OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

Barret Wallace

Square-Enix

ocr4_mascot21.jpg

A father and freedom fighter, Barret Wallace is perhaps the most boisterous character in Final Fantasy VII.

Barret was born in the mining town Corel, where Shinra, Inc. decided to build a Mako Reactor to the dismay of the villagers. This later led to a conflict between Barret and Shinra's troops in which Barret lost both his wife and his right arm.

By the time the game begins, Barret has moved to the metropolis of Midgar with his daughter Marlene and replaced his severed limb with a special machine gun. There he leads a resistance to Shinra called AVALANCHE. Upon hiring the mercenary Cloud Strife for a bombing mission, Barret secures his involvement in the game's enormous struggle.

Barret is large in both body and spirit. His temper is markedly short and his words are rarely subtle: he says plainly and loudly what he means whenever he feels inclined to say it. However, his caring for his daughter is just as energetic and straightforward, and his dedication to his comrades is as indomitable as his ire.

Appearances:

Final Fantasy VII (1997)

Sources:

Gamemanuals.net

- Final Fantasy VII manual

Final Fantasy Shrine's FF7 section

Final Fantasy VII Online

Wikipedia's Barret Wallace page

That mascot is a female dark elf from the MMORPG Lineage 2. While not so much a character on its own as a representative of the race, that particular image was used heavily in early advertisments and is in the instruction booklet of the first English release (it might not be currently, I bought the game when it came out.)

Thanks again. You'd think someone like Linearity would come up with this... (boring pun intended).

Only one mascot left to identify! :D

So, I see now that they're charging money for mixes. I'm having qualms about my free contribution to a site that is no longer providing its benefits for free.

I'm afraid that I must ask that none of my bios be included with the OCR Mascot Bio Project. I'm just not comfortable with it, and I am most certainly not DJP's fool who would work for nothing while he reaps huge profits.

Thanks to all of the fans of my writing for your support throughout these past months. I'm truly sorry that you will not have the privilege of seeing the splendor of my words incorporated into the glory that used to be the not-for-profit OC ReMix. I'm also sorry to Dafydd and the rest of the project for setting you back, and I will miss the opportunity to work with you.

Perhaps if DJP gets his act together and changes this subscription business I will consider returning to the project. However currently I must bid it adieu.

BTW, if you'd like to keep my bios on the forums for reference and inspiration (I'll admit how fantastic I am at writing), feel free to do so. Just keep it honest.

So, I see now that they're charging money for mixes. I'm having qualms about my free contribution to a site that is no longer providing its benefits for free.

I'm afraid that I must ask that none of my bios be included with the OCR Mascot Bio Project. I'm just not comfortable with it, and I am most certainly not DJP's fool who would work for nothing while he reaps huge profits.

Thanks to all of the fans of my writing for your support throughout these past months. I'm truly sorry that you will not have the privilege of seeing the splendor of my words incorporated into the glory that used to be the not-for-profit OC ReMix. I'm also sorry to Dafydd and the rest of the project for setting you back, and I will miss the opportunity to work with you.

Perhaps if DJP gets his act together and changes this subscription business I will consider returning to the project. However currently I must bid it adieu.

BTW, if you'd like to keep my bios on the forums for reference and inspiration (I'll admit how fantastic I am at writing), feel free to do so. Just keep it honest.

You didn't get the memo? I'm getting royalties, man.

Oh, just checked my PMs. Man, they're really serious about this stuff. But hey, if DJP's gonna send me money through my (cha-ching) personal Verisign account, fuck all that stuff I prattled on about up there: money for Lin for the WIN!

Okay, I'm back on the project everybody. 8)

Lol. I'm glad I wasn't here yesterday, I guess... :) If he did start charging money for downloading mixes, I'd quit the project in a heart-beat and never come back.

Polo - thanks for wrapping things up. The mascots are now all identified, thanks to people like you :) And thanks for your authenticity proof, though it wasn't really necessary. :-D I have a really tough exam this Friday, so don't except me to post my promised bios until maybe next week. Meanwhile, keep posting your own, if you have any.

I've tried to keep out anything that's not in the first hour or so of the game. So for Terra's bio I said that she is the first to use magic in a long time but I omitted that she's half-Esper.

A consistent rule wouldn't hurt, though.

EDIT: My Frog bio reveals way, way more than my Terra bio, I just realized. I too would like to know our policy on spoilers.

Well... this is one reason why I don't write a lot of bios. I haven't played most of the games that the mascots are in. In general, I suggest we avoid revealing stuff about a character that's supposed to be found out during gameplay (i.e. Spoilers). Samus, I think, was believed by many to be male, at first, and the truth about her gender was only revealed once the original Metroid game had actually been beaten. Ever since, however, she's been presented as female, and revealing her being female is no longer a spoiler. Doh. So what about the other characters? The other extreme would be, for example, revealing [character X's] death at the end of the second game. Right?

Remember, the bios are intended to be read by people who know nothing or very little about the character, so there's no reason to reveal anything but the basics, the fun facts and so on. If spoilers can be avoided without causing confusion or untruths, then... yeah.

Sometimes, though, as in Samus' case, a character turns out to be something else than they were initially thought to be. To anyone who hasn't seen the first 3 episodes of Star Wars, Darth Vader being Luke's dad is a real spoiler. I know people who didn't realise this even when seeing all 6 movies in order.

I need your opinions on this one.

I think I'll remove the part about Frog being Glenn. If we know enough about a character to spoil it for others, we probably know enough about what we would and would not want spoiled by an OCR Bio.

Now, I'm still on Disc 1 of FF7, and I know Aeris is going to die. I'm annoyed, but as Gabe of Penny Arcade said, "there's a statute of limitations on this shit, man." Same with Samus Aran being a woman. Game's pushing twenty years old; it's okay to reveal some stuff.

So I guess my take is use the Golden Rule.

My god, you're right. Metroid is almost as old as I am. And if I'm pushing 20, then so is the game. Amazing how people are still playing it though. I mean, will anyone play the games of today in 20 years? :-D

Anyway, while removing spoilers from existing bios can wait until we're approaching project completion, it's something to consider when writing new bios. I shall add spoiler policies to the first post as soon as we've agreed on what our policies are.

Well, I'd leave most spoilers to common sense, but there's definitely some mascots up there that'd be hard to write for, most notably this one:

ocr4_mascot28.jpg

Wind Waker is a recent game, and to delve into this character would be spoiling quite a bit. Really the picture shouldn't be up there (the art style gives it away being from The Wind Waker, and people put two and two together..)

I dunno, would you just link to this one?

Princess Zelda

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot94.jpg

An oft made mistake made by newcomers of the Zelda series figure that the game’s protagonist, Link, is in fact named Zelda. Nonetheless, the series is in fact named after the damsel in distress present. Princess Zelda is the one who holds the Triforce of Wisdom in the original NES game, an object of divine powers. When Ganon, King of Evil, claims the realm of Hyrule as his land, Zelda shattered the Triforce into eight pieces to prevent it falling into the wrong hands. Before she was taken by Ganon she commanded her nursemaid Impa to find a hero of the land, and save Hyrule.

Zelda is of a pure heart, her descendents guarding the Triforce from evil. Her abilities are often presented as magical, gifted with the power of foresight throughout her line. Unlike her equivalent character in the Mario series, Princess Peach, Zelda is seen to be of strong will, and an important character towards saving Hyrule numerous times. Her role in Ocarina of Time saw her precognition in unveiling Ganondorf as a threat to Hyrule, sending off Link on his quest.

Throughout the games there is more than one Zelda and Link, each forming a separate line whose offspring play their role to protect Hyrule. As such, there are many conflicting stories on the relationship between the two. Though some romantic tension has been shown in the series, most of the interaction has been implied and often comes to nothing.

The Princess has never been a playable character in the main series, but makes an appearance in Super Smash Bros Melee along with her alter ego Sheik.

Quote: "Ganondorf; pitiful man. Without a strong righteous mind, he could not control the power of the gods."

Source:

Princess Zelda Wikipedia Page

Zelda Universe Encyclopedia

Games Princess Zelda has appeared in:

NES

The Legend of Zelda (1987)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (1988)

SNES

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1992)

NINTENDO 64

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask (2000)

GAME BOY

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (2001)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (2001)

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (2004)

GAMECUBE

Super Smash Bros Melee (2001)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003)

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (2004)

Related links:

http://www.legendofzelda.com/

Mario (Kart)

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot64.jpg

For more information, consult the Mario bio.

Mario has starred in his own kart racing series since 1992, and has since been continued as a strong venture of the Mario franchise. Taking a spin off of racing games of the past, the Mario Kart games discards the need for realism and adds a party atmosphere in the form of items on the course. Classic Mario items such as shells and bananas can be used to gain the lead off the player’s opponent. Though Mario stars in the series, characters are drawn from various Nintendo franchises.

In the game, Mario acts as an all rounder character, with average speed, acceleration and weight. Preferring tarmac to the beaten track, his home courses usually involve a standard racing ground with various sights from the Mushroom Kingdom, his home. In Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, his unique item was a fireball that knocked out anyone immediately in front of him.

Quote: "Welcome to Mario Kart!"

Source:

Mario Kart Wikipedia Page

Super Mario Kart Manual

Mario Kart 64 Manual

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Manual

Games Mario has appeared in:

SNES

Super Mario Kart (1992)

NINTENDO 64

Mario Kart 64 (1996)

GAME BOY

Mario Kart Super Circuit (2001)

GAMECUBE

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (2003)

NINTENDO DS

Mario Kart DS (2005)

Yoshi

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot77.jpg

While Yoshi may be a dinosaur, his affectionate nature makes him one that is harmless to his friend Mario, yet a formidable foe to the grunts of Bowser’s army. His name loosely translating to ‘happy’, Yoshi was introduced to the Mario franchise in Super Mario World, where he helped rid his island home of Bowser’s Koopa invasion. Once found Mario could ride Yoshi through levels with increased speed, able to eat enemies and spit them back out with the dinosaur’s long tongue. Smaller foes could be swallowed with ease; others allowed Yoshi to spit out fireballs to get the edge on the situation.

Though still within the canon of the Mario series, Yoshi has starred in his own games, of varying genre. Revealing that there is more than one of the dinosaurs, the platformer sequel Yoshi’s Island allowed the player to take complete control of a Yoshi clan as they attempted to reunite the then infant Mario Bros. Taking full advantage of Yoshi’s abilities, eggs laid after eating enemies could be used as projectiles against the enemy, not to mention useful in many puzzles throughout the game. This game, along with its semi sequel Yoshi’s Story expanded the universe that the Yoshies live in, shown in parallel with characters such as Baby Bowser, a small dog named Poochy, and others. Puzzlers such as Yoshi’s Cookie and Tetris Attack used the Yoshi character during this period.

Yoshi has become one of the standard characters to include in various Mario spin offs, the Super Smash Bros series demonstrating his abilities most effectively. Throwing projectiles and becoming an egg to spin across the stage makes Yoshi a decently formidable fighter.

The above picture of Yoshi depicts his appearance in the racing game Mario Kart 64.

Source:

Yoshi Wikipedia Page

The History of Yoshi

Super Mario World Manual

Games that Yoshi has appeared in:

SNES

Super Mario World (1990)

Super Mario Kart (1992)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (1995)

Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars (1996)

Tetris Attack (1996)

GAME BOY

Yoshi (1992)

Yoshi’s Cookie (1993)

NINTENDO 64

Mario Kart 64 (1996)

Yoshi’s Story (1998)

Mario Party (1998)

Super Smash Bros (1999)

Mario Golf (1999)

Mario Tennis (2000)

GAMECUBE

Super Smash Bros Melee (2001)

Super Mario Sunshine (2002)

NINTENDO DS

Super Mario 64 DS (2004)

Yoshi Touch & Go (2005)

Related links:

http://yoshilore.com/

Is the plural Yoshis or Yoshies?

EDIT BY DAFYDD: Beats me.

Really the picture shouldn't be up there (the art style gives it away being from The Wind Waker, and people put two and two together..)

Well, it is The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker...

Nice bios.

But there have been games in the series that didn't include Zelda (Link's Awakening, and a small cameo in Majora's Mask). Thanks. :D