OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

Haha.. new mascots.

ocr4_mascot136.jpgocr4_mascot137.jpgocr4_mascot138.jpgocr4_mascot139.jpgocr4_mascot140.jpgocr4_mascot141.jpg

ocr4_mascot142.jpgocr4_mascot143.jpgocr4_mascot144.jpgocr4_mascot145.jpgocr4_mascot146.jpgocr4_mascot147.jpg

ocr4_mascot148.jpgocr4_mascot149.jpgocr4_mascot150.jpg

136: Lady (Devil May Cry 3)

137: Dante (Devil May Cry)

138: Voldo (Soul Calibur)

139: Hammer Bros (Super Mario Bros.)

140: Cid (Final Fantasy VII)

141: Shinnosuke Kagami (Last Blade)

142: Gambit (X-Men)

143: Venom

144: Blaze the Cat (Sonic Rush)

145: Spiderman

146: Zato-1 (Guilty Gear)

147: Solid Snake (MGS4, we can just link this to the other Solid Snake bio)

148: Lakitu (Super Mario Bros.)

149: Rose (Street Fighter Alpha)

150: Setsuna (Last Blade)

Thanks SoloGamer.

There's also another mascot of which I don't know the number of.. a crazy Japanese office worker guy which I glanced a few minutes ago. EDIT- Turns out this guy replaced 101, which (luckily) hasn't had a bio written.

ocr4_mascot101.jpg

Looking at Shnabubula's post on the first page, a few other mascots have changed (mostly quality of the pictures, seem to be bigger). A few, though-

Is this one the same character as the old one, or am I just blind?

ocr4_mascot105.jpgocr4_mascot105.jpg

Heh, and I was just going to point that out after seeing Blaze.

136: Lady (Devil May Cry 3)

138: Voldo (Sou Calibur)

140: Cid (Final Fantasy VII)

141: Shinnosuke Kagami (Last Blade)

142: Gambit (X-Men)

146: Zato-1 (Guilty Gear)

149: Rose (Street Fighter Alpha)

150: Setsuna (Last Blade)

Oh, and I noticed this on the first page:

ocr4_mascot84.jpgocr4_mascot88.jpgocr4_mascot101.jpgocr4_mascot131.jpgocr4_mascot135.jpg

84. Rikku

88. Jin Kazama

101. Female Dark Elf (Lineage 2)

131. Akira

135. Bowman

101 seems to have changed (sorry, I have no clue who that guy is)

The update knocked me back into bio writing shape.

Lakitu

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot148.jpg

As with any anthropomorphic species in videogames, the Lakitus come in good and evil varieties. Using its own personal flying cloud Lakitu can either hinder or help Mario on his many adventures, and has appeared in much of the Mario series since its inception- effectively in the same category as the classic Mario characters (Goombas, Koopa Troopas, Bullet Bills and Piranha Plants being among some).

Lakitus as foes of Mario use their height and speed advantage to attack from the sky with various projectiles; usually spiny shells. A pain to avoid, it turns out, and equally so for Mario to remove these enemies from his path. It wasn’t until Super Mario World that the plumber could get his own back and steal Lakitu’s cloud from under it. Not all variants had the aerial advantage, though- some chose to hide in pipes from which to attack.

It’s not all bad for Mario, though- some useful characters from the flying turtles have appeared to help him in his quests. Super Mario 64’s pioneer approach to the 3D platform game camera involved an actual in game camera that the Lakitu Bros would carry while following Mario. Also professed judge of the Mario Kart series, Lakitu would carry the race’s start light, and bring aid to anyone who had taken an ill turn in the race.

Quote: "Why do people hate me?"

Source:

Lakitu Wikipedia Page

TMK Mariopedia- L

The Super Mario Brothers Monster Compendium

Games Lakitu has appeared in:

NES

Super Mario Bros. (1985)

Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988)

SNES

Super Mario World (1990)

Super Mario Kart (1992)

Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars (1996)

NINTENDO 64

Super Mario 64 (1996)

Mario Kart 64 (1996)

Paper Mario (2001)

Hammer Brother

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot139.jpg

The guy above is lonely- he hasn’t got his bro around to keep him company. It’s rare to see a Hammer Brother by themselves, because when they team up to take on Mario, they can prove to be a decent obstacle. Using their somehow infinite barrage of hammers to throw at the plumber the brothers prove to be a pain and are notorious for being one of the harder enemies to defeat in the original Super Mario Bros.

Their appearance has been fairly constant over the course of the series, donning the helmet in Super Mario Bros. 3. Several variations to the fact have also been present- the Boomerang Brother (with added range) and super sized Sledge Brother (complete with earth shaking attack) varieties gracing Mario’s presence in 1988. The Mario RPGs offer the Brothers most often as minibosses or otherwise tougher enemies, the most memorable of which would be their internet linguistics in Partners in Time.

The Brothers’ power is not limited to themselves; the Hammer Suit allows Mario to gain the projectile attack his enemies had an advantage with. Their shell also an effective defense mechanism, blocking attacks when in use.

Quote: “You lookin' at me? My hammer and I don't like you.”

Source:

Hammer Brothers Wikipedia Page

The Super Mario Brothers Monster Compendium

TMK Mariopedia- H

Games the Hammer Brothers have appeared in:

NES

Super Mario Bros. (1985)

Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988)

SNES

Super Mario World (1991)

Super Mario RPG (1996)

NINTENDO 64

Paper Mario (2001)

GAMECUBE

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (2004)

NINTENDO DS

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (2005)

Mascot 101:

ocr4_mascot101.jpg

...is some guy named Norimaro from the Japanese version of Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter. Scroll down on this page to see him (the Marvel mascots apparently got image upgrades from there, too).

We should get mascots of our own. Uprising!

YES!

Nice Work Guy

Polo_NiceMascot.jpg

Article: Polo

Pictured from: The Nice Work Guy Archive - Update 6

Created (or rather hosted) by: Something Awful

First appearance: 2002

--- Bio ---

While not a video game character in origin, the Nice Work Guy is a contagious part of OverClocked ReMix's visual history. Forumgoer Midee first found the grinning gray-suit on the comedic site Something Awful and wrote the phrase "Nice Work!" on it. At first it was randomly posted as a smart-assed response to someone boasting about a moot accomplishment (like reaching a certain postcount), but then people started making "Nice" edits of the face, body, and phrase. Ranging from silly to vulgar and everywhere in between, the stills and animations simply begged to be archived.

Successive "Nice Work" threads in the OCR forum UnModerated (now replaced by Off Topic) housed the edits over time, as well as different hosting sites. Currently a combination of both is used, and organization's handled by prolific NWG editor The Coop. A couple of his edits have been integrated onto the site:

:nicework: as an expressively eye-shifting, eyebrow-raising smiley and

niceworkguy.gif an OCR avatar, with contrast tweakage by site administrator djpretzel.

Long considered a "borderline" mascot, the Nice Work Guy became "official" when the OCR Mascot Bio Project was released. Included with the other shadow-casting video game mascots selected by djp, the mustachioed arm-folder appears in OCR's mascot randomizer, wishing the forumgoer "Nice Work" with his Big Brother-like (omni)presence.

--- Quote ---

"Nice Work!"

--- Appearances ---

Something Awful (2002)

OverClocked ReMix - UnModerated forum (2002)

OverClocked ReMix - Off Topic forum (2007)

--- References ---

OCR Quirks - Nice Work Guy

The Nice Work Guy Archive

(The last paragraph is subject to change or simply not happen, obviously.)

Norimaro

Capcom

ocr4_mascot101.jpg

Chun-Li from Street Fighter has a number-one fan in Norimaro, a secret joke character in the Japanese version of Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter. Norimaro supposedly snuck his way in to the fighting tournament to photograph his lightning-kicking idol.

An otaku (Japanese for a nerdy, overenthusiastic fan), Norimaro is scrawny and excitable. He survives in combat by throwing objects such as stuffed animals and drafting compasses at his opponents. His super combos have names such as "Ultra Secret Private Memories" and involve bizarre patterns of attack, one of which being Norimaro dressing up as a host of various Capcom characters like Mega Man.

Norimaro was created and voiced by comedian Kinashi Noritake. He was removed from all non-Japanese versions of the game due to Marvel Comics's reluctance to associate itself and its characters with him.

Quote: "Wait a second... How'd I do that!?"

Appearances:

Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter (1997)

Sources:

Arcade-History.com's article on Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter

Wikipedia's article on Norimaro

Dingo Jellybean's Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter FAQ on GameSpot

Let's talk about style. Do we want style to be consistent? For example, do we want game titles to be either all italicized or all Roman?

If so, is everybody but me following a consistent style? :roll: If they are, then I'll just change my bios to fit in. Otherwise, we can go through all the bios and make style and format consistent; we just need to decide on a standard.

EDIT: And Polo, why are you heavily rewriting other people's bios?

Let's talk about style. Do we want style to be consistent? For example, do we want game titles to be either all italicized or all Roman?

If so, is everybody but me following a consistent style? :roll: If they are, then I'll just change my bios to fit in. Otherwise, we can go through all the bios and make style and format consistent; we just need to decide on a standard.

I've been doing a consistent layout for all my bios; the italicizing were because I remembered that Larry did so in the pilot bio when he uploaded it. Take that one as the final layout style.

And while we're on the subject of new mascots, I'll be happy to write a Jade (Beyond Good and Evil) and Raz (Psychonauts) bio, provided new mascots are uploaded. Could that be done?

Re new mascots, djp's in charge of Photoshopping and adding them, so you can talk to him about it. The NWG mascot I made myself, but I wouldn't count on his (joke) bio being implemented ('cause it's just for fun).

And you're right Linearity, I've been wholly rewriting others' bios, not just editing them in small spots. Complaints like yours are exactly what I've feared since doing so, which is partly why I've been slow to post them. Adapting every bio to my succinct style, while helpful, is tiring besides. At the rate I'm going, it would take us into next year before we wrap things up. But I must thank you for calling me out before I "took over" the project.

As I said in my PM, Dafydd hasn't been in the mood lately and those who posted a handful of bios might not return for various reasons. It gets lonely and frustrating being the only active participant sometimes (but we all know that). I AM glad you're back. Would you care to be the one to edit old bios for spelling and grammar and whatnot? I'll gladly confine my high standards to my own bios (speaking of, I don't mind if we leave out my "revisions").

Can anybody else find a quote for Norimaro?

Sure, I'll try looking for one.

EDIT: Found some quotes from the first FAQ/Move List on this page (take your pick):

"Gee... this looks so much harder in the comic book."

"Hmm... I thought you were taller..."

"I've only got a quarter! ...Sorry"

"It's like I'm a Super Hero or something!"

"That was one crazy fight!"

"These are some of earth's mightiest heroes!"

"Wow! I didn't know I could do that!?"

"Wait a second... How'd I do that!?"

Finally, Dafydd, could you rewrite the topic in the first post as "x bios left to write" instead of "nearing completion?" That would give readers a better idea of how close to finished we are.

Oh, and Liontamer! On the Wiki page, it's "appearances," not "appearences." :wink:

I'd be happy to proofread and edit. I'll bring them in tune with the Wiki style, as well. I've got some free time ahead, so this will work well.

They'll probably all fit in a text file that I can host on my ISP web space and link to from here; that'll save forum pages. I'll use the quote function to get the BBCode.

EDIT: Thanks, Polo, for the quote. And for all of your hard work; you're all over that list on page 1.

Also, should we indeed talk to DJP about requested mascots? It'd be fitting after all the work we've done for the site.

I got your message, Dafydd. When Linearity contacted me, she said that she needed bios for all the Darkstalkers characters. Don't know if that meant she wasn't happy with hers or what, but that's what she told me back in March.

I never addressed this before: I didn't mention that I had done some DS bios because I wanted not to discourage you from writing bios. I also figured that with your much broader experience with Darkstalkers, you'd write better ones.

What did you decide to do? I see several versions of the Darkstalkers bios. Should I use the second versions? Also, did you use any of my work? Because if you did not, then I'll write just you in as the author in the proofread lump file.

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I'll edit the topic title and change bowman to roberto, and add the new mascots. That's all I have time for right now.

Are there any mascots with bios that have been replaced by the new ones? #101 didn't have a bio, so I don't care much for that one... but are there others?

I like the new #105 better, btw :P

Oh, and, Polo, I would like to compliment you on your "Nice Work Guy" bio, but it'd just result in a horrible pun, so I'll pass.

Also, it seems that a collective bio, similar to the Coop's one for the Darkstalkers characters, is in order for the Marvel Characters as well. I know they're not part of the same "universe", but as I remember it, their appearances in the comic books seemed rather combinable.

Okay, here's a revision of your MMX (full armor) bio, Dafydd.

Mega Man X (full armor)

Capcom

ocr4_mascot30.jpg

This article concerns Mega Man X's robotic upgrades. For X's backstory, consult the Mega Man X bio.

Bio

Knowing he wouldn't live to see the day his latest android would awaken, Dr. Thomas Light crafted armor upgrades to prepare Mega Man X for the battles he would fight, storing them in human-sized capsules. In the series, when X finds a capsule, a hologram of the late doctor appears within and informs X of the enhancement awaiting him. Once the Reploid steps in, beams course around his form and boost one of four sections of his anatomy, now shining white:

Legs - When Dashing, X leans forward in a brief "sliding" boost. The Air Dash lets him do it without solid ground beneath his feet. With the right upgrade he can even Hover in midair.

Helmet - Scouting his surroundings using the radar-ific Item Tracer, X might spot a power-up lurking behind a false wall or a hidden passage. If nothing else, his brainpower can show in him headbutting breakable blocks to find some of these secrets.

X-Buster - Upgrades such as the Double and Plasma Charges inject X's arm cannon with thicker walls of compressed, wavelength-spreading shots. With longer charging times comes the ability to Stock each progressive charge level for later use. And depending on a defeated Maverick's Special Weapon adapted to his arm cannon, X can charge and release something more.

Body - Enhanced torso plating reduces the damage X takes from enemy 'bots. One upgrade, the Gravity Crush, collectively stores damage and releases it with genocidal results. In later games, whole armor designs can be assembled to work in tandem with the blue bomber's other systems. For example, the Force Armor maintains X's ability to charge Special Weapons, while donning the girthy Gaia Armor lets him push heavy blocks by Dashing into them.

Combined, X's arsenal helps him match the ever-growing might of the Mavericks. Pictured above is X's full armor appearance in Mega Man X2.

Quote: *blink*

Selected Game Appearances

SUPER NINTENDO

Mega Man X (1993)

Mega Man X2 (1994)

Mega Man X3 (1995)

PLAYSTATION

Mega Man X4 (1997)

Mega Man X5 (2000)

Mega Man X6 (2001)

References

Wikipedia - Mega Man X

Gamefaqs - Mega Man X2 FAQs and Walkthroughs

Mega Man X Game Manuals

Err: Argh! Overflow

Meh. I was actually happy with my own version of this. Besides... there's no need to be this specific, is there? This really verges on a walkthrough. It's very clear and easy to read, but it's also a bit too comprehensive, imho.

I mean... thanks for trying, but I think this wasn't really necessary. :( Why don't you try polishing the bios instead of re-writing them, by the way? I mean, some of them might as well be re-written (like my Doom Guy bio), but most of them are ok, save for some odd sentence here and there.

I really appreciate your efforts, but I think your time would be more wisely spent improving the bios instead of replacing them. Even though - and I might as well say this out loud - your bios are probably the best written around here, it'll be no fun if you're the one who wrote them ALL. :wink: Like you said, you won't mind if you leave your revisions out, but then again, doing so would also mean you're wasting your time, and that's not what I want.

I'm also sorry for not doing anything useful lately. I have this ball of string with knots on it and I need to prioritize the knots that are forming around my neck before I start with the ones around... other body parts. ...Nevermind, bad metaphor. :roll:

I'm not going to write bios because of my poor English (otherwise I would do some because there are some characters I love in the left ones), but I'm going to point out a very basic thing:

20. Sakura

80. Iori

Sakura Kasugano

Iori Yagami

A couple of last names can't hurt :)

Dafydd, your feelings are understandable. In truth, I felt overwhelmed covering X's different leg / helmet / arm / body upgrades, and I was considering asking if it's too long - but I guess I have my answer.

I am (sadly) a bit of a perfectionist and can get mired in more than I plan to. When I think about having a hand in writing or editing something, I want to present it as polished as possible. "This sounds stunted; these two ideas can flow together; leave this out because it's non-canonical and slows down the reader (etc.)." But at the same time it hurts (irl) when I'm reordering words or changing sentences written by the original person, even if I tell myself it'll "look better" in the long run. It's a lot of extra work and stress.

So I think it's best if I stick to reporting on untouched mascots and let Linearity handle the job of "editing" others' bios. I call Kyo Kusanagi (41) and Iori Yagami (80).

Kyo Kusanagi

SNK

ocr4_mascot41.jpg

Bio

Kyo Kusanagi is the poster child of the plus-populated roster in the King of Fighters series. He inherited his ancestors' pyrokinetic powers that helped seal away the multiheaded dragon Orochi centuries before. By Japanese standards, Kyo's prestigious pride comes off as conceited. Of course, it's all part of being a visibly avid contestant in the annual King of Fighters tournament.

Recurrent opponents include Iori Yagami, who rivals Kyo with his own bloodline and brand of flames. Then there's the enigmatic host, whose identity and motives remain hidden until the strongest fighter is proven. Sure of himself, Kyo mixes his clan's fiery martial arts with Chinese boxing to uppercut, kick, and toast his way up the ranks.

Quote: "I fan the eternal flame of victory!"

Selected Game Appearances

NEO-GEO

The King of Fighters '94 (1994)

The King of Fighters '96 (1996)

The King of Fighters 2000 (2000)

NEO-GEO POCKET COLOR

SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium (1999)

ARCADE

The King of Fighters: Neowave (2004)

PLAYSTATION 2

KOF: Maximum Impact (2004)

References

Wikipedia - Kyo Kusanagi

The King of Fighters 10th Anniversary Official Web Site - Kyo Kusanagi

Fighters Generation - Kyo Kusanagi