

Since his premier role, Sora has starred in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, and his story will continue a year after the events of Kingdom Hearts in the highly anticipated Kingdom Hearts II, which is expected to debut early 2006.

Sources:

Wikipedia - Kingdom Hearts

Kingdom Hearts Ultimania

Appearances:

GAME BOY ADVANCE

Kindom Hearts: Chain of Memories (2004)

PLAYSTATION 2

Kingdom Hearts (2002)

Kingdom Hearts II (2006)

EDIT by Dafydd: This is an excellent bio, as far as organization goes. Clear and Simple. I fixed some minor language issues, but I'm uncertain about the first sentence. Should it be "in" instead of "from"? What's the correct grammar there?

A'ight, so I think this project is a good idea, but it's dying. Honestly it's lacking organization and it's getting caught up on minor details. Now that I've finally read the entire thread here's what I think.

Darkesword mentioned creating one locked mascot thread that had each mascot in it, that one or two people could moderate and move bios into. I'd say that's simple and effective enough for right now. You could simply copy the bios straight out of this thread into each of the corresponding 120 posts on that thread, giving the contributer(s) credit. If people thought any of them were inaccurate or felt like writing new ones, they'd post in this thread and the moderator, prolly Dafydd but whoever else would be willing to do it, would consistently check this thread and move bios into the official locked one, or make changes as seemed necessary. Moderators would just format and moderate the official thread itself based on reading input from this thread.

What Dafydd seems to have been getting at was to have a thread dedicated to each individual mascot and allow people free reign on posting under the bio with comments about the bio. I think that would take much more effort to regulate if people could comment under every mascot. They should just do it in here methinks.

I would personally love to get as involved as I can in this project to see it get going, so what do you think?

A'ight, so I think this project is a good idea, but it's dying. Honestly it's lacking organization and it's getting caught up on minor details. Now that I've finally read the entire thread here's what I think.

Darkesword mentioned creating one locked mascot thread that had each mascot in it, that one or two people could moderate and move bios into. I'd say that's simple and effective enough for right now. You could simply copy the bios straight out of this thread into each of the corresponding 120 posts on that thread, giving the contributer(s) credit. If people thought any of them were inaccurate or felt like writing new ones, they'd post in this thread and the moderator, prolly Dafydd but whoever else would be willing to do it, would consistently check this thread and move bios into the official locked one, or make changes as seemed necessary. Moderators would just format and moderate the official thread itself based on reading input from this thread.

What Dafydd seems to have been getting at was to have a thread dedicated to each individual mascot and allow people free reign on posting under the bio with comments about the bio. I think that would take much more effort to regulate if people could comment under every mascot. They should just do it in here methinks.

I would personally love to get as involved as I can in this project to see it get going, so what do you think?

Having one post for every mascot in one giant bio thread could work, I guess. That's just about what we're doing now. About the thing dying, well, it's been dead ever since school started and my team quit on me. Unfortunately, school started for me, too, and I've been trying to keep this thing running since - along with my own life, and it's been difficult, as you can tell from the infrequency of my posts. If you wanna help, I'm not stopping you. One problem though - where's this bio thread of yours going to end up? In the site projects' forum? That could work. It'd be much more easy to maintain than the current way we're running things. And - yeah, I was kind of day-dreaming when suggesting one thread for every bio - we're never gonna have that many people visiting us and commenting anyway.

As suggested above, clicking the mascots on the site header could have the following consequence:

If someone clicks a mascot that hasn't had a bio written for it yet, there could be a message that says "No one has written a bio for this mascot yet! Do you want to write a bio now?"

This could work using posts instead of threads as well. This would be an excellent way to advertise the project.

As for getting caught up on details; I was instructed to ensure that this project and its bios maintain a certain level of quality that goes well along with the standards of this site (good English, correct spelling etc. (even though my English isn't perfect either, I give you that)). The judges are where they are because no one will be happier if all submitted remixes are accepted onto the site - it'll just make it more difficult to find something enjoyable to listen to and it will befoul the site's reputation. I'm here micro-managing people's bios because

a) if the bios stunk, that would make the site look bad as a whole and the whole project would be a waste of time.

B) if I just told people "no, your bio stinks" they wouldn't try again, and there wouldn't be any bios written. Thus, I have to tell people exactly what's wrong with their bios before I can give them the green light.

c) I can't write all the bios myself, because I don't know who the mascots are and never played the games they're in, which is why I started the original thread to start with.

If you wanna help, you're more than welcome - especially if you're not buried under as many books as I am.

Ah... yes... senior year of high school. I don't have books to be buried under so I have nothing but time. One of the things I didn't realize when I posted earlier was that changing forum style actually was imminent. I figured it was just a far off dream...

I'd say, you definately need to figure out a perfect bio, that you can put on the first page of this thread and people can use as reference for their bios. Then go ahead and edit grammer on posts like you've done and make sure the organization is constant on every bio.

So, here's another one... I'm not feeling quite as good about this one, but whatever. Feedback's appreciated and edit as you feel necessary.

---------

The Turks

Square-Enix

ocr4_mascot128.jpg

Character Summary:

While the origin of the name "Turks" is unknown, in their first appearance in Final Fantasy VII they represent a special division of the ShinRa Electric Power Company designated mostly to carry out president Rufus' dirty work. They build an interesting relationship with the main heroes of FF7, where they are many times ordered to do one thing, and act differently based on whether they're enjoying their vacation too much or feel as if they're employers are a lost cause, joining forces with the party. Though they are Rufus' dogs they are dynamic characters who many people appreciate after playing FF7. Tetsuya Nomura's design of the Turks along with all other major characters in Final Fantasy VII first brought him into the video game industry.

From left to right above, the Turks consist of...

Elena - The only female Turk in FF7, she's the newest recruit added to their ranks because of Reno's injuries earlier in the game during the sector plate collapse. She's rather shallow and inexperienced at her newly appointed job.

Tseng - Tseng is the serious, persistent leader of the Turks. He disappears for the second half of the game after a scene where he nearly gets killed by Sephiroth.

Rufus - Not actually a Turk, but the newly appointed president of ShinRa following his father's death. He intends to control the world by fear and, in the process, attempts to harvest power out of the very life of the world of FF7, the life-stream.

Rude - A long-time friend of Reno's, Rude has very few speaking moments in FF7. He's notable mostly by his sunglasses...

Reno - The most prominent of the Turks, he's rather arrogant but lazy. Has a lasting vendetta with Cloud and the heroes of FF7 after they leave him injured near the beginning of the game.

Within the past year, Square-Enix has revealed multiple titles of movies, cell-phone games, novels, animes, and playstation games that may or may not include the Turks. The ones below are the currently confirmed.

Sources:

Wikipedia - Turks

Final Fantasy Shrine - FF7

RPGamer - FF7

Appearances:

PLAYSTATION

Final Fantasy VII (1997)

OTHER

Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII (2004)

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (2005)

Nice bio, OmegaMe! Well heres my submittion also. It's not as long as my other ones, but hell, that could be good sometimes. Also feedback is appreciated and my grammar still sucks.

Leon Belmont

Konami

ocr4_mascot7.jpg

Leon is a noble 11th century knight, and the youngest known Belmont in any Castlevania game to date. He was a warrior without fear and fought in the name of God, this made him a great warrior. But, as time passed his bride, Sara Trantoul, was kidnapped by the vampire Walter Bernhard. This forced him to go into the forest of the "Eternal Night" and seek the vampire out in his castle. As he arrived he was gave a whip made of Alchemy (which would later become the "Vampire Killer" which all the other Belmonts would use in the future) Leon is quite possibly the ancestor to all the other Belmonts who appeared through out the series of Castlevania.

During the gameplay of Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, you would start out with Leon Belmont.(Other characters could be unlocked, after one finish the game) As players controlled Leon Belmont you could use whips, spells, potions, and various other equipment you find through out the castle. Also, the only way to progress through out the game and explore more levels, was to fight the 5 castle guardians. After the 5 castle guardians would be defeated the door to the last boss would finally open.

Leon Belmont has appeared in:

Playstation 2

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence

Source

Wikipedia

Leon Belmont

Classicgaming

• 2 weeks later...

A long bio is not at all necessarily better than a short one, p_n. I.e. You're right. Your bio on Leon was much better than the one before that, I think, especially since you stayed with one tense throughout most of the bio. We'll sort out the small things later. Also, I read a sentence in your bio earlier that sounded almost exactly as the one in the source. This might have happened in other's bios as well, but it's something that we should try to avoid if possible. Especially if the source is wikipedia :)!! (not that I mind wikipedia as such, I just don't want us to end up seeming like a wikipedia mirror site).

Ah... yes... senior year of high school. I don't have books to be buried under so I have nothing but time.

I'm sensing some shining irony here, but my experience from junior year (6 hours of school and 13 hours of play - every weekday. That's right, I didn't sleep very much that year) tells me you might as well be honest. :whatevaa: I'm confused.

• 2 weeks later...

Vivi Ornitier

Square-Enix

ocr4_mascot26.jpg

Character Summary:

As a younger main character of Final Fantasy IX, Vivi is perhaps the most appreciated. His design is taken directly from the generic black mages in the first Final Fantasies, which had since disappeared in the newest ones. Final Fantasy IX is incredibly different compared to the other recent Final Fantasies in that it takes gamers back to the roots of Final Fantasy with a more playful plot than the others, and it takes place in a nostalgic fantasy world. Thus, the characters are not too customizable and have set classes you can't change, there are no handguns or helicopters or complex machines from the world today, the characters are more playfully designed and unrealistically young, and much of the game alludes to something from past Final Fantasies - such as Vivi.

In the game, Vivi is a clumsy childish character who is naive to world around him, but wise in dealing with the challenges in it. Vivi's conflict involves his search for identity after he learns early on in the game he was not born but actually produced as a tool for war. His conflict continues as he searches for answers about life and death, and free will and fate. He's revered by normal people to be an extremely powerful black mage, and also plays a key role in your party during the game as the only user of magic such as Fire, Ice, Thunder and others.

Vivi has only appeared in FF9 and most likely will be exclusive to it.

Sources:

Final Fantasy Insider - FF9

Appearances:

PLAYSTATION

Final Fantasy IX (2000)