OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

I plan to do the other Samus mascot after this as a sort of double bio. This one focuses on the pre Prime era.

Samus Aran

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot13.jpg

This article is one of two Samus biographies. For more information, consult the Samus Aran (Prime) bio.

Samus Aran and the Metroid series of games remain a black sheep in the Nintendo family, though not because of quality- the franchise in many ways is the opposite of what many people associate with the company. Ominous terrain to traverse, surpisingly deep and immersive storylines, and a feminine hero which fails to conform to video game stereotypes. Bounty Hunter Samus was never truly revealed to the player, who assumed their gender was male, until the end of the game- her impact as a character first and a female second.

Going against the princess in distress role, Samus Aran appeared first appeared in Metroid for the NES, headed up by Gunpei Yokoi (who would go on to create the original Game Boy). Here Samus accepted the job to eliminate a stolen batch of Metroids, dangerous parasites, from the Galactic Federation’s enemy the Space Pirates. The Metroid creature posed a threat to the peace of the galaxy, being bred as an army for the Pirates’ leader, Mother Brain. The game is remembered as a non linear experience, at odds with the beat em ups of the day. Vertical scrolling helped create a more intricate design to the caverns of Zebes, the planet on which the game was set. The sequel, Return of Samus, told of the Bounty Hunter’s mission to eradicate the Metroid species on their home planet, SR-388.

Aran returned on the Super Nintendo in 1994, taking advantage of the increased power of the medium. Using the 24- megabit cartridge, the largest at the time, Nintendo created a vast, expansive world set back on Zebes. Samus starts her mission with the intent on rescuing a stolen Metroid research subject, the last of the species. Former antagonist Ridley, from the original game, used the subject with intentions to resurrect the Space Pirate army and ultimately Mother Brain.

While some see the series as a mild diversion to the platformers of the day, the intimacy with Samus as a character helped the games become a more immersive and memorable experience. For a character with little backstory and no dialogue, the lone hunter traversing desolate, alien landscapes cemented her role in video game history.

Source:

Samus Aran Wikipedia Page

Super Metroid Wikipedia Page

Super Metroid Manual

Hyper Magazine #119- The Real Girl Gamers

Games Samus has appeared in:

NES

Metroid (1986)

GAME BOY

Metroid II: Return of Samus (1992)

Metroid Fusion (2002)

Metroid: Zero Mission (2004)

SNES

Super Metroid (1994)

NINTENDO 64

Super Smash Bros (1999)

GAMECUBE

Super Smash Bros Melee (2001)

Metroid Prime (2002)

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (2004)

I can give you the list of what's been done..

Hiryu (Mascot #3) - Psychotic Ninja

Megaman (Mascot #6) - GNU1516

Leon Belmont (Mascot #7) - Psychotic Ninja

Sonic the Hedgehog (Mascot #8) - Rexy

Alex Kidd (Mascot #9) - watkinzez

Samus Aran (Mascot #13) - watkinzez

Ness (Mascot #14) - watkinzez

Donkey Kong (Mascot #15) - watkinzez

Cammy White (Mascot #17) - Psychotic Ninja

Bowser (Mascot #25) - watkinzez

Vivi Ornitier (Mascot #26) - OmegaMe

Toad (Mascot #39) - Linearity

Samus Aran (Prime) (Mascot #40) - watkinzez

Fox McCloud (Mascot #42) - watkinzez

Joanna Dark (Mascot #46) - watkinzez

Mega Man X (Mascot #47) - Psychotic Ninja

Earthworm Jim (Mascot #59) - Daethar

Diddy Kong (Mascot #60) - watkinzez

Doom Trooper (Mascot #71) - Dafydd

Geno (Mascot #79) - watkinzez

Vega/Balrog (Mascot #81) - Psychotic Ninja

M. Bison (Mascot #89) - Psychotic Ninja

Lemming (Mascot #95) - watkinzez

Captain Falcon (Mascot #100) - Dafydd

Viewtiful Joe (Mascot #112) - watkinzez

Metroid (Mascot #117) - watkinzez

Deku Link (Mascot #118) - Linearity

Saria (Mascot #125) - watkinzez

The Turks (Mascot #128) - OmegaMe

Sora (Mascot #129) - OmegaMe

Chocobo (Mascot #130) - Bummerdude

EDIT by Dafydd: lol, thanks a lot, Wz. :o I could add in here that

Captain Falcon (#100) - Dafydd

Bomberman (#127) - 1link~jing1.mp3

Megaman (#6) - GNU1516

are half-way done or unsatisfactory, so if you think you can write a better bio on those, post them here (name of character and bio ONLY) and I'll get my moderator's scissors and glue and adjust things.

This has been bugging me. It's been said earlier that these bios are not meant to be a Wikipedia mirror, and yet a majority of the source links are from Wikipedia. While I'm quite sure that Wikipedia is an excellent source of information (and that the info portrayed in this thread isn't a mirror), I would, personaly, like to see more "outside" links (even if it's a fansite for the game the character is in, and not a site for the character themselves).

Since I don't have any helpful information for most of what's been said, I'd like to post some very comprehensive links for the Mega Man (which can be used for Mega Man X, as well, I believe) bio.

http://www.mmhp.net/ This is a site I accidently stumbled onto, while looking for a different MM site. As such, I haven't really looked at it to deeply, but it looks good.

http://www.megaman-network.com/ This site is dripping with MM info of all kinds. Seriously, I think even Smoke could find helpful stuff here (though he very well may have written half the site, for all I know).

http://mmco.megaman-network.com/charbios/ Bios for all of the MM Classic characters (even those who were very un-important).

http://mmco.megaman-network.com/analyses/ In depth analyses of the MM Classic series as a whole. Oddly enough, there's actaully storyline to the original games, and not just "shoot anything that moves." (though that is what happens, of course, the analyses is cool because it tells what goes on in the background, how things develop, and even illustrates how Dr. Wily changes, and improves, his methods of attack and disguise)

Though I haven't written a bio, I'd be very disapointed if the megaman-network links weren't included, as they certainly contain any and all info MM related.

Sorry I can't help more, but maybe I'll rewrite/add to the MM bio later. Anyway, take a look at those links. I think they're quite amazing.

Oh, last thing. MM has appeared on every system made by Nintendo. MM 1-6 for the NES, the GB games (listed already), the SNES games (listed already) and the MOST IMPORTANT ones, the Megaman Legends series! Megamam Legends 1 & 2 were on the PSX. Megaman Legends 1 was ported to the N64 as Megaman 64. Also, MM made it to the Gamecube in the Anniversiary Col. (though I don't know if that counts). As for Mega Man X, it should be noted that MMX 1-3 were on the SNES, and MMX 3-6 were on the PSX (yes, Mega Man X 3 was on both the PSX and the SNES. I have them both, if you want proof), with MMX 7 & 8 on the PS2. Also, the MMX Col. is coming out soon, and will be out on the PS2 as well as the Gamecube. Another MMX game on the Gamecube was MMX: Command Mission, which was the first RPG starring MM (though the MM Legends series had a lot of RPG elements, they're not really RPGs).

And, don't forget the PC versions of MM games. There were a few MMX games that made it to the PC, and Megaman Legends 1 made it to the PC as well (I think there were others, but I'm not sure). Yes, I do realize that every game starring Megaman can't be listed in the bio (he might actaully beat out Mario...), but if the comment "mega man has had at least one game on all but one of the nintendo consoles." is going to be made, I'd like to to be truthful (which, that comment isn't true, since there has been a Mega Man game on every single one of Nintendo's consoles (unless you count Mega Man Legends as a separate character/bio)).

Anyway, there's my contribution to this project (for now). Hopefully, it can be of use for the final product.

[EDIT] In case you're wondering, the Megaman-Network site also lits all of its sources. The link for that info is http://mmco.megaman-network.com/resources/ Again, hopefully this can be useful to you. Mouser X out.

[EDIT2] Mascot 54 (Dr. Wily) has a full name of "Dr. Albert W. Wily" Please see Megman-Network for more details (that's where I found his name).

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm aware of the wikipedia problem, and I've been trying to find alternate sources for some of the bios, but usually to no avail. Not all characters have the same abundance of fansites as does Mega Man... The best solution would be to use game manuals, but they're hard to come by, especially if you're a rom gamer... :?

You seem more than capable of writing a Mega Man bio. The info you provided just now is appreciated, and relevant for the sake of correction, but the level of detail in the bio will have to stay lower, but I'm sure you're aware of this already. Another problem with these bios is that eventually, the information in them will become obsolete. That's why I've been trying to avoid phrases like "Mega Man has had one game on every nintendo console but one", because it's likely to change sooner or later, and once this project is finished, I would hope not to have to maintain it by updating the bios every so often, but by adding games to the appearances list, period.

However, the fact that Mega Man (or variations, such as Battle Network, which I don't count as the same character either) has appeared on every nintendo console is important for emphasizing the impact that this character has had on the gaming world. How we're going to forge this information into the bio without writing something that will be invalid in a few years, I don't know. When the bios are all written, we will begin editing them to fit the guidelines we've come up with until then, and then standardize, format and so on. Once this is done I don't want to have to edit the actual bio texts again, unless someone finds invalid information within them.

Bios need not mention or describe every single game a character has appeared or starred in. They should have an "open ending", not by allowing for further content, but by not seeming like they're trying to stay up to date. They're an introduction to the character, not an encyclopedia on them. Bios should be written in a way that they can be read in a few years and still not contain invalid information. I should write this on the first page as well.

Mouser X, I know what you mean. Wikipedia can be a bit plain as it were, so I'm trying to use a wider range of sources (but in some cases with obscure characters, you can have little choice). You can also get stuck when trying to write in a style different to the Wiki, and not just repeating word for word. I probably do that as well (please, if anyone thinks they get a little too close, say so!)

Samus Aran (Prime)

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot40.jpg

This article is one of two Samus biographies. For more information, consult the Samus Aran bio.

“But among the stars, there is one light that burns brighter than all others. The light of Samus Aran. Her battles extend beyond her life, and etch themselves into history.”

So says the prologue to Metroid Prime (PAL release), Samus’ first ever foray into the third dimension. The determination and strength of the bounty hunter has allowed her to overcome many obstacles in her epic missions. Samus had rarely been seen since her appearance in Super Metroid eight years before; only popping up in the Nintendo 64’s Super Smash Bros as a projectile and air based fighter. Rookie development house Retro Studios was trusted with the task of breathing life into the Metroid franchise and the character of Samus, and did so soundly. Set immediately after the original Metroid, Samus chased the remains of the Space Pirate fleet to the dormant planet Tallon IV, poisoned by the radioactive substance Phazon. Far more backstory was present in this game, allowing the player to discover events as Samus and uncover more about her character. Her femininity was capitalized in cut scenes, though not in a sexual manner, to show her independence and strength.

The Prime side story was continued by Retro in 2004, through Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Using a system similar to Zelda on the SNES, Samus had to traverse through two parallel dimensions to help the Luminoth gain back their planet. Here an extension of Samus acted as the lead antagonist- Dark Samus, feeding off the Phazon rife throughout the planet Aether. In a move uncommon in the Metroid series, dialogue was present in this title, occurring between Samus and the Luminoth leader.

While returning in HAL’s Smash Bros sequel, the bounty hunter also saw a resurrection of her story on the Game Boy Advance, returning to 2D and the post SNES story in Metroid Fusion. The food chain on SR-388 upset, Samus was infected by a rapidly multiplying parasite on an expedition. Saved by the DNA of the last living Metroid, she proceeded to help destroy the parasite threat. Though remaining in the same formula as the Metroid games of old, Fusion presented a more linear experience for the player.

Source:

Samus Aran Wikipedia Page

Metroid Prime Wikipedia Page

Metroid Prime Manual

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Manual

Games Samus has appeared in:

NES

Metroid (1986)

GAME BOY

Metroid II: Return of Samus (1992)

Metroid Fusion (2002)

Metroid: Zero Mission (2004)

SNES

Super Metroid (1994)

NINTENDO 64

Super Smash Bros (1999)

GAMECUBE

Metroid Prime (2002)

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (2004)

I know that Zophar.net posted this in their news at one point, but I couldn't remember the site name. So, after a quick google search of Zophar.net, I bring you a few very useful links for manuals.

http://www.hqscansorg.org/ The original site. They don't host the manuals themselves, but do have torrents set up for them (or uesed to. I think they've stopped doing that now).

http://www.gamemanuals.net/ This is the REAL prize of the links. Over 5600 manuals online, based on what I saw (I didn't look very hard though). Click the "more" link in the lower right corner. You can of course use their search feature. It looks pretty good. Also, they have torrents set up, if anyone wants to try those out. One thing to keep in mind about this site though, is that the manuals are in PDF format (and a lot of them are very High Quality from what I've seen. MUCH larger than the vimmslair.com stuff. Of course, I haven't seen to many of them yet...). Just a heads up for you.

Hopefully, between gamemanuals.net and vimmslair.com a lot more info can be found and used. Good luck with this, and maybe now we can get those game manuals included in the source (perhaps even linked?). Mouser X over and out.

Yeah, linking the game manuals might be an idea... hm. Well, thanks for the additional info! I'll add the links to the first page.

I've been trying to update my Captain Falcon bio. It's better now, but it's still not cool. Btw, watkinzez, I've been having second thoughts about your Samus bio. I remember saying that Mega Man and Mega Man X should have their own separate bios... but that's because they are different characters. As for samus, isn't she really the same person in all of the games? Link is a reincarnated hero, but I'd still want him to have only one bio (which I think can wait) (except for the deku link, which needed a bio of its own for clarity's sake), and... well... I don't really see a reason to let Samus have two bios. She's changed design-wise, but the storyline of all the games are connected, arent't they? Even though the games haven't appeared in the correct order, storywise.

And in that case, we'd have to use both images in the same bio, and explain somewhere that the one image is from metroid prime and the other one from super metroid... Besides, it'd be silly to have different appearances lists for the two "versions" of Samus, and it'd be even sillier to have the same appearances list in both bios, because both "versions" can't exist in the same games. Meh. This post is messy.

What I'm trying to say is I think it'd be better to have only ONE Samus bio, one that explains

1. the fact that the games haven't appeared in the "correct" order and that missing chapters are being filled in with every new game

2. how all the games are connected,

3. why there are two images and which one originates from which game as well as

4. Samus' past etc.

All of this without revealing the entire storyline of the series.

In regards to the multiple Samus Bios, I agree that there should only be 1 (they're the same person, after all). I must add though, that I thought both bios were pretty good. I just have no idea how to combine them... Also, in regards to the pictures, couldn't some code (html or whatever) be added to the links so that when they click on a picture, it brings them to a generic template page (like what OCR does right now, for the most part), and fill that page with the relevent data pertaining to the link they clicked on? If you could do that, you wouldn't actaully need have both pictures in the bio, since it could load the picture according to the one they clicked on. Then, once inside the page, it would not only display the appropriate picture, but it could also display the appropriate info. Take Samus for example. Pic1 and Pic2 are different, but share almost all of the same data. So, you have some "data blocks (where/how the info is stored)." Probably 3 or so. 1 for the main body of text (as all of this should be relevent to both pictures), 1 for pic1, and 1 for pic2. That way, you meet the best of both worlds (IMO) because you have all the info, without having to worry about duplicating data or entries.

Of course, your idea would also work just as well (and would also probably be easier to write for). Anyway, that's sort of what I've been thinking of for this project. However, it should be noted that although I had that idea, there's no way I could code it. I wouldn't even have a clue as to where, or how, to start.

Anyway, yah, characters with multiple pictures (Samus, Mega Man X) should probably have only 1 bio, since they are the same person, after all (for the most part, I suppose). Mouser X over and out.

On the Samus bios, that's cool on combining them. I was experimenting mostly with the second bio, and it did turn out fairly thin. Unless you think there's any info in the Prime bio that needs transferring, just use the first one. I could try to splice them if you want me to..

The more well-known nintendo characters are the ones I'm the most concerned about. I'd like to see some kind of combination, but unless you really want to do it now, I think we can wait with that one for a while and just leave them as is for now. I need to sit down and read them both through thoroughly. :)

Mouser X, your coding proposal sounds pretty complicated. It'd seem like an easier solution would be to have 2 separate, near-identical bios for both pictures. I don't really understand why they put in more than one picture for any of the characters, anyway, but that's how it is.

Yea... It's been awhile... I wasn't in the mood...

And earlier you were asking about the official names of final fantasy games: they're all in roman numerals, like Final Fantasy IX, but to abbreviate, most people know all the games as FF9, with the number because it's shorter. I figured it was easy to follow, but however you want to do the names is fine. And FF10 is usually just FFX...

I was also curious whether we should include characters like this as listed in say, Kingdom Hearts? I don't really think we should, but he is in there and we do have remixes for the game so whatever.

----------------------

Tidus

Square-Enix

ocr4_mascot78.jpg

Character Summary:

Tidus, pronounced "Tee-dus", is the lead hero of Final Fantasy X, a uniquely ground-breaking game for being among the first completely 3D rpgs that was fully voice casted during all dialoge, and yet maintained the typical 50+ hours of gameplay. Tidus' name is taken from the Japanese "Tiida" meaning "Sun" which reflects his character throughout the game.

Final Fantasy X begins focused on Tidus, the cheery yet childish star Blitzball player in his futuristic hometown of Zanarkand, when the city gets attacked by a giant monster called "Sin", transporting him into the new, seemingly primitive world of Spira. Tidus' story revolves around his desire to return home to Zanarkand, and his involvement in Spira while attempting to return.

Final Fantasy X has sold millions of copies worldwide and has been considered by many to be one of the most successful PS2 games to date, thus it's the first final fantasy to spawn a direct sequel, Final Fantasy X-2, in which Tidus is not the main character, but the person the main characters search for throughout the game.

Sources:

Wikipedia - Tidus

Final Fantasy Shrine - FFX

Final Fantasy Insider - FFX

PS2Fantasy.com Article - Tidus

Gamemanuals.net - Final Fantasy X Manual.pdf

Appearances:

PLAYSTATION 2

Final Fantasy X (2001)

Final Fantasy X-2 (2003)

If it's supposed to be roman numerals when written short and arabic numerals when writing the full name, then do it that way. All I want is consistency :)

I was also curious whether we should include characters like this as listed in say, Kingdom Hearts? I don't really think we should, but he is in there and we do have remixes for the game so whatever.

I'm not really sure what you mean.

BTW, I'm going away for at least a week and a half (I need to see the sun before this darkness kills me), and during that time I won't be able to peek in here. Hopefully I'll be able to reply to any posts written Sunday before noon, but I can't promise anything, and then you're on your own. Hope you'll make do without me :) Good luck!

I'm not really sure what you mean.

Kingdom Hearts has A LOT of cameos from all the Final Fantasy games and disney characters. For instance, a young Tidus who you can fight with at the beginning of the game. I'm not sure it's necessary to list Kingdom Hearts as a game Tidus is in, particularly since Kingdom Hearts 2 is coming out in three months, and most likely will have a lot of the Final Fantasy characters again. Which means we'd have to go through a lot of effort just to add Kingdom Hearts under every Final Fantasy character. It's just gonna be a bunch of work changing things we've already written. In the same way we'll have to change Sora's bio once Kingdom Hearts 2 actually comes out. So I don't know what you want to do about these characters having information that changes a lot.

The original idea was to list every single little appearance for every character, but then came Mario and we realized we could never mention every game he's been in. Recently, I've been thinking about the fact that while the bios won't be updated every so often, the world will. Because of this fact, it's no use trying to list every appearance now, because it's likely to change anyway. I don't think this project will be finished in 3 months anyway, but...

If you want, you can mention the fact that he has an appearance in Kingdom Hearts, but not list it below. This depends on how important this appearance is, and how well-known the character is. With some characters, like Captain Falcon, I thought it necessary to mention a few appearances, because a lot of people don't know who he is, despite the fact that he's an important character in game history, or the game that he stars in is an important game in game history.

If you want to clarify that "this isn't just some random character, there's a reason he has his own mascot here" even though maybe there isn't :) Then you should mention somewhere that he, and a lot of other squaresoft characters have cameos in Kingdom Hearts, but if a lot of squaresoft characters DO cameo in Kingdom Hearts, it's gonna be a nag to mention that in every single bio, and we'd be better off mentioning it in Sora's bio instead. :) This is a difficult question, and I think we'll have to continue discussing it when I get back. Or you could try yourselves while I'm gone. Your opinions are important to me, even though I disagree with you sometimes.

Well, I managed to do one. This is what I got done for Batsu.

Batsu

Capcom

1997, 1998, 2001

ocr4_mascot134.jpg

Character Summary:

Batsu (Voiced by Nobuyuki Hiyama whom is famous for his role as Adult Link's voice in Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time along with several other characters in different Figthing Games) is the lead character of the Rival Schools games. His mother, whom worked at Taiyo High as a clerk was kidnapped when Justice High's students attacked Taiyo High. This was Batsu's motive for transferring to Taiyo High at the begining of the game's story.

In Project Justice (Moero! Justice Gakuen in Japan), Batsu's pride was shattered when he loses a fight and he runs off to soclusion. After several weeks of intense training in the mountians he hid in, he comes back to Taiyo High in time to save his friends from an assasin named Kurow.

Aside from his main roles in those games, Batsu (along with fellow classmate Hinata) also made an appearance in Capcom vs SNK 2 as back up for his classmate Kyosuke in his Super Move "Final Symphony Remix". Another notable appearance was in the card game by SNK, SNK vs Capcom: Card Battle.

Rival Schools and Project Justice has created a small fanbase in the U.S., which results in a comic book series by Udon (the same guys that make the Street Fighter and Darkstalkers comics) which should be released sometime in January 2006.

Sources:

Wikipedia - Rival Schools

Justice Network - Batsu Ichimonji

Rival Schools Network

Fighters Generation - Batsu's Profile/Gallery

Appearances:

PLAYSTATION

Rival Schools/Shiritsu Justice Gakuen: Legion of Heroes (1997)

Rival Schools Evolution 2/Shiritsu Justice Gakuen: Nekketsu Seisyun Nikki 2 (Japan Only)(1998)

DREAMCAST

Project Justice/Moero! Justice Gakuen (2001)

Capcom vs SNK 2 (2001)

NEOGEO POCKET

SNK vs Capcom Card Battle (2000?)

PLAYSTATION 2

Capcom vs SNK 2 (2001)

So, how'd I do? I tried to keep it simple.

EDIT: I fixed the sentences about Batsu's mother.

EDIT 2: Added another source.

Tira

NAMCO

ocr4_mascot132.jpg

Tira, a 17 year old girl with unknown origins. The secret behind her birth may be a secret of the organization of assassins who raised her, but perhaps even they do not know. Whatever the case, she was taken in as a child to a group of assassins called the “Birds of Passage”, and they worked to shape the history of Europe from behind the scenes. Tira became accustomed to killing, to the point where she needed murder just for the stimulation it provided her. Tira always stayed cheerful through her ghastly assignments, as if she enjoyed them, but this was simply a way to hide her true feelings.

The coming of Soul Edge back into the world cut her ties with these killers. The leader dead, Tira was set free from their influence, and was taken in by a normal family. Soon, events unfolded further, and she killed the kind people before she even knew what was happening. After this, she knew she needed a life of killing.

Tira, using her ring blade to leave bloody remains of those she came across, eventually met up with a massacre to rival her own: that of Nightmare, the set of armor possessed by the evil Soul Edge. Tira pledged loyalty to the sword, for in her mind she had found a kindred spirit to her own.

Tira comes into the fourth installment of the Soul Edge series, Soul Calibur III, at this point. Her motives are dark: to destroy the pure sword Soul Calibur, and to find a new host for the evil Soul Edge to inhabit so that it can once again be among the living. She uses a ring blade, named Aisel Nedrossel, and calls her discipline the “Dance of Death”. She is commonly seen in the company of ravens, whispered to be dark 'watchers' under the control of Soul Edge, a good example being the opening cinematic for the game.

Her scantily clad design is said by the developers to appeal to mid-level players, the play style supposedly being harder than Zasalamel, but not as complicated as Setsuka, the two other new members to the Soul Calibur cast. Masumi Asano is credited as the voice actor for the Japanese version of SCIII, but no documentation on her English counterpart at the moment. Her weapon, while very far-fetched in the mostly realistic score of SC weapons, adds a new twist to things, and is fun to watch.

Sources:

'Project Soul' Offical Site

Internet Movie Database – Soul Calibur III

Appearances:

Soul Calibur III (2005) – PS2

Well, I tried my hand at Link..

Link

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot1.jpg

Link is the recurring main character in Nintendo’s Legend of Zelda series, that is, there is no one single Link. Each hero of the games are from a line descended from the hero before them, possessing similar characteristics. Though the character can be named anything by the player at the start of the game, the manuals and other such booklets call him Link after the ‘link’ the player has between the hero of each game.

The original Zelda in 1986 gave little detail as to the characteristics of Link, though outlined the appearance of the hero that has been followed throughout the series- a green tunic, dark hair (though this has changed recently for blonde), and his choice in weaponry, usually a sword and shield but extending to arrows, bombs and other magical items. His quest to save his homeland of Hyrule was to find the shards of the mythical Triforce, overthrow the pig like tyrant Ganon, and save the Princess Zelda from capture.

Since the inception of the franchise, Link’s personality has often been one advocating courage and bravery. In several of the games, the hero obtains one of the parts of the Triforce, standing for courage. His age is always that of a young boy or man, backing up the theme of maturity that Shigeru Miyamoto, Zelda creator, has strived to present on screen. Like many other main characters in this style of games, Link rarely speaks, using facial expression to convey his feelings.

Apart from the main Zelda series, Link has starred in spin offs and even other forms of media. The Legend of Zelda TV series in the late 80s portrayed a Link quite at odds with that of the games, an outspoken teenager who helped save Hyrule to win Zelda’s favour. The line “Well excuse me, Princess!” has become an infamous part of the Zelda franchise. His appearance in Super Smash Bros and its sequel allowed the player to get the edge over their opponent with various projectiles from his arsenal of items.

Source:

Link Wikipedia Page

Games Link has appeared in:

NES

The Legend of Zelda (1986)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (1987)

GAME BOY

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (1993)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (2001)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (2001)

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (2004)

SNES

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991)

NINTENDO 64

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)

Super Smash Bros (1999)

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask (2000)

GAMECUBE

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003)

Soul Calibur II (2003)

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (2004)