OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

Lord Raptor, V2...

ocr4_mascot55.jpg

Lord Raptor

Capcom

-Story-

Born in 1889, the Australian Lord Raptor was what one would call, less than friendly while he was alive. But his murderous life comes in handy later , as it enables him to lead a similarly deadly afterlife. Capturing the attention of Ozomu, one of the Demon Kings of Makai (the Devil World), Lord Raptor is resurrected some twenty years after his death by said Demon King. However, this gift comes at a price, for Raptor must serve Ozomu and rid Makai of Darkstalkers. Before eventually setting out, Raptor gains a couple of things. The first is a new found love for metal music, which he not only listens to, but also plays. The second, is a small blob of a sidekick named Le Malta that at times mimics, and cheers, for him. But thrashing out tunes must wait until they've fulfilled Ozomu's command.

In his battles, Lord Raptor uses his new powers to make his zombie flesh stretch and twist into unnatural appendages. Not content with simply punching and kicking, he morphs his arms, legs and even his torso into deadly weapons of flesh and bone. Long blades, rotating saws, gaping maws... they all tear into his opponents. But just as these flesh-bound weapons help serve him, so does he serve Ozomu... but for how long?

-Quote-

"What? Go to hell!? I just came back from there!!"

-Games-

DarkStalkers: The Night Warriors / Vampire (arcade 1994, Playstation 1996)

Night Warriors: Darkstalker's Revenge / Vampire Hunter (arcade 1995, Saturn 1996)

Vampire Hunter 2 (Japan arcade only 1997)

Vampire Savior: Jedah's Damnation / Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire (arcade 1997)

Vampire Savior 2 (Japan arcade 1997, Playstation as Darkstalkers 3 1998 , Saturn as Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire 1998)

-Sources-

GameFan Books "Night Warriors" guide

Night Warriors game manual (Saturn)

Night Warriors ending

Dafydd- I know you said you had a few problems with v2 of Morrigan's bio, so I did a little rewriting in spots. Here's Morrigan, v3...

ocr4_mascot37.jpg

Morrigan

Capcom

-Story-

Born somewhere in Scotland in 1678, Morrigan Aenslaed takes her name from an ancient queen of that country. A curvaceous and voluptuous green haired succubus, she's the daughter of Berial, a Demon King who's the ruler of Makai (the “Demon World”). Though she is to be the next ruler of Makai in the event of Berial's death, Morrigan has been living a carefree and fun-filled life, and sees no reason to change this by becoming the master of the Aenslaed Family. And so, it's no surprise that when Berial does pass on, the throne remains empty, and the Aenslaed Family is left masterless. After all, taking up the throne means an end to her frivolity, and that's something she's not ready to give up just yet.

Unlike the other Darkstalkers, Morrigan has no agenda or quest. She fights merely out to stave off boredom by going toe-to-toe with the other creatures of the night. In her fights, Morrigan uses her dark powers to assault her opponents with energy and her body. She also uses the actual bats that make up parts of her revealing outfit, by making them form various deadly shapes like drills and blades. All these, coupled with her suggestive attire and mannerisms, add up to a powerful fighter.

But while she doesn't have much in the way of plans, could there be others who have plans for her?

-Quote-

"You're energetic as ever, just don't be in such a rush."

-Games-

Night Warriors: Darkstalker's Revenge / Vampire Hunter (arcade 1995, Saturn 1996)

Vampire Savior: Jedah's Damnation / Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire (arcade 1997)

Vampire Savior 2 (Japan arcade 1997, Playstation as Darkstalkers 3 1998 , Saturn as Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire 1998)

-Sources-

Night Warriors ending

Orta

SEGA

ocr4_mascot73.jpg

Ten years after the events of Panzer Dragoon Saga, mysterious girl Orta sits in a tower guarded by a fear known only as the Seekers. Her mind is a blank page, knowing nothing of her past, her origins, her parents- a supposed threat to the society around her. She is unknowing to the events of which are happening outside her small prison- the mighty Empire, bent on a worldwide ruling, have risen once again. They have gained new weapons, Dragonmares, bio-engineered creatures rendering the force unstoppable. It is with blissful ignorance Orta holds as these war machines approach the town she resides in, destroying anything in their path.

The young girl with pure white hair clutches the bars of her open window. The valley is engulfed in flames, a lethal attack on the seekers by their old enemies of the Empire. With little difficulty the Dragonmares swoop down to tear away the walls of the tower of which Orta survives. They are looking for something. Looking for her.

..When an enormous winged shape descends from the sky. A dragon! Such creatures were presumed long gone, disappeared with the previous battles in order to stop the Empire from achieving dominance. Orta is rescued by the beast, to which she doesn’t know why or how. She is frightened, confused, as her and the dragon desperately flee from the furious pursuit of the Imperial Army. She does not know her importance, or why the Empire desires the capture of her. It is the beginning of an epic journey of which she will find her purpose, her destiny.

What fate awaits the two? Who awaits them at their journey’s end?

Quote: “They were all afraid of me… They said that I was the harbinger of destruction…”

Source:

Panzer Dragoon Orta Manual

Panzer Dragoon Legacy- Story Synopsis

Panzer Dragoon Legacy- Orta Bio

Panzer Dragoon Orta Wikipedia Page

Games Orta has appeared in:

XBOX

Panzer Dragoon Orta (2003)

The first page is now once again up to date.

My long absence has apparently left me an impressive number of bios to comment on. Where to begin... hell, I'll comment on each post in order instead.

Mascot 107 - Naked Snake/Big Boss

While DeathbySpoon's bio was a little too short, hobo's version was the epitome of spoiler, and a rather factual, confusing and unengaging one at that. I'm not familiar with the series, so I really have little else to say about it. The second of hobo's versions is much better, but it's still full of spoilers. Limit the storyline's timespan to a point early in the first MGS and leave out stuff that the player isn't supposed to have found out until then.

...randomly sarcastic lone wolf who can't even dance.

Lol! Pun or not?

A play on Squall's awkward dance steps with Rinoa at the SeeD graduation ceremony. At one point Squall turns on his heel, acting all fed up, and Rinoa drags him back. He even bumps into other dancers, much to their annoyance and his chagrin. Classic.

Ah. I was thinking of "Dances with wolves". Heh.

Watkinzez - excellent work with Luigi and Peach. I love the sarcasm that both of these characters deserve to be described with. I think you should mention Peach's role in Super Mario Bros 2, however. In the actual bio, I mean, not only in the appearance list. Also, excellent solution in the ending of Chrono's bio.

I have to say, Polo, that your bios are excellently written. Glad you're on the project.

QFE, as they say around here. What's that in your sig image, btw, watkinzez?

Coop - good work! I've made very minor changes to the last ones you've posted. About the Morrigan bio - I still want the question that pops into my head ("why does she fight?") to be answered before it pops up, so I've changed the sentence order again. Thanks to the changes you've made, it now has much more fluency than last time. I think it's good enough now. Bring it on and post your next bio. :)

On a final note, I feel honored to have been given so much of your time. The project is now well beyond two thirds complete, not counting any formatting that I hope we will be able to do in August, provided all of the bios are finished by then. At this rate, I dare say they will be.

My summer isn't going to be as frivolous as I would have hoped - I've signed up for a summer course that I thought would be a piece of cake - but not so. I have to learn to recognize 350 species of animals - 125 of which are birds and 100 are fish - and the exam is before the end of this month. I'll try to avoid being away for as extended periods of time as I have recently, though.

I'm thinking about writing a few bios (namely on the Metal Slug and Toyota Supra) but I'm curious about one thing: Should the bios focus more on the vehicles themselves, or the particular games that they came from? The Metal Slug shouldn't be too difficult, but I'm more concerned if I need to focus specifically on the Need For Speed Underground incarnation of the Supra, or if I should just write a general bio on it and include the notable games the car has appeared in.

What's that in your sig image, btw, watkinzez?

That's Morty, from Gizmos and Gadgets, a really cool edutainment game (oxymoron?). Search for the 'June is End Boss Month' thread in Unmod and you'll understand.

I'm thinking about writing a few bios (namely on the Metal Slug and Toyota Supra) but I'm curious about one thing: Should the bios focus more on the vehicles themselves, or the particular games that they came from? The Metal Slug shouldn't be too difficult, but I'm more concerned if I need to focus specifically on the Need For Speed Underground incarnation of the Supra, or if I should just write a general bio on it and include the notable games the car has appeared in.

I think if the character of which you are writing the bio is the protagonist/mascot of their series, then some backstory of the franchise's history should be given. So for Metal Slug, its backstory within the game, how it attacks etc, and then how the Metal Slug series has impacted on gaming as a whole and how it is remembered. Different to a mascot such as, say, Lucca.

And the Toyota? That one's really a black sheep, but I was considering taking an approach similar to Polo's Marvel bios on this page. That is, not identify them as a game character and more where they originated from. So, the latter of your suggestions for the Toyota (but I don't think there's any need to go searching for its appearance in any other games besides the NSF franchise).

Way to progress, Dafydd! May your summer course give you as little trouble as possible. I do think we'll manage to get the rest of the bios finished by August.

----------

Mai Shiranui

SNK

ocr4_mascot105.jpg

Bio

In many ways, Mai Shiranui is like a dual-edged knife. The cleavage-heavy femme fatale is as stealthy as her bosom is bouncy, as devoted to her grandfather Hanzo's Ninjitsu school as she is wild outside of it. Her fans, her legs, and even her hairpin serve as both show-off accessories and deadly weapons. Even her pyrotechnic-fueled, Dragon-named special moves burn like her body. She allows no boys to get close to her - except Andy Bogard.

When the buff, blond hunk first comes to Japan to train under Hanzo, the spoiled girl throws herself at him, dubbing him her fiancé. Because he and his brother Terry plan to settle a vendetta back in Southtown, U.S.A., Andy pushes her away, treating her like a little sister. Mai pouts, but continues to train. Once the King of Fighters tournament starts accepting challengers, Mai willingly enters, seeking Andy's affections - and having as much fun as possible along the way.

Quote: "Another blow for ninja ladyhood has been struck today. Banzai!"

Selected Game Appearances

NEO-GEO

Fatal Fury 2 (1992)

The King of Fighters '96 (1996)

The King of Fighters '98 (1998)

The King of Fighters 2000 (2000)

NEO-GEO POCKET COLOR

SNK Gals' Fighters (2000)

DREAMCAST

Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000 (2000)

References

Wikipedia - Mai Shiranui

The King of Fighters 10th Anniversary Official Web Site - Mai Shiranui

Fighters Generation - Mai Shiranui

----------

Now I'll see what I can do with Dracula (#61).

...I'm more concerned if I need to focus specifically on the Need For Speed Underground incarnation of the Supra

I agree with watkinzez here.

..., or if I should just write a general bio on it and include the notable games the car has appeared in.

Yes. That's what I had in mind, anyway. I think some research could be done as to what games the car has been in, though. There's more than just NSF and Gran turismo, I'm sure. If the car has played a significant part in a movie, you could mention that as well. This is the only one of the mascots that exists in real life, and it's the only one that's not "alive". How ironic.

I-No

Sammy

ocr4_mascot57.jpg

I-No is a cryptic woman who, in Guilty Gear XX, claims to serve "that man" who created the biological weapons called Gears. She seeks to eliminate obstructions to that man's designs. Seeing the other characters as such obstructions, she deceives them and turns them against each other. She is a talented electric guitarist, and she uses her guitar as a weapon.

At any given time, I-No is either flagrantly voluptuous or mercilessly aggressive. In the former, she speaks in a sultry tone and dresses in a provocative outfit. In the latter, she is an admitted sadist and laughs at others' suffering.

In battle, I-No capitalizes on aerial attacks. Many of her special techniques begin in the air, and she rises off of the ground when dashing. She is the final boss of the Guilty Gear XX arcade mode.

Quote: "Cover songs are nice, but nothing beats the original."

Appearances:

Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival (2002)

Guilty Gear Isuka (2004)

Sources:

Guilty Gear XX instruction manual

Wikipedia's article on I-No

Other interesting links

Hardcore Gaming 101: Guilty Gear

Official Guilty Gear Home Page

Claire Redfield

Capcom

ocr4_mascot91.jpg

Character Summary

Claire Redfield is the sister of Chris Redfield (a main character in the original Resident Evil, known as Biohazard in Japan) and is one of two selectable characters in the sequel, Resident Evil 2. The above is official Capcom artwork for Claire's design in Resident Evil 2 which is altered slightly in the later released Resident Evil: Code Veronica, although Alyson Court remained her voice actor.

Her character is described as adventurous and having an interest in motorcycles, which is evidenced in Resident Evil 2's introduction as she rides one speedily into Raccoon City. This was her videogames debut, and the reason for her visit was to look for her brother. However, the small american town had been infected with the T-Virus and instead of finding Chris, she finds a zombie lunging towards her instead. Luckily, she is saved by rookie cop Leon Kennedy, who she forms an alliance with, however their partnership is soon broken when a tanker explosion separates them. This is where the game begins and the truth begins to unravel.

Having survived the events of Resident Evil 2, Claire then makes it her mission to take on the evil Umbrella corporation who are responsible for the outbreak. At the beginning of Code:Veronica, she breaks into their Paris Laboratory, however, she gets outgunned and captured. She is taken to Rockfort Island and held in a prison cell, yet when the island is mysteriously attacked, her captor allows her freedom and she finds another nightmare to contend with.

Claire is a very strong willed character, yet she is also the only character with no formal training to help her deal with these horrors (the other main characters have been Special Tactics And Rescue Service agents, police and mercenaries.) Although initially shocked, Claire adapts very quickly and it is clear that her instinct for survival can overcome the challenges that face her. She also has a caring and sensitive nature coupled with a strong sense of justice, which can be seen in Resident Evil 2 through her relationship with Sherry Birkin and her dealings with Annette Birkin. Her communication is very direct and if she has something to say, you can be sure that she will say it.

Currently there is no news of future appearances in the Resident Evil series for Claire, however, it is surely inevitable that she will return.

Sources

Wikipedia - Claire Redfield

Resident Evil Fan

Appearances

PLAYSTATION

Resident Evil 2 (January 29th, 1998 - initial Japanese release as Biohazard 2)

PLAYSTATION 2

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (March 22nd, 2001 - initial Japanese release as Biohazard: Code Veronica Complete)

Resident Evil Survivor 2 (November 8th, 2001 - initial Japanese release as Biohazard Gun Survivor 2)

PC

Resident Evil 2 (February 19th, 1999 - initial Japanese release as Biohazard 2)

N64

Resident Evil 2(November 19th, 1999 - initial U.S release)

DREAMCAST

Resident Evil 2 (December 22nd, 1999 - initial Japanese Release as Biohazard 2 Value Plus)

Resident Evil: Code Veronica (February 3rd, 2000 - initial Japanese release as Biohazard: Code Veronica)

Biohazard: Code Veronica Complete) (March 22nd, 2001 - only released in Japan)

GAMECUBE

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (August 7th, 2003 - initial Japanese release as Biohazard: Code Veronica Complete)

Resident Evil 2 (January 14th, 2003 - initial U.S release)

(EDIT 1: Links to add and more info, formatting etc.)

(EDIT 2: Done - although it may be worth me simplifying the games list due to Capcoms shameless milking of games)

(EDIT 3: Flows better)

Dracula

Konami

1986 (video games)

ocr4_mascot61.jpg

Bio

Historically, he was Eastern Europe's most notorious impaler. Since Bram Stoker's novel, movies and plays have contrasted his tact for seducing maidens with the painful loss of his beloved. Dracula, cult figure among vampires, further expands his fame in video games. There's the occasional cameo and/or parody platter in titles like Kid Dracula, Wai Wai World, and Ganbare Goemon 2, but more often the vampire scripts his darker, ongoing legacy in the Castlevania series.

Decked out in a tuxedo and cape, relishing bloodthirsty fangs and piercing eyes, the Count attains end boss-hood, holding supremacy over death-dealers like the Grim Reaper. With a legion of undead monsters at his command, Dracula aims to terrorize the Transylvanian populace, his first step in ruling the world. Those brave enough to answer the madman's schemes are whip-crackers of the Belmont bloodline and their allies, one of which is Dracula's estranged son, Alucard. When confronted, the Count is apt to teleport near and far, releasing three fireballs at a time from his cape. But the full extent of his power remains cloaked in mystery.

A master of deception, Dracula can assume the form of not only a bat, but a painting, a hulking gargoyle, even a draconian snake-bodied beast. Should a Belmont or other hero(ine) gain the upper hand in battle, the Count does not expect to stay down for long. Part of the vampire's nature is to rise again, and indeed, the Prince of Darkness grows stronger and more cunning with each resurrection. With cursed heroes, possessed townsfolk, and collective evil in their hearts, one has to wonder... can Transylvania ever sleep at night?

Quote: "I have waited for this moment, to be awake again."

MSX 2

Vampire Killer (1986)

NINTENDO

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (1989)

GAME BOY

Castlevania: The Adventure (1989)

SUPER NINTENDO

Super Castlevania IV (1991)

TURBOGRAFX-16

Demon Castle Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (1993)

X68000

Castlevania Chronicles (1993)

PLAYSTATION

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (1997)

GAME BOY ADVANCE

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (2001)

GAME BOY COLOR

Dracula: Crazy Vampire (2001)

References

Wikipedia - Dracula (Castlevania)

Castlevania Dungeon

Mr. P's Castlevania Realm

Dan Hibiki

Capcom

ocr4_mascot44.jpg

Bio

"Wow! How does Street Fighter beat other arcade fighters? It must be Capcom's "Ryu" formula!" thought rival company SNK. Like Doctor Frankensteins, they pieced together Ryo Sakazaki, a gi-toting, uppercut-flaring, fireball-tossing Ryu shotoclone who led the roster in SNK's Art of Fighting and King of Fighters series. Did Capcom file a lawsuit? No, they simply ripped off the knock-off, inadvertently adding to Street Fighter's already soaring popularity. They crafted... Dan Hibiki.

In Street Fighter Alpha, Muay Thai kickboxer Sagat is seen tossing aside a defeated warrior. Look closely and you'll spot Ryo's bright orange gi - and the head of Robert Garcia, Ryo's friend and rival. Two bitch-slaps in one heralds Dan's first appearance, his status as both a parody and a weak character exploited in subsequent games. For example, Like Ryo and Robert, Dan throws a fireball with one hand, not two, but the distance covered is pathetically short. His uppercut flies no farther, and his airborne triple-kick can be blocked easily. Dan's redeeming skill, ironically, is taunting. From in-battle poses to conceited catch phrases to SNK fighter-mocking family ties, the bumbling clown of Saikyo karate has no shortage of tauntage, which immortalizes him as a fan favorite.

Quote: "I'm not tougher than you, just better than you!"

ARCADE

Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams (1995)

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (1996)

Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (2000)

Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001 (2001)

NEO GEO POCKET COLOR

SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium (1999)

NEO-GEO

SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom (2003)

References

Wikipedia - Dan Hibiki

Fighters Generation - Dan Hibiki

Dan's Super Dojo

Street Fighter Alpha 2 Game Manual (SNES)

Street Fighter Organization

Spunodi - welcome! Your bio suffers from tense changes and odd sentences. Try to look it over and make it more fluent - it feels like it's chopped up somehow, like a movie that takes quick and confusing turns. Other than that, the overall structure is fine.

Polo - nice job. Maybe there should be some mentioning that Dracula extends his legacy in other forms and in other games than just the Castlevania series - even though that might seem like common knowledge. Maybe I'm just picky.

ocr4_mascot102.jpg

Bishamon

Capcom

-Story-

Born in 1673, Bishamon is a noble Japanese man charged with defending his homeland, and all those who live within its boundaries. Where some men might have used only their wits and skills, Bishamon chooses to use something more... something darker. Finding a forbidden suit of armor called Hannya, the Kacchu of Hatred, and a cursed sword named Kein, the Blood-Sucking Youtou (Demon Blade), he chooses to don the items to help him fulfill the destiny he'd been given. But the moment he takes Hannya and Kein, his days of rest end. Though his heart is still noble, the cursed armor and weapon demand blood and sacrifices. However, despite not being able to control his own body when Hannya and Kein want their victims, Bishamon learns to use the cursed rage upon those whom he feels he must defeat to free himself of the sword and armor's curse... all the Darkstalkers.

In his fights, Bishamon uses surprising speed and agility for his size. His weapon enables him to have a long reach, and his ability to swing it quickly allows for rapid successions of slashes and air born lunges. Also at his disposal, are a pair of spiritual energy orbs that he can stun his opponents with, giving him a chance to easily strike with his hellish blade. When complimented by the armor's abilities of self mirroring and spectral energies, Bishamon is a deadly force confronting those touched by darkness. But will the deaths of all Darkstalkers enable him to break free of Hannya and Kein's age old grip?

-Quote-

"Ha ha ha ha ha! My sword slashes even the Hades apart!"

-Games-

-Sources-

Night Warriors ending

ocr4_mascot49.jpg

Jedah

Capcom

-Story-

While his true place and date of birth aren't known, Jedah is resurrected in the desolate outer regions of Makai, the Devil World. His visions of what's to become of the world around him is something he dwells heavily upon. Under the reign of Berial, the head of the Aenslaed family and true ruler of Makai, Jedah sees nothing but decay in the future of Makai. To him, it's sitting on the cusp of oblivion, and in his mind, he believes the only one that can save it is him. To do this, Jedah believes every last soul must be united into a single soul so that peace can be brought to all. But for this to work, he needs a container... one that will be strong enough to hold all the souls, and that will enable him to not make the same mistake he feels Berial did in the past. With this in mind, Jedah concocts a plan to gather up the most valuable souls, and unite them with himself in hopes of making a container large enough to safely hold all the other souls.

In his battles, Jedah is able to use his powers to manipulate not only his own body, but also the spirit world around him. Through the use of large, almost scythe-like blades, and his own talon-tipped fingers, he can slice apart or keep at bay, any who get in his way. He can also call up spirits to attack or hold his adversaries in place as he steals some of their life force. All this combines into a dark warrior that's powerful enough to bring about his plans. But in the end, is he truly a Dark Messiah, or merely grim reaper-esque mad man?

-Quote-

"I understand your opinion. I just don't care about it..."

-Games-

-Sources-

GameFan Books "Darkstalkers: Jedah's Damnation" guide

Darkstalkers 3 game manual (Playstation)

Vampire Savior ending

Thanks Dafydd. Here's the seventh and (potentially) final bio...

ocr4_mascot90.jpg

Hsien-Ko

Capcom

-Story-

Born in 1730, Hsien-Ko and Mei-Ling call the sprawling land of China, home. Though they are young and innocent, their lives fill quickly with tragedy. They become orphaned as their mother is killed by a Darkstalker (quite possibly Demitri), bringing the heartbroken and angry girls to set out and find whomever was responsible. Their search is cut short however, as they're struck down by an evil force. Their search didn't last long, for they are struck down by an evil force. As they lay dying, each makes a vow. One swears to find and free the spirit of their mother, while the other promises to hunt down the powers of the night and destroy all the Darkstalkers. With this, they each release their final breathes, and their new quest begins. They are reborn as Chinese ghosts with strange powers, giving them the ability to carry out their vows. However, their time to do this is not infinite. Slowly, Hsien-Ko and her sister are becoming the very things they hunt. If they are to free their mother and bring down the beasts of the night, they must do so before the last of what they were in life fades away.

In her fights, Hsein-Ko is able to pull a wide and wild assortment of objects from the baggy sleeves of her elaborate costume. Weights, spiked balls, blades and even explosives can all be called up to strike down those she faces. Despite the seemingly hampering outfit, she is able to swiftly move her young spectral form and vanish to both avoid attacks, and get the drop on her opponents. With all her unorthodox abilities, she is able to keep her foes off balance and bring them down. But will she and her sister be able to fulfill their centuries old vows before the darkness claims what remains of their humanity?

-Quote-

"Don't call me the living dead. Don't you know what scares me?"

-Games-

-Sources-

Night Warriors ending

Let me know if any of these need touching up when you get back, Dafydd.

Maybe there should be some mentioning that Dracula extends his legacy in other forms and in other games than just the Castlevania series

Sure. I added two spin-off appearances (Wai Wai World, Kid Dracula) and a random cameo (Ganbare Goemon 2). I focused mostly on Castlevania since many sitegoers know the series well (not to mention the scope of remixage).

Also, Coop, small editing nitpicks for Hsien-Ko's bio:

Their search is cut short however, as they're struck down by an evil force. Their search didn't last long, for they are struck down by an evil force.

I think you can cut one of those sentences. And

As they lay dying, each makes a vow

can read "As they're dying, ..." It sounded like an abrupt past-to-present tense change.

Btw, the summer version of Jon Talbain and the smiley is cute.

----------

Lara Croft

Core Design (developer) / Eidos (publisher)

ocr4_mascot31.jpg

Bio

When Core Design graphic artist Toby Gard goofed up on Lara's mammaries, colleagues approved of the size before he could change it, thus deciding the treasure hunter's debuting look. That slip-up sparked conflicting, in-depth analyses of the character's role as a sex object, a symbol of feminism, and all the shades in between like no video game babe before her. The growing number of women that supply Lara's voice and model her body in real life is a testament to her fan base.

Formally educated through private tutoring and a succession of schools, Lady Lara Croft finds the sheltered atmosphere of the British aristocracy stifling. An indefatigable sportswoman, she prefers engaging the great outdoors in rock climbing, skiing, archery, and the many modes of transportation including jeep, motorbike, and kayak. Lara's passion is forged into hardy survival skills when her plane crashes in the Himalayas before she can return home. Combined with her education, a new calling beckons: to excavate ruins and live to write home about them.

The Indiana Jones tomb raider sprints, leaps, rolls, swings, climbs, and dives into archaeological sites the world over, retrieving relics such as the Atlantean Scion, the Dagger of Xian, and the Philosopher's Stone, to name a handful. Dominant among the tools in her backpack and hip holsters are guns, fit for dealing with wild animals and double-crossers who race Lara for the artifacts she seeks. On her missions, the ponytailed brunette commonly sports a green latex tank top and khaki shorts to accentuate her curves and her fun.

Quote: "I don't count poison darts and triggered entombment your average child's tea party."

PLAYSTATION, PC, MACINTOSH

Tomb Raider (1996)

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (1999)

Tomb Raider Chronicles (2000)

GAME BOY COLOR

Tomb Raider: Curse of the Sword (2001)

GAME BOY ADVANCE

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Prophecy (2002)

PLAYSTATION 2, XBOX

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend (2006)

References

Wikipedia - Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Chronicles

Tomb Raider News Channel

Huh. Forgot to clean up that spot after I caught myself going past tense for a sentence. Oops.

V3...

ocr4_mascot90.jpg

Hsien-Ko

Capcom

-Story-

Born in 1730, Hsien-Ko and Mei-Ling call the sprawling land of China their home. Though they are young and innocent, their lives fill quickly with tragedy. They become orphaned as their mother is killed by a Darkstalker (quite possibly Demitri), bringing the heartbroken and angry girls to set out and find whomever was responsible. Their search is cut short however, as they're struck down by an evil force. As they lie dying, each makes a vow. One swears to find and free the spirit of their mother, while the other promises to hunt down the powers of the night and destroy all the Darkstalkers. With this, they each release their final breaths, and their new quest begins. They are reborn as Chinese ghosts with strange powers, giving them the ability to carry out their vows. However, their time to do this is not infinite. Slowly, Hsien-Ko and her sister are becoming the very things they hunt. If they are to free their mother and bring down the beasts of the night, they must do so before the last bits of what they were in life fade away.

In her fights, Hsein-Ko is able to pull a wide and wild assortment of objects from the baggy sleeves of her elaborate costume. Weights, spiked balls, blades and even explosives can all be called up to strike down those she faces. Despite the seemingly hampering outfit, she is able to swiftly move her young spectral form and vanish to both avoid attacks, and get the drop on her opponents. With all her unorthodox abilities, she is able to keep her foes off balance and bring them down. But will she and her sister be able to fulfill their centuries-old vows before the darkness claims what remains of their humanity?

-Quote-

"Don't call me the living dead. Don't you know what scares me?"

-Games-

-Sources-

Night Warriors ending

Well done, both of you. Coop, I agree on everything that Polo said about your bio, and your sig image. For some reason, the water movement in it makes it feel like a perspective change, though (as if the camera jumps every time a new wave hits the shore).

Now - whine time!

Coop, I've edited some things in the last bio for fluency and/or grammatical reasons. Read it over again, I might have been in the wrong. This bio really explains why she fights before you start talking about how she fights - good! :) To anyone unknowing of what a darkstalker is, it might need to be explained, but like I said before, maybe there could be a separate bio that lists the 7 characters and briefly (in maybe 5 sentences) explains what a darkstalker is, and something about the game series as such. Maybe you could write that brief explanation and post it here. When we wrap things up, we'll put it all together. What do you think?

Polo, it feels like there's a word missing in Lara's quote, between "entombment" and "your". Is there, or it is just me? I also added the word "to" between the colon and the word "excavate" in the last sentence in the middle paragraph. I was gonna do Lara myself but I ended up not doing it because I realized I knew too little about her (wow, that sentence could be read the wrong way. :-D )

I focused mostly on Castlevania since many sitegoers know the series well (not to mention the scope of remixage).

Naturally. And you did the right thing :)

Coop, I've edited some things in the last bio for fluency and/or grammatical reasons. Read it over again, I might have been in the wrong. This bio really explains why she fights before you start talking about how she fights - good! :) To anyone unknowing of what a darkstalker is, it might need to be explained, but like I said before, maybe there could be a separate bio that lists the 7 characters and briefly (in maybe 5 sentences) explains what a darkstalker is, and something about the game series as such. Maybe you could write that brief explanation and post it here. When we wrap things up, we'll put it all together. What do you think?

Doesn't sound overly taxing. I guess I could write a "What is" ;)

But I'm not sure I understood the beginning. Are you saying I should re-read it, or that you read it again and realized it may not have need the alterations you'd done? Perhaps it's because it's 1:23 AM, but that part kind of confused me.

Sorry about that. What I meant was - I want you to read it over again and see for yourself if you can find any more grammatical/fluential issues, and mainly, if my alterations resulted in additional grammatical/fluential issues rather than solving them, or if you think I've screwed up your bio by editing it. I hope that's clear enough. :wink:

"TO excavate ruins..." Heh. That makes sense. Without the word "to" it sounds like a command rather than a calling. Thanks for the nitpick.

As for Lara's quote, you can check Google's search result. It would make more sense for it to read "I don't count poison darts and triggered entombment to be your average child's tea party," but Lara says otherwise in The Last Revelation. Perhaps you can think of it this way: "poison darts" and "triggered entombment," two small ideas that are part of a BIGGER one (the perils inside a tomb). "I don't count (BIG IDEA) your average child's tea party."

----------

Ryu

Capcom

ocr4_mascot18.jpg

Bio

Ryu, the crowned champion of the first World Warrior tournament, finds victory over an opponent meaningless. Forever sporting a white gi, sparring gloves, and a bandanna to stay focused, he wanders, flying fists and feet sharpening his skills and perfecting his spirit. Periodically he visits Suzaku Castle, the burial ground for his master Gouken, to pay his respects - and to fight those who may challenge him.

Trained in Ansatsuken martial arts, Ryu boasts three key attacks. Channeling energy through his hands, he projects from them a wave in the form of a fireball, the Hadouken. Further defying physics is his ability to spin forward through the air, foot outstretched, creating a hurricane-like kick, the Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku. But it was the Shoryuken that stole the title of champion from Muay Thai kickboxer Sagat. Leaping to the heavens with the grace of a dragon, fist clenched in an uppercut, Ryu knocked down Sagat and scarred his chest. The accessibility of these moves, Ryu's balanced fighting style, and his character sculpt him as an iconic figure not only in the Street Fighter series, but the fighting genre as a whole.

Quote: "You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance!"

ARCADE

Street Fighter (1987)

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (1991)

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (1996)

Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter (1997)

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Fight for the Future (1999)

PLAYSTATION

Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha (1997)

NEO GEO POCKET COLOR

SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium (1999)

GAME BOY ADVANCE

Super Street Fighter II Turbo: Revival Edition (2001)

PLAYSTATION 2

Namco x Capcom (2005)

References

Wikipedia - Ryu (Street Fighter)

Fighters Generation - Ryu

Street Fighter II - The World Warrior Game Manual (SNES)

Street Fighter Organization

----------

I also have Ken's bio in the works, and while I'm at it, I'll write Akuma's / Gouki's (# 43) as well.

I still think Lara's quote sounds weird, but if that's the way she says it, then that's what we'll put up here. It is a "quote", after all. :) Good job with Ryu! I look forward to seeing more SF bios. I've heard somewhere than "Ryu" means "dragon", I don't know if it's true, but if it is, maybe there could be some quick mention of that in the bio (as well as what Hadouken and the other attack name mean), or maybe I'm just being a nerd here. :)