OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

Still looking for people to help out?

I'm willing to tackle the HUnewearl from PSO, as well as Earthworm Jim and Tira for now, and likely more later, if that is alright.

Also, I have a few things to add to the DOOM marine, from the handy dandy iD Official Guide, if you do not mind.

Um. Sure. Until this project is finished, I need all the help I can get. Just post whatever additional info you have on the Doom Trooper somewhere, maybe by adding it to your last post, and I'll take your additions into consideration. As stated earlier, all of the bios are subject to change... Except... maybe the one on Kingdom Hearts, which is our unofficial textbook example mascot bio. :wink:

I've made some small changes to Vivi's bio. There's one thing though - what's the official name of the game - IX or 9? There's a lot of inconsistency here. :?

I've been hesitant to posting my own bios so far, mostly because I don't feel like I should complain on other's bios when my own aren't that great, either, but here's one... although it is admittedly a WiP, and very short, it is, at least, something to work with. Comments appreciated. Also, if anyone knows if F-Zero X Expansion Kit includes any appearances of Captain Falcon, please let me know...

I need some kind of opinions on how big a cameo must be for the game the character cameoed in to be listed in the appearances list. It doesn't feel like the fact that captain falcon's helmet appeared in Kirby Super Star is reason enough to put that game in his appearances list. But in Warioware, inc., you can play the entire F-Zero game! Bleh.

Captain Falcon

Nintendo

ocr4_mascot100.jpg

A 26th century bounty hunter / hovercraft racer, Captain Falcon is one of Shigeru Miyamoto's many creations, and was first introduced to the gaming world in Nintendo's Mode7 racer "F-Zero", one of the first SNES games ever to be released. Even though the game allows the player to choose from 4 different characters - each with their own hovercraft - Captain Falcon with his Blue Falcon is really the protagonist, or main character, of the game - he is even fortunate enough to have his own short comic in the game manual. A man of somewhat inflated self-confidence, he likes to think of himself as someone who kicks ass both on and off the track, and has stayed that way throughout the now long-running F-Zero series, except in the GBA release, F-Zero Maximum Velocity, where none of the original F-Zero characters were featured. Captain Falcon is also a playable character in Nintendo's all-character get-together - the Super Smash Bros series, and he, parts of him and/or his hovercraft have made small cameos in a variety of Nintendo games, such as Kirby Superstar, Super Mario RPG and Pokémon Stadium 2. He also stars in the F-Zero cartoon series "The Legend of Falcon" created in 2003.

Sources:

The F-Zero game manual

Advanced Media Network

Nintendo Planet

Astro64th's Nintendo Gallery

Appearances:

SNES

F-Zero (1990)

N64

Super Smash Bros (1999)

Cheers.

Lemming

PSYGNOSIS

ocr4_mascot95.jpg

There is no one lemming that stands out in Psygnosis’ famous strategy series, no main character per se. Legions of the little green haired freaks attended to your every command in getting to their final destination, a small portal that supposedly led to better places. Incidentally, this game formula turned out to be highly successful, several games magazines of the time awarding it maximum review scores, and as such the lemming character has many a fond place in player’s hearts. Well, either that or laughing after blowing them up.

In getting these small creatures where they wanted to go, several different abilities were at the player’s disposal. One could assign a lemming to build a bridge of stairs, dig through the terrain in their way, even commit suicide for the good of their group. Great care had to given to the Lemmings as well, for if they unknowingly walked over a great cliff they would fall to their doom. To get all the lemmings to the other side of the level unharmed demanded a sharp mind and quick decisions. If enough had survived, the game would progress to the next level.

Lemmings’ originality briefly gave rise to a new genre, and inspired spin offs, either in game mechanics or art style. Team 17’s Worms series tips its hat to the simple 2D graphical style, and even Nintendo’s recent Pikmin games have a few things in common with the classic. Its popularity allowed Lemmings to be ported to many different systems, even some modern day remakes on handhelds.

Quote: “Oh no!”

Source:

Wikipedia Page

Games the Lemmings have appeared in:

AMIGA

Lemmings (1991)

COMMODORE 64

Lemmings (1993)

GAME BOY COLOUR

Lemmings (2000)

The Psygnosis link is only a fan page, as the company in question has since been accquired by Sony and does not go under that name anymore.

Saria

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot125.jpg

Saria is a main character in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. A childhood friend of Link, she is one of the Kokiri tribe, a group of fairy folk whose beliefs tell that they will die if they leave Kokiri forest. Link being Hylian however caused a separation between the two early on in the game, Saria giving him the Fairy Ocarina as a memento. The two could communicate telepathically by playing Saria’s song.

After Link is sealed away for seven years in the Temple of Time, it becomes apparent that Saria is one of the seven Sages, that of the Forest. She is sealed away in the Forest Temple by Ganondorf, where Link ultimately comes to rescue her and receives the Forest Medallion as a token of her power. The Kokiri, being ageless, never grow old while Link matures during the game.

At the climax of Ocarina of Time, Saria combines her powers with those of the other Sages to seal Ganondorf in the Sacred Realm. It is presumed that the legend of Saria as a Sage lives on in the world of Hyrule, one of the towns in Adventure of Link named after her.

Saria as a character has only appeared in Ocarina of Time, but Saria’s Song has recently appeared in Super Smash Bros Melee.

Quote: "Oh, you're leaving."

Source:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time characters Wikipedia page

Games Saria has appeared in:

NINTENDO 64

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)

Viewtiful Joe

CAPCOM

ocr4_mascot112.jpg

"Henshin a go-go, baby!" says Joe, after being granted one of the magical V- Watches from his superhero idol Captain Blue. This allows the ordinary movie loving star of Capcom’s series to become his alter ego, Viewtiful Joe. A cross between comic books and Hollywood movies, the Viewtiful Joe titles have breathed fresh air into an otherwise stale genre of gaming, harking back to games such as River City Ransom and Double Dragon.

In the original of the series, Joe’s girlfriend Silvia was kidnapped by a bunch of ambitious silver screen villains whose intent was to extend their grip to the real world. In the two dimensional levels, the V- Watch allowed Joe to bend time, going into a Matrix inspired slow motion to dodge bullets and generally become more powerful. Mach speed was the opposite, turning him into an incredibly speedy trail of flame. The third power was Zoom, stopping most enemies in their tracks and giving Joe extra abilities.

The bosses that must be fought at the end of each stage are varied, but one in particular, Alastor, considers himself to be the hero’s nemesis. Nicknamed ‘The Midnight Thunderboy’, he uses lightning attacks and inspired Joe’s hero name.

The relative success for the originally GameCube exclusive title allowed the development of a sequel. This time around Silvia joined up with Joe in a tag team style gameplay mechanic. Being released for both GameCube and Playstation 2, Viewtiful Joe 2 mostly stuck to the formula that the original set down. Other titles have been released in the franchise- Battle Carnival being a multiplayer game inspired by Super Smash Bros Melee, and Double Trouble makes use of the DS’ touch screen to deliver a wider range of moves. An anime based on the game has aired on TV Tokyo and has been licensed for US distribution by Geneon.

Quote: "A man wears a scar as a medal! Not to say I couldn't win unhurt."

Source:

Viewtiful Joe Wikipedia Page

Games Joe has appeared in:

GAMECUBE

Viewtiful Joe (2003)

Viewtiful Joe 2 (2004)

Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble (2005)

NINTENDO DS

Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble (2005)

November 6 edit- Changed a bit in the last paragraph, more neutral now. Original statement as follows:

'Being released for both GameCube and Playstation 2, Viewtiful Joe 2 failed to expand the formula that the original set down.'

Earthworm Jim

Shiny Entertainment/Virgin Interactive

ocr4_mascot59.jpg

Earthworm Jim was quite a new brand of hero, silly from the get-go. An ordinary earthworm, Jim lived day to day doing earthworm things, like eating dirt. Then, on one fateful day, a spacesuit (fully titled the ultra-high-tech-indestructible-super-space-cyber-suit) dropped from the sky, falling onto Jim and transforming him into a large, strong, intelligent (at least by earthworm standards) super-hero. Armed with his trusy blaster, Jim quests to rescue Princess What's-Her-Name, who has been imprisoned by the evil Queen Slug-For-A-Butt. Jim also had a trusty sidekick, Peter Puppy, and together they battled enemies with such monikers as Bob the Killer Goldfish, Major Mucus, Evil the Cat, Psy-Crow and Professor Monkey-For-A-Head.

The first game, titled Earthworm Jim, was quite innovative at the time. The animation in the game was very high quality, and the silly theme was unique. Earthworm Jim was bestowed a variety of different abilities, such as using his head as a whip to swing across gaps. Doug TenNapel is responsible for Jim's design, as well as most of the major characters in the game, and Jim's own voice. The music, however, was solely the work of Tommy Tallarico.

Later along the road, an Earthworm Jim TV show and even comic series came to be.

Sources:

Earthworm Jim's Wiki

Game Appearances:

Earthworm Jim-1994

SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive/Mega CD*, SNES, Game Gear, GBA, PC*

Earthworm Jim 2-1995

SEGA Genesis, SEGA Saturn, Playstation, SNES, PC

Clay Fighter 63 1/3-1997

Nintendo 64

Earthworm Jim 3D-1999

PC, Nintendo 64

Earthworm Jim: Menace 2 the Galaxy-1999

Game Boy Color

*Platform supported a 'special edition' of the game, with better music, extended levels, etc.

Aight, so I finally got off my lazy ass and wrote up a bio. This one is probaly my longest one to date, and feedback is always appreciated. (MY GRAMMAR STLL SUCKS)

Cammy White

Capcom

ocr4_mascot17.jpg

Cammy, was a high ranking member in the crime organization known as, Shadaloo. She was one of M. Bison's higher ranked members and an assassin. She did anything that M. Bison told her to do, and never asked questions. However, it is revealed later on that, Cammy was created by Shadaloo using M. Bison's DNA. The only reason she was created was to become a future body host for, Bison. However, over time she broke free from the Mind Control and became independent. She was now useless and was supposed to be exterminated, however, Vega had saved her and dropped her off on the doorstep of the British paramilitary organization Delta Red. She then awakens with amnesia and later on joins Delta red and becomes the Cammy White that fights terrorists.

Cammy first appeared in the 1993 game, Super Street Fighter II, which was the fourth upgrade of the original Street Fighter II. Cammy was one of the 4 characters that was introduced into the game, and was the 2nd female to ever appear in a Street Fighter game. Cammy also had two main incarnations through out the series. Shadaloo Cammy is the loyal bodyguard and assassin of M. Bison. While the Delta Red Cammy is an English Secret Service Agent fighting terrorism and trying to make the world a better place.

Only one game that features Cammy has been remixed on OC Remix.

Arcade

Super Street Fighter II 1993

Source

Cammyfan

Wikipedia

Cammy Site

Bowser

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot25.jpg

Almost as famous as his arch nemesis Mario, King Bowser Koopa filled in the role of the standard ‘bad guy’ role in the Super Mario series of games. His one ambition- kidnap Princess Peach, and gaining full power of the Mushroom Kingdom. Bearing a grudge to Mario and friends, he never stops trying to usurp their position as victorious, though a few times he has teamed up with the crew, albeit reluctantly.

Bowser’s first appearance was in Super Mario Bros, as a boss at the end of every fourth level. Little character was given to him in this installment, a given due to the style of game, and technology of the time. In Super Mario Bros 3 further light was shed on the character, a change of appearance (his red mane) and the debut of his seven children, each a boss themselves. In the 3D platformers, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, Bowser's role was largely the same, though taller and more menacing than in previous games. Sunshine only had him play a small role.

Chronologically, Bowser’s first appearance in the series was Super Mario Bros, but his starring in the prequel Yoshi’s Island saw him as a baby being cared for by Kamek, a loyal underling of his army. Here Baby Luigi was captured by his cohorts, the Yoshi clan ultimately reuniting Baby Mario with his brother. After being beaten by the Yoshis, Kamek’s vow was to have revenge, a setup to the later games.

The Mario RPG series show Bowser in a different light, more if a comic relief to the game. Joining the player’s party in Super Mario RPG, Bowser constantly complained about the others hero like attitude to the quest- he was only in it to get his castle back, taken over by Smithy’s crew. In Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, sections between the chapters allowed the player to control Bowser in recreations of levels from Super Mario Bros.

Bowser has appeared in many other games, most being spin offs of the Mario series such as Mario Kart, Mario Party and Super Smash Bros, either in playable form or bad guy posse. He fulfills the role of the heavyweight character in these titles.

Quote: "I know what you're thinking....all this power, and looks, too!"

Source:

Bowser Wikipedia Page

Games Bowser has appeared in:

NES

Super Mario Bros (1985)

Super Mario Bros 3 (1988-1992)

SNES

Super Mario World (1991)

Super Mario Kart (1992)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)

Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars (1996)

NINTENDO 64

Super Mario 64 (1996)

Mario Kart 64 (1997)

Paper Mario (2001)

GAMECUBE

Super Smash Bros Melee (2001)

Super Mario Sunshine (2002)

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (2003)

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (2004)

M. Bison

Capcom

ocr4_mascot89.jpg

M. Bison, was a martial artist who trained and learned how to use the Psycho Power. A type of power that allows him to fly, teleport, and create multiple images of himself. But, he wanted to be the strongest and best fighter in the world, so he could dominate it. He then created Shadaloo, a very powerful crime organization, and would soon start hiring other martial artists and soldiers. But, even he needed to become more powerful, so he had to master the Psycho Power. The only way he could master it was to expell his "good" side from his body, which eventually took the form of Rose. His body was eventually killed by detective Chun-Li, and Charlie. His soul then took control of Rose, untill Shadaloo could build him a new body. He then held the Second World Tournament, and during the finals of the tournament, Akuma jumped in and killed him with the Shun Goku Satsu.

M. Bison first appeared in the game Street Fighter II, as the final boss, but he was not playable at the time. But, once Street Fighter II: Champion Edition and the rest of the installments came out, him and the other boss characters became playable. Even though he first appeared in SFII, he was not as powerful as his Street Fighter Alpha 3 form, seeing as during SFII he did not have the Psycho Drive anymore. This could be the one reason, that Akuma, could of killed Bison with the Shun Goku Satsu.

Bison has appeared in:

Street Fighter II 1991

Street Fighter II: Campion Edition 1992

Super Street Fighter II 1993

Street Fighter Alpha 2 1996

Street Fighter Ex Plus 1997

Source

Wikipedia

M. Bison

How could this be? The Mascot Bio Project actually getting somewhere? :wink:

The bios coming out seem to be pretty comprehensive, this coming from someone who doesn't know many of the characters. Psychotic Ninja, it's just your grammar that you need to touch up on- some of your sentences seem disjointed, such as the last line in the M. Bison bio.

By my count, we've got 22 out 135 bios done (or at least started). Maybe when it's picked up more steam, though, the bios shouldn't be posted in the thread, for the same reason of songs kept secret in site projects until its unveiling. Thoughts?

EDIT- A friend of mine said he'd do Magus in a few days, so there's another one.

By the looks of it, it certainly has picked up steam during the last few days, thanks to a few heroic underlings of mine :) Some bios are better written than others, but it's nothing that can't be fixed. I haven't had the time to read them all through yet, but feel free to help each others out. P_N, you sometimes have some grammar issues, but your bios turn very well with a little help.

Watkinzez, I think I get your point but I'm not sure I can agree. Eventually all bios will have to be posted somewhere else, but I'd prefer to have as much publicity as possible. In a perfect world, we would be able to have finished bios moved to their final destination (a place to which people would be linked when clicking the mascots on top) even as the rest of the project is under way. This would hopefully attract even more underlings to my realm. :)!!

Anyway, I'm glad you are all posting bios and keeping the project alive, and I'm sorry for being unable to participate more actively for the time being. I will return with comments, and, possibly, corrections, shortly.

Ness

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot14.jpg

Given the fame of other various Nintendo characters, Earthbound’s hero Ness seems somewhat neglected, along with his game series. Though huge in Japan at the time of release (known as Mother 2), Earthbound saw little success in America and was not released in Europe or Australia, instead gathering a cult following.

The main character of the Super Nintendo classic, Ness is the complete opposite of the standard RPG hero- a young boy with a baseball bat and yoyo, though with an affinity for psychic powers. It is presumed that Ness was based off the stereotypical 1950’s American child, a timeframe which the game emphasizes and parodies. He peacefully lives in Onett, before he is intercepted by a bee like creature, Buzz Buzz. The messenger tells him of the malevolent entity Giygas, set to take over the world ten years in the future. Ness is informed of the quest he must take- travel to eight sanctuaries and collect the Sound Stone melodies, thereby giving him enough power to take on Giygas. Buzz Buzz is swatted dead by Pokey’s mother, a friend of Ness, soon after.

Ness is one of a party of four in Earthbound, the others being Paula, Jeff and Poo. Paula is hinted as a love interest for Ness in the game, the song ‘Smiles and Tears’ recounting Ness’ love regrets near the end of the game. Jeff is the intellectual type, helping repair gadgets for the party. Poo is a relative stranger from the far off country of Dalaam, highly trained in martial arts. It should be noted that Ness does not talk during the entirety of the game, and is somewhat ambiguous as a character.

After Earthbound was released Ness has been given little roles to play in video games, the only other appearance being Super Smash Bros and its sequel Melee, being an unlockable character and starter character in the respective games. Being from the same developer, HAL, many references are present in the character, stages and trophies to do with Earthbound, paying homage to what was and is a great character and game to identify with. A sequel, Mother 3, was a 2006 release in Japan, but did not include Ness as a character.

Source:

Ness Wikipedia Page

Games Ness has appeared in:

SNES

Earthbound (1994)

NINTENDO 64

Super Smash Bros (1999)

GAMECUBE

November 6 edit- edited the last sentence since Mother 3 has since been released.

Agreed, Watkinzez you are a biography machine.

Mine is a bit to-the-letter of wiki for my taste... I will work on it for the other two bios.

Also, there was mention of using the Chrono Compendium for the CT character bios, and I think that should be taken under advisement. As much as I love CT, and would love to take on the CT chars, the only thing stopping me from doing the bios all right now overnight was looking over at the Chrono Compendium's work. It's more complete than I could hope for on a draft, polished, etc. So, although the characters are very popular, they have been covered, and quite well. More than wiki, because some wikis are simply too broad, like on EWJ up there.

My thoughts, that is all. Besides, you will likely have a ton of corrections on FF/CT chars anyway, better to use the (I assume) already collective input of the Compendium.

And I do have quite a bit of story for the DOOM man, but I am lax in my duties and typing it up is a bit...well it's not exactly action packed work.

Alex Kidd

SEGA

ocr4_mascot9.jpg

Before Sonic was even dreamed up by Naoto Ohshima and Yuji Naka, Alex Kidd effectively stood up as Sega’s first videogame mascot. Debuting on the ill fated Master System, the style of game that Alex Kidd starred in was designed much like Super Mario Bros, in an attempt to bring more users to the Master System brand. Overall, Kidd was made to fulfill the platform role- exaggerated aesthetic features to stand out, young age, and a somewhat animal inspired build.

Donning large pointy ears and the largest sideburns ever known to man, Kidd entered the game market with Alex Kidd in Miracle World, which eventually turned out to be a cult classic. The plot was simple- save Kidd’s brother from the rather evil Janken. While more focused on puzzle solving and strategic block smashing than the Italian plumber, the main things setting it apart was the difficulty (three lives to get through the game, extra lives rare), and the boss battles. These consisted of scissors paper rock matches, effectively deciding your fate on chance (though the enemy’s decision was in a set pattern). Another nice diversion was the inclusion of vehicles that Kidd could use, consisting of a motorcycle and helicopter, spicing up the gameplay somewhat.

After the original, Alex Kidd went on to create a miniature franchise. The Lost Stars, for both Master System and arcade, was a simplified version of the original, creating a faster game that emphasized more platform jumping than puzzle solving. High Tech World attempted to vary the action by having levels involving ninja combat. Alex even showed up on the Genesis in The Enchanted Castle, going back to a style more like Miracle World, with a few additions. His last adventure was back on the Master System, Shinobi World, effectively splicing the Kidd franchise with another of Sega’s, Shinobi.

The advent of Sonic the Hedgehog ended up with Sega dropping Alex as their mascot post 1990. While having missed out on such a wide audience that the NES and Mario had, Kidd still today holds a special place in people’s hearts and is remembered as a landmark videogame character.

Source:

Alex Kidd Wikipedia Page

Hardcore Gaming 101- Alex Kidd

Games Alex Kidd has appeared in:

MASTER SYSTEM

Alex Kidd in Miracle World (1986)

Alex Kidd and The Lost Stars (1989)

Alex Kidd in High Tech World (1989)

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World (1990)

ARCADE

Alex Kidd and The Lost Stars (1986)

GENESIS

Alex Kidd and the Enchanted Castle (1989)

Edited: It's supposed to be "Alex Kidd", without the "the", (source), thanks for the heads-up to Hydrophoenix. The bio read both "Alex Kidd" and "Alex the Kidd" inconsistently, and so this has been fixed. Also, there's some inconsistency in this bio regarding the alternating usage of "Kidd" and "Alex" when using only of them. I'm not sure which one to use.

Donkey Kong

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot15.jpg

Circa 1981, Nintendo employee Shigeru Miyamoto was entrusted with the task to make an arcade game fit for the American market. The result was a character that would stand the test of time, the one of the first games with a save the damsel in distress storyline. In Donkey Kong, the player actually controlled the character Jumpman (who later turned out to be Mario), attempting to save his girlfriend Pauline from the clutches of the giant ape. Named ‘Kong’ for ape and ‘Donkey’ for a slow stubborn nature, Nintendo’s first mascot actually came under fire from Universal for infringing on their King Kong copyright. Nintendo eventually won the case, even discovering that Universal didn’t even own the copyrights to Kong themselves. Donkey Kong went on to be remembered as the first platform game, and the first platform nemesis.

Two sequels were made for this series, Donkey Kong Junior had the player controlling DK’s son in an effort to save the ape from Mario. Donkey Kong 3 involved a spat between DK and a character called Stanley the Bugman in a greenhouse. At this time forward Nintendo decided to focus on Mario as their title character, and so Donkey Kong was laid to rest for a time.

Near the end of the SNES era, Donkey Kong returned in a big way. The Donkey Kong Country series established a whole new franchise around the character, creating a world, sidekicks, and adversaries. DK and his pal Diddy Kong set on a journey to recover their banana hoard from the evil King K. Rool. Rare’s unique humour spread across the franchise, spawning two more sequels, both of which Donkey was captured in and therefore not playable.

The Nintendo 64 title Donkey Kong 64 was also made by Rare, but had evolved to 3D in a style much like Super Mario 64 and their own Banjo Kazooie. The emphasis on item collecting made the game pale in comparison to the Country series, according to many fans. During this era DK starred in games such as Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros. Donkey Kong Racing was planned for GameCube but was ultimately scrapped after Rare was bought by Microsoft. The DK name has since been used in a variety of titles, such as the Donkey Konga series, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Mario spin off titles. The Country series has also seen a re- release on the Game Boy Advance.

Quote: "Okay!"

Source:

Donkey Kong Wikipedia Page

Games Donkey Kong has appeared in:

ARCADE

Donkey Kong (1981)

Donkey Kong Junior (1982)

Donkey Kong 3 (1983)

SNES

Donkey Kong Country (1994)

Donkey Kong Country 2 (1995)

Donkey Kong Country 3 (1996)

GAME BOY

Donkey Kong Land (1995)

Donkey Kong Land 2 (1996)

Donkey Kong Land 3 (1997)

N64

Mario Kart 64 (1997)

Donkey Kong 64 (1999)

Super Smash Bros (1999)

GAME BOY ADVANCE

Donkey Kong Country (2003)

Donkey Kong Country 2 (2004)

Donkey Kong Country 3 (2005)

GAMECUBE

Donkey Konga (2004)

Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (2005)

November 6 edit- Removed:

'It has been since confirmed that the DK in this game is in fact not the same one from the original series, and in fact DK Junior. The passing of time saw the original DK become an old senile gorilla who spent his time complaining about how the games he starred in were that much better, and that kids these days had it easy.'

The statement in question is hotly contested in the DK fan community, so it'd be better to omit the fact at all.

Mega Man X/Rock Man X

Capcom

ocr4_mascot47.jpg

X is an advance robot created by the famous, Dr. Light. He is a whole new kind of robot, able to think for himself and make his own decisions. But, Dr. Light had the fear that X would break the First Law of Robots (Harming a human) So, X was sealed in a capsule for 30 years to test the integrity of X's systems. After 30 years of being in the capsule, he was finally discoverd by Dr. Cain and let out of the capsule. Dr. Cain was amazed by his technology and tried to replicate it, thus the Reploid was born. However, some reploids began to rebel against their human creators, these reploids came to be known as "Mavericks." X, had then found himself fighting on the Human side, and destroying the Mavericks each by each.

X first appeared in the 1993 game, Mega Man X. During the game, he would have to fight his way through each Maverick stages, and defeat a boss at the end of each level. Like Mega Man before him, X has the Variable Weapons System. This allows him to copy a certain weapon from a powerful Reploid he has defeated, and turn it into a weapon he can use. After the player has fought his way through the 8 normal stages, and defeated each Maverick Boss at the end, he would have to go to the Sigma stages. After the player has beaten all the Sigma stages, he would have to defeat the 8 Maverick Bosses again and fight the final boss, Sigma.

X has appeared in:

Mega Man X 1993

Mega Man X2 1994

Mega Man X3 1995

Mega Man X4 1997

Mega Man Zero 2 2003

Source

Wikipedia

Fox McCloud

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot42.jpg

One of Nintendo’s relatively recent characters, born from a collaboration between EAD and Argonaut Software, Fox McCloud acts a mercenary for the Star Fox team in the Lylat System. Piloting his one man spacecraft, the Arwing, he fights alongside Falco Lombardi, Peppy Hare and Slippy Toad, constantly clashing against their sworn enemy Andross and his swarm of droid armies.

Fox was created by artist Takaya Imamura, and was inspired by the foxes of Japanese god Inari, donning the same red scarf that Inari shrine statues include. While a fox, McCloud speaks in English in the series, though Lylat Wars (the non US version of Star Fox 64) allowed the characters to speak in their native language.

Fox’s first title was on the SNES, Star Fox releasing in 1993, riding on the hype that the Super FX chip created. This allowed the game to run in a crude polygon shooter style- while being unimpressive by today’s standards, this was a huge step forward in gaming at the time. The game consisted of a non linear level structure that followed McCloud’s journey to destroy the evil scientist Andross. A sequel was planned for the Super Nintendo but was ultimately cancelled for a variety of reasons, mostly due to cost and the advent of the N64. Star Fox 64 expanded on the formula and gave more back story to Fox McCloud, such as the death of his father due to the traitorous Pigma Dengar. Pigma also appeared in the game as part of the Star Wolf team, evil counterparts of Fox and company.

Rare’s Star Fox Adventures was much more story based than the previous in the series, game design akin to the Zelda games. Originally called Dinosaur Planet and starring the fox Sabre, Nintendo saw fit to alter the development process and align it in the Star Fox franchise. Set eight years after SF64, the title told of Fox’s attempts to rebuild Dinosaur Planet, ripped apart by a power unbalance. Here Fox was cockier than previous titles (voiced by Steve Malpass), and incorporated a style found in most other Rare games. After Microsoft’s acquisition of the company in 2002, the Star Fox franchise was handed over to Namco to make Star Fox Assault, returning Fox to his roots in his Arwing. McCloud has appeared as a character in both Super Smash Bros games, using his speed and blaster to an advantage.

Quote: "I'm not paid enough for this..."

Source:

Fox McCloud Wikipedia Page

Star Fox Wikipedia Page

Star Fox 64 Wikipedia Page

Star Fox Adventures Wikipedia Page

Games Fox McCloud has appeared in:

SNES

Star Fox (1993)

Star Fox 2 (cancelled) (1995)

NINTENDO 64

Star Fox 64 (1997)

Super Smash Bros (1999)

GAMECUBE

Star Fox Adventures (2002)

Star Fox Assault (2005)

wow. Hopefully I'll have the time to read through all this during the weekend. Remember, copying right off wikipedia isn't all that interesting, really. If possible, please find more links to go with your characters and add them here, even if the links are found on the wikipedia page (but does not link to a wikipedia page).

If you can, please refer to game manuals. I'll put that on the front page.

Hi, i've been a browser of the forums for a long time, but never made a single post, this is one thing I had to correct as it frustrated me as a kid A LOT, and now it's happening again. I'm refering to the "Alex 'the' Kidd" post, he's called "Alex Kidd" not Alex the Kidd, as i'm sure if it was 'the kidd' there'd only be a single D in Kid. Check the remix pages on this site for Alex Kidd, it's correct there, and you can see the title screen for the one alex kidd game they've got on there hasn't a single 'the' on it..

Sorry for the rant.. just something that ticked me off a little.. great work here so far though =)

I agree "Alex Kidd" sounds kinda odd, but then again, that's not for us to say, at least not within this project :)

Btw, Watkinzez, I'd like to thank you for your massive contribution so far. I'll continue my efforts to correct errors of yours and others and my own, but so far your bios have kept a high level of quality.

No problem. I figure I can't contribute to the site musically, so this is a way I can help.

Metroid

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot117.jpg

The Metroid are a fictional species from the planet SR-388, subsequently naming the Metroid series of games headed up by Gunpei Yokoi. The Metroids are parasitic life forms, feeding on the life energy of unsuspecting victims, not unlike a leech. Their aggressiveness and rapid reproduction however makes them a dangerous foe, especially in swarms. The Chozo (1) name for Metroid can be translated to ‘ultimate warrior’.

There are several stages in the Metroid life cycle, being unveiled over the titles in the series. The larval Metroids are the most common seen in the games, their ability to hover by using kinetic energy stored in their body. The gelatinous shell that they possess is impervious to most weapons, the underbody a weak spot. In the original Metroid, a combination of the Ice Beam and missiles would take care of them. When attacked in Metroid Prime, a morph ball bomb would shake them off.

As the Metroids grow they begin to form a more reptilian appearance, their shell hardening, and a head emerging. The life cycle was most evident in Metroid II, the Metroid Queen being the ultimate of the species. In this game bounty hunter Samus Aran set out to eradicate the Metroid life form, posing a threat to the Galactic Federation.

In the Game Boy Advance title Metroid Fusion, an upset of the food chain on SR-388 allowed the X Parasite (the Metroid’s natural prey) to multiply rapidly. Upon returning to the planet to help a group of scientists, Samus was infected by the parasite and only survived by a vaccine of Metroid DNA used on her. Using this DNA Samus was able to combat the X Parasite.

Other variations of Metroids have appeared, most notably in the Prime series, where the Space Pirates used them as test subjects to the radioactive substance Phazon. The effect to the creatures was extreme growth and mutation, several species of which Samus was forced to uncover and take down.

1- An ancient, wise race in the Metroid games, almost considered Biblical in their world.

Source:

Metroid (Video Game Species) Wikipedia Page

Metroid Prime (Creature) Wikipedia Page

Super Smash Bros Melee Trophy Section

Super Metroid Manual

Games the Metroids have appeared in:

NES

Metroid (1986)

GAME BOY

Metroid II: Return of Samus (1992)

SNES

Super Metroid (1994)

GAME BOY ADVANCE

Metroid Fusion (2002)

GAMECUBE

Metroid Prime (2002)

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (2004)

Note: If you can find a way to put that footer into the main paragraph, go for it. I got writer's block.

On the topic of game manuals, niether of the Prime games had anything of worth. This site should prove useful though.

Moevember 6 edit-

Removed from third paragraph: 'Only one Metroid survived, seeing Samus as its mother and helping the player escape SR-388.'

Changed fourth paragraph to avoid Metroid II spoilers, original state follows: 'In the Game Boy Advance title Metroid Fusion, the crusade against the Metroid species turned out to be a big mistake, upsetting the food chain on SR-388 and allowing the X Parasite (the Metroid’s natural prey) to multiply rapidly. Upon returning to the planet to help a group of scientists, Samus was infected by the parasite and only survived by a vaccine of Metroid DNA used on her. Using this DNA Samus was able to combat the X Parasite.'

Shortening of last paragraph, avoiding Prime spoilers: 'Other variations of Metroids have appeared, most notably in the Prime series, where the Space Pirates used them as test subjects to the radioactive substance Phazon. The effect to the creatures was extreme growth and mutation, such as the Hunter Metroid. Metroid Prime, of which the game was named after and the final boss, became so dependent on Phazon it became a twisted version of its former self, effectively killing off the Chozo on planet Tallon IV and poisoning the ecosystem.'

Geno

NINTENDO/SQUARESOFT

ocr4_mascot79.jpg

Somewhere in video game limbo, the characters that debuted in Super Mario RPG live a rather boring life, copyrights and red tape preventing them from doing much else. Geno is one of them- the fruits of labor from a collaboration between Nintendo and Squaresoft. At odds with many other characters from the Mario franchise, he is presented to be of a greater being.

Geno hails from the Star Road, a parallel to Heaven in the Mushroom Kingdom. His mission is simple- to help Mario and company gain the seven star pieces smashed apart by the giant sword Exor. Upon arriving Geno explains much backstory to the group, informing them of Star Road ceasing to grant wishes and the enemy they must defeat, Smithy. In the party he acts as a wise figure, one with great knowledge of their quest. As an agent of Star Road and a star spirit, Geno takes on the form of a doll from a Toad in the game. His true name is actually of a different language, but condenses it for the benefit of Mario’s friends and the player.

In battles, Geno is the dominating magic user, bringing down beams of light upon his enemies. He is also capable of physical attacks involving shooting bullets from his arms, presumably creating them with his power, and boosting the power of him and the team.

It is apparent Geno has his own mission in the game, shouldering a great deal of responsibility to succeed in their quest. From his words, “I serve a higher authority”, his role in the game is made important. After defeating the enemy at the end of their mission, Geno’s character lay dormant for years, due to Square’s affinity with the Sony Playstation. Only recently has he turned up for a cameo in Alpha Dream’s Mario and Luigi, given permission from now Square- Enix.

Quote: "I serve... a higher authority..."

Source:

Geno Wikipedia Page

Super Mario RPG Manual

Game Hiker Biography

SMBHQ Biography

Games Geno has appeared in:

SNES

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (1996)

GAME BOY ADVANCE

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (2003)

November 6 edit- reworded the final paragraph in order to omit the ending. The original paragraph is as follows:

'It is apparent Geno has his own mission in the game, shouldering a great deal of responsibility to succeed in their quest. From his words, “I serve a higher authority”, his role in the game is made important. After defeating Exor and Smithy at the end of their mission, Geno returns to his place of origin, his work done. Due to Square’s affinity with the Sony Playstation, Super Mario RPG and therefore Geno lay dormant for years, only recently turning up as a cameo in Alpha Dream’s Mario and Luigi, given permission from now Square- Enix.'