OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

DUN DUN DUUUUUUN!

----------

Sephiroth

Square

ocr4_mascot35.jpg

Bio

Sephiroth is the boastfully ultimate product of the Shinra mega-corporation's science and military facilities. Standing over six feet tall, wielding an equally rare and lengthy Masamune, the elite officer outclasses all other SOLDIERs in power and persona. Add his silver hair to the mix and he wonders about his parentage - which no one in Shinra reveals to him beyond the name Jenova.

On a mission to inspect a reactor near the town of Nibelheim, Sephiroth found chambers containing mutated humans alongside one chamber labeled "Jenova." "Was I created this way too?" he thought. Back at the town's mansion he studied research notes by the scientist responsible for these experiments. The reports, though incomplete, were enough to temper his feeling like a mutation into rage against all humanity, starting with the roast of Nibelheim.

Thought to have disappeared then, Sephiroth returns with a deadlier agenda on his hands. Bodies of SOLDIERs pile up as he seeks a position beyond that of elite officer of Shinra. Those who follow his black cape are in for several rude surprises - not least of which is a "calamity from the skies."

Quote: "What do I have to be sad about? I am the chosen one."

Selected Game Appearances

PLAYSTATION

Final Fantasy VII (1997)

ARCADE

Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring (1998)

PLAYSTATION 2

Kingdom Hearts (2002)

Itadaki Street Special (2004)

Kingdom Hearts II (2005)

References

Wikipedia - Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)

Fighters Generation - Sephiroth

Video Game Character Adaptations - Sephiroth

Temple of Sephiroth

Final Fantasy VII Game Manual (PC)

I AM working on one. Don't touch him. :)

Coop, I thought your darkstalkers thingy was very good, but the part where you brought up what seemed like every one of them was a little bit too comprehensive, in my opinion. Consider removing the ones that are not covered in the project and mention them only as "among others", or the likes. Other than that, this is exactly what I asked of you.

I would also like to thank you so much for doing this, especially after being told that the first ones you made, and obviosly spent a lot of time on, weren't good enough. :) Again, thank you.

As for the rest of you, can anyone tell me what the hell this:

DUN DUN DUUUUUUN!

means? What exactly is he done with? The bios he dibbed? Was that all? In that case, it's all good, and I have no further complaints.

Sorry for being away from the thread for so long. I just haven't been in the mood. I'll be back with Wily's bio shortly.

As for the rest of you, can anyone tell me what the hell this:

DUN DUN DUUUUUUN!

means? What exactly is he done with? The bios he dibbed? Was that all?

Sephiroth, ranked #1 bad guy of all time. The last of the FF7 bios and my (current) dibs. 500th reply in the thread. My 30th bio. Stirring up a little "WHOA!" reaction from readers used to watching me jump right into the bios. For the heck of it. (insert other obligatory champagne cork-popping reason here)

I'm not done writing bios, I've just been focusing on the (rather deceptive) editing phase lately. I'm thinking of rewriting / adding to bios previously written by others, tightening up the words, adding / deleting games / sources, in case you, Dafydd, don't have enough reserves to sift through them. Linearity said he'd help go through them as well, but he hasn't responded to my PM.

Also, Coop, you can probably add the Darkstalkers' pics at the top of your explanation:

ocr4_mascot103.jpgocr4_mascot50.jpgocr4_mascot37.jpgocr4_mascot55.jpgocr4_mascot90.jpgocr4_mascot49.jpgocr4_mascot102.jpg

to give the reader a visual anchor.

Sephiroth, ranked #1 bad guy of all time. The last of the FF7 bios and my (current) dibs. 500th reply in the thread. My 30th bio. Stirring up a little "WHOA!" reaction from readers used to watching me jump right into the bios. For the heck of it. (insert other obligatory champagne cork-popping reason here)

Aaaah. I see. Carry on, then.

I'm not done writing bios, I've just been focusing on the (rather deceptive) editing phase lately. I'm thinking of rewriting / adding to bios previously written by others, tightening up the words, adding / deleting games / sources, in case you, Dafydd, don't have enough reserves to sift through them.

Yeah, I don't have that much spare time on my hands right now. Or, rather, I've wasted the time I've had in unmod, and now I really don't have that much spare time. :banghead:

I'll try to go through some bios very soon, but you're so much better than I at writing bios, so I'll entrust you with improving any one of them, whenever you feel like it. I can already tell you, as is stated in the first post, that the Mega Man X bio needs reworking. Smoke doesn't seem to give a shit despite my inviting him. I could try to re-write that one myself, since it's pretty much the only bio here that I feel confident enough to write about. My preliminary Wily bio stinks, but I'll post it anyway, just to prove I've actually given it a try. Also, thanks for linking me to that post of Linearity's. Did you read the one right below it? Also, Lin's Mega Man bio was right underneath that one. Good for reference when writing the Wily bio. Thanks again.

I gave Linearity a search on the forums and it appears he's only posted a single once since June 14, and that was on July 17. I'm guessing he's busy with something important. :)

Also, Coop, you can probably add the Darkstalkers' pics at the top of your explanation:

ocr4_mascot103.jpgocr4_mascot50.jpgocr4_mascot37.jpgocr4_mascot55.jpgocr4_mascot90.jpgocr4_mascot49.jpgocr4_mascot102.jpg

to give the reader a visual anchor.

Seconded. "Good call, my young padawan". Et cetera.

Yes, I stole Linearity's layout. I wasn't in the mood to relink all those games. :)

Dr. Wily

Capcom

ocr4_mascot54.jpg

Character Summary

Dr. Albert Wily, sporting a white labcoat, wild, grey hair, a moustache, bushy eyebrows and a superior intellect, seems to share a bit more than his first name with world-famous physicist Albert Einstein. The one important thing that puts them apart is that the latter was a pacifist, and that the former is the archetype evil/mad scientist bent on destruction and power.

Wily's story has changed several times, but the one more commonly told is that he was originally the aide of genius Dr. Light - the creator of what was to become Mega Man, and several other humanoid robots. After stealing several of these robots for his own ends, Dr. Wily turned them into destructive weapons, dubbed them Robot Masters and let them wreak havoc on the city of Monstropolis in an attempt to take over the world. Deep inside his Skull Castle, he was defeated by the combat refitted household robot Mega Man, and fled in his flying saucer, only to return some years later with a fresh armada of new Robot Masters for Mega Man to destroy.

Dr. Wily is notorious for his ability to always elude the arms of justice and return again. After his customary crying at Mega Man's feet at a failure, he always has an escape route, and returns to attempt global conquest once again, using either new inventions, or by giving life to past creations once more.

Quote: *juts eyebrows*

Appearances

Mega Man (1987)

Mega Man 2 (1988)

Mega Man 3 (1990)

Mega Man 4 (1991)

Mega Man 5 (1992)

Mega Man 6 (1993)

Mega Man: The Wily Wars (1993)

Mega Man 7 (1995)

Mega Man 8 (1997)

Sources:

The Mega Man Home Page

Wikipedia's Dr. Wily page

Gamemanuals.net

- Mega Man manual

Oh. That didn't sound as fun as I'd hoped. :/ heh. By the way, watkinzez, is that you on the right in your sig? You're using his face on frappr...

Anyway, my Wily bio has the outline I want but the fluency is just not there, and I feel things could be elaborated without repeating what's said in the Mega Man bio. Someone help me.

Oh. That didn't sound as fun as I'd hoped. :/ heh. By the way, watkinzez, is that you on the right in your sig? You're using his face on frappr...

Anyway, my Wily bio has the outline I want but the fluency is just not there, and I feel things could be elaborated without repeating what's said in the Mega Man bio. Someone help me.

You could add in a bit about his repeated use of the Saucer as an attack method, add a bit about building Bass, or even add in a small bit about Zero, and how Wily is responsible for a large part of the X series.

Might also be worth noting the alternate universe Wily in the Battle Network games, as well as his cameo as a good guy in Mega Man Legends.

You could add in a bit about his repeated use of the Saucer as an attack method, add a bit about building Bass, or even add in a small bit about Zero, and how Wily is responsible for a large part of the X series.

Might also be worth noting the alternate universe Wily in the Battle Network games, as well as his cameo as a good guy in Mega Man Legends.

Bleh. You try it. I obviously don't know crap about the guy... :oops: I'm serious. Write a new bio for him, but try to bring up the things I said in it. I didn't know he had anything to do with the X series, or that he did a good guy cameo in MML, but I was considering mentioning the saucer. Are these things you find out in MM7 / 8?

... I guess there's no point to avoiding spoilers when it comes to Mega Man anyway. Or is there? I mean... in what game do you find out about Wily being important to the X series?

Also, I just realized that we might have to change things in the "appearance" list. As far as I know, the Mega Man games with roman numerals are usually the game boy ones, and the ones with arabic numerals are the NES ones. So I changed that in the bio.

By the way, watkinzez, is that you on the right in your sig? You're using his face on frappr...

Yeah, I thought they looked like actors, and they also looked a bit too old, but I've never seen them play in anything, But you can never tell, can you? :)

^^;;

You find out that he's the one that built Zero in Bass's ending to Power Fighters 2.

Wily also shows up in Zero's dreams very early on in X4.

Not only that, but Wily created the Zero Virus, which would end up transferring from Zero into Sigma during one of their fights, thus creating the nasty Sigma Virus.

*is quite a bit of a Mega Man fan ^^;*

Fluidly connecting the facts that matter will always be, IMO, the greatest challenge to writing bios. I usually spend time away from my laptop to write different possible openers / data connectors / word orders based on what I know offhand or have learned recently, central / relative to the mascot. Frustrating, but it helps.

----------

And now, a revision of Dafydd's Doom Trooper bio on page 8...

Doomguy

id Software

ocr4_mascot71.jpg

Character Summary

When a Mars-based teleportation experiment goes awry, contact with Phobos and Deimos is lost. The latter moon disappears, so the former's base is investigated by green-armored grunts and troopers. One, a marine more through force than personal choice, stands guard at the hangar. His radio transmitter returns his buddies' cries of agony mingled with monstrous growls, then silence. Armed only with a pistol and his wits about him, the nameless "Doomguy" advances, about to learn what kind of hell has been unleashed.

Doom's immersive 3D atmosphere set new precedents for first-person shooters such that similar games were dubbed "Doom clones" based on their setup. At the bottom of the screen lies the face behind the space helmet, eyes shifting left and right for danger, grunting when pained (and bleeding when health is low enough), and grinning when a new weapon's picked up. Shotguns, rocket launchers, and plasma rifles are a few WMDs that help the marine tear a gory path through the monsters in the hopes of finding where they're coming from - and maybe a way back home to Earth.

Quote: "Hgnn!" (grunt)

Sources

Wikipedia - Doomguy

The Ultimate Doom Game Manual

Planet Doom

MobyGames - Doom Series

Old Doom

Appearances

PC

Doom (1993)

Doom II: Hell on Earth (1994)

Final Doom (1996)

Doom 3 (2004)

NINTENDO 64

Doom 64 (1997)

Darkstalkers "What is", take two...

What is Darkstalkers?

To put it simply, it's a series from Japanese game makers Capcom, where fantastical characters that were touched by “darkness” either at birth, or later in life, fight one another. But these characters aren't your average run of the mill stock. Among the numerous characters in the series, there's a werewolf (Jon Talbain), a pair of succubi (Morrigan and Lilith Aenslaed), a cursed samurai (Bishamon), an undead rocker (Lord Raptor), a Chinese ghost (Hsein-ko), and a self appointed dark messiah (Jedah). Some of the characters in the series (like Victor, who isn't pictured here) are based off of classic literature monsters (in Victor's case, "Frankenstein"), while others are original takes on well established types of monsters. Regardless of each character's source, it's a colorful cast of characters to be sure, and each one has a specific reason for confronting (or being confronted by) the other Darkstalkers.

Some are good, some are evil, and a few even walk the thin line between the two sides. But no matter their alignment or reasonings behind it, a pair of commonalities is shared among them... they're all searching for something, and their searches will inevitably bring them all face to face. But in the end, only one can claim what it is they're after. The question is, just who will it be?

^ Lookin' good, Coop.

In other news,

Hey, sorry I'm been out of the loop for a while.

What do you mean my most solid completions? I finalized and edited all of my bios (except I-No's, which I will finish up today), so they're all ready to go, I think. I'll proofread them again just to be sure; they're all listed on the front page.

How's the editing process going to work?

Cool, glad you're still alive.

If you're happy with your finalized bios and they read smoothly enough for a newb to grasp, I'd consider that "solid." Post the links to your completed bios and Dafydd will link them in the first post, to alert Liontamer to copy+paste them into OCR's Wiki.

I'm reading through old bios and seeing if I can touch up some that are tacky or run-on, missing a character quote, need more sources / fewer game appearances (I list 3-5 sources, 6 or 9 major appearances max), and need grammar / spelling fixes. You, watkinzez, The Coop, and I are among the most involved, while people who posted only one bio or dropped may not come back to fix their own work, either 'cause they're busy (Rexy), forgot (Instrument of GAWD), or their English "sucks" (Psychotic Ninja). Dafydd hasn't been in the mood lately so I revised his Doom Trooper bio for him. I linked to his old bio when posting my version with more relevant info, better flow, and more sources.

We could also link to bios (by others) that we think are done, if we're too lazy to revise 'em.

----------

And now a revision of Rexy's Sonic bio on page 9...

Sonic

Sega

ocr4_mascot8.jpg

Character Summary

Replacing Alex Kidd in 1991, Sega answered Nintendo's Mario with a new mascot, Sonic, whose name and game complemented the CPU speed of the Genesis. Sporting red-and-white Power Sneakers, the cobalt-blue hedgehog can run and roll faster than the speed of sound. He doesn't look back; that's his way of life.

Storywise, Doctor Robotnik (known as Dr. Eggman from Sonic Adventure on) is bent on ruling the world with his mad scientist intellect and the mystical power of the Chaos Emeralds. It's up to Sonic to put a stop to him by going through levels (called "acts") laden with slopes, loop de loops, springs, and other speed-strategic pieces, collecting rings along the way. With his quill-sharp rolling jump and spinning attacks, he spikes the Doctor's machines to save the cute, fuzzy animals trapped within them. Joined by other colorful anthropomorphic characters in spin-off titles, comics, and cartoons, Sonic's popularity has soared beyond Mario's on occasion. He even has a fruit fly embryonic development gene named after him.

Quote: "This game of tag is boring; I'm outta here!"

Sources

Wikipedia - Sonic

Sonic HQ

MobyGames - Sonic the Hedgehog Series

Appearances

GENESIS

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)

Sonic & Knuckles (1994)

MASTER SYSTEM

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992)

SEGA CD

Sonic CD (1993)

SEGA SATURN

Sonic 3D: Flickie's Island (1996)

DREAMCAST

Sonic Adventure (1998)

----------

And as always, feedback is a boon, even on editing-phase revisions, in case a sentence doesn't sit right, an idea doesn't fit... whatever.

Yeah, even though that it's from the X series and not the original, the "After him! He is our nemesis! Our rivalry is what gives me motivation in life!" line might work as a good quote for him.

For the Mega Man thingers, ye might wanna research a bit into the recently released Zero Complete Works book, as it contains a lot of new information there. It has also thrown off like, everyone's understanding of how many of the things in the X and Zero series work. 'Course, 's far as I've seen no one (outside of Capcom/Inti Creates that is) has yet to gain a complete understanding on how things work based on the Complete Works. There is new information regarding X and Wily there that, well, chances are aren't in the profiles.

Also, for the R-9 bio, I recall Bydo being created as bioweapons by humans in the 26th century (400 years later), but then sealed into... somewhere, I forget where. I can't remember precisely but I recall it being since they no longer had any need for 'em or the Bydo became uncontrollable. Either or. Then after spending a lotta time there they somehow managed to break free four centuries before their creation near Earth and were pretty pissed off at humans and decided to attack us.

Can't remember exact info, will haveta check 'em today or tomorrow.

Edit: Also, the I-No profile could maybe divulge a bit of why she's working for That Man, seeing how it is pretty bare right now, and the info doesn't come out in the games itself anyways so it wouldn't be to spoiler-y, I think.

Well, since I've played Mega Mans X1, X2 and X3 and still haven't seen any hint of Wily, I'd consider mentioning him and the X series in the same sentence would be a pretty grand spoiler. I'd also rather not have us delve into things like the "Zero Complete Works", since most of what's in there is likely thought up years after the original story... :|

Hm, well, y'see, Inafune himself took part in the creation of the book and the information has to do wif both the X and Zero series. Also, I hear it goes along somewhat better wif the MHX games than the original X games, however both are the same X series, and the plot is the same in the end. Methinks whether it was thought up years after or not is irrelevant to the validity of the information.

As fer ze Wily relation to X series thinger, I guess ye've a point there. Personally I've no clue when he was thrown into the mix in the games, having played only X, X8 and Command Mission outta the X series. Possibly X2 too, but can't remember if I have anymore.

Well, ditching the Wily part then, it still contains the bit about X being the origin of the so called maverick virus. According to my understanding, he was given a sort of "worry circuit" (not necessarily a physical circuit but a thought pattern maybe) that causes him to worry about siding with either humans or reploids in relevant situations, and Light put him into the stasis fer 30 years so that it'd most likely run simulations that included this circuit and "trained" X in controlling himself wif the thinger. Since after all, if he couldn't handle it, well, yeah. I doubt I need'ta finish that sentence.

Now, Cain ditched this process wif his reploids, meaning not everyone had the willpower to be able to decide when situations wif the circuit came and went crazeh. Some on the other hand could clearly decide, but chose reploids, which caused humanses to label 'em as a danger fer humanses. Now, Sigma was all strong-like and capable of not going loco or choosing reploids, until he fought Zero. Zero was carrying a virus, that then jumped to Sigma in their fight and messed wif his thought process and turned him maverick later on. The virus also mish-mashed wif Sigma's DNA code to mutate into ze Sigma Virus. The Maverick Virus? No such thing, only Sigma and Zero Virii, and Nightmare Virus later on too.

Also, fun fact: the worry circuit effect jumped from someone, Sigma or X, I'm not sure which, to Zero, and somehow calmed him down. Zero had been but a raging killer, however he had normalness inside him, only it had been blocked by stuffs Wily did, but the transplantation of the Worry Circuit whatever phix'd that and we got a nice Zero. Then Zero went wandering fer a while to improve and unknowingly infected a load of other reploids wif virusness.

... Erm, ignore the fruit loop talkings of mine there, it just kinda comes automatically. XP

Also, that's the most relevant info that I can remember off the bat, ye can choose if'n ye wanna add it along or not. If'n ye do choose to do so, I recommend checking RPM fer more information on the thinger, since this is from my vague memory and most likely not the 100% accurate version. >_>

Probably more info than we need Gobolt, but thanks for sharing. I'll see what I can do with the bios of Mega Man, X, AND Dr. Wily, in terms of revising and such. I like the way you type, btw.

----------

A revision of Linearity's Toad bio on page 9...

Toad

Nintendo

ocr4_mascot39.jpg

Character Summary

The Toads of the Mushroom Kingdom are a busy, peppy lot. They run shops chock-full of power-ups lurking in treasure chests, patrol their purloined princess's castle handing out stars, and urge onward the equally energetic plumbers, Mario and Luigi, with pleas like the legendary "But our Princess is in another castle!" sentiment. Juggling these tasks and more is the loyal retainer to Princess Toadstool, the Toad with the standout name of - Toad.

Called Kinopio in Japan, the stout mushroom man first becomes playable (and competitive) in Super Mario Bros. 2, his fast feet and veggie-plucking prowess offsetting weak jumpage. In Wario's Woods, Toad capitalizes on his strength by lifting and chucking whole stacks of bombs to clear puzzle rooms. A speedy lightweight in the Mario Kart games, his childlike voice shouts "yahoo!" as he gains the lead.

And he's still mature enough to help organize whole parties. A consummate toady.

Quote: "Hey Mario! Lots of people use something called a "door" to go in and out of their houses..."

Sources

Wikipedia - Toad

Mario Mania - Toad

La Maison de Toad (French)

Appearances

NINTENDO

Super Mario Bros. (1985)

Super Mario Bros. 2 (1988)

Wario's Woods (1994)

SUPER NINTENDO

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (1996)

NINTENDO 64

Mario Kart 64 (1996)

GAMECUBE

Super Smash Bros. Melee (2001)