(il)legalsounds Selling OCR Albums

Mirby

That would be plausible... until they realized that none of the proceeds actually make it TO the artists.

How would they realize this? The site says they do pay the artists. I guess when it comes right down to it, you have to trust that sites actually do what they say they do. That's something that I've grown weary about concerning sites and people in general, you never know what they do and there's no way to tell if they're doing things properly. It's hard to trust the internet. But for someone who doesn't know about OCR and comes across "Legal Sounds", it sounds like a legitimate enough name for someone who isn't fluent in internet.

Not sure what I am even trying to argue at this point, just that you can't trust internetsites, which has been established I think. OC ReMix is a pretty trustworthy looking site, but it might look even more trustworthy if they release the new site design :-D

Someone posted a very interesting comment on that FB page:

The domain legalsounds.com is registered through tucows.com. Filing a complaint against tucows—especially a DMCA takedown filing if you have the resources—is the surest way to get legalsounds.com taken down before the same database merely pops up again under another name.
Might be wrth investigating...
OCR comes up pretty highly in search results.
And these are the first results I get. :lol:

The arranger owns the copyright to their arrangement. But the original composition is owned by the copyright owner. If it's "Streets of Rage 2," it's Yuzo Koshiro. If it's "Koopa's Theme," it's Nintendo. If it's "Chrono Trigger," it's Square-Enix. And if it's "Xenogears," it's Yasunori Mitsuda. It just all depends on what the composer, the purchaser and the publisher all decided.

That said, it's illegal for this company to do what it does. And it's just wrong to have a site that's called "LegalSounds" when it is in fact NOT legal and it is deceiving to the customer because they're under the impression that they are not doing anything wrong. /runon

The Tucows thing sounds like a good idea!

The arranger owns the copyright to their arrangement. But the original composition is owned by the copyright owner. If it's "Streets of Rage 2," it's Yuzo Koshiro. If it's "Koopa's Theme," it's Nintendo. If it's "Chrono Trigger," it's Square-Enix. And if it's "Xenogears," it's Yasunori Mitsuda. It just all depends on what the composer, the purchaser and the publisher all decided.

That said, it's illegal for this company to do what it does. And it's just wrong to have a site that's called "LegalSounds" when it is in fact NOT legal and it is deceiving to the customer because they're under the impression that they are not doing anything wrong. /runon

The Tucows thing sounds like a good idea!

A semicolon might have solved the run-on there a bit.

Also, I agree. Contact Tucows; since the site's not willing to compromise (they literally just deleted Lucid Dreaming from their servers, not bothering to remove any links as shown in pu_freak's page there) or do anything at all with this recent revelation, go over their heads.