Tri-fecta: A Motoi Sakuraba Tribute Album [Recruiting & Refocusing]

SwordBreaker

No offense intended to you and I think this is the greatest album idea in recent time.. but..

I personally think this should be multiple albums instead of one huge album.

Star Ocean deserves its own album.

Eternal Sonata deserves its own album.

Even Resonance of Fate could use an album.

You don't gotta have 9 discs. Why not... 1 disc? Or 2 discs?

Why do an entire gigantic album at once? Why not start with a specific game and run with that, finish it -- 1 or 2 discs of Star Ocean. Or hell, do a whole star ocean thing with like 4 discs that covers all of the games...

What you're doing is saying like.... let's make an album of one of the most prolific J-Composers out there today... It's as silly as trying to stuff 10 final fantasies worth of Nobuo Uematsu onto 1 album. No offense intended man!

I'd love to see a Star Ocean album, maybe even a Star Ocean album series (in the vain of FF5 OCR series). Why can't it be done? Why? At any rate I think if you go forward with all of the Motoi stuff, you're going to bite off more than you can chew and possibly hit a wall. I always recommend trying to do a smaller album for people because they don't realize how long it will take, how hard it will be to get artists involved, and how hard it will be to get updates from said artists. :|

9 Discs???

BAJESUS.

Why not just like a few select tracks like with the official albums that have like 10-20 tracks eh?

Do like a bunch of arrange albums that have select tracks.

Some songs just can't be arranged by people in ways that won't butcher them.

Like town themes. Turning a town theme into like a Heavy metal song, or a Trance song would just imo not work.

yah/hate me <3

@Brandon: If I heard the OP right, it's not ALL of Motoi's games, though. It's only the ones developed by Tri-Crescendo that have him as the composer that are up for consideration. While that is probably still a lot, it's much less than if it was a straight-up all Motoi album.

And OP, last I checked, just seems to be interested in doing Star Ocean and the two Baten Kaitos games. Though I do agree, Eternal Sonata deserves its own album....

9 Discs???

BAJESUS.

Why not just like a few select tracks like with the official albums that have like 10-20 tracks eh?

Do like a bunch of arrange albums that have select tracks.

Some songs just can't be arranged by people in ways that won't butcher them.

Like town themes. Turning a town theme into like a Heavy metal song, or a Trance song would just imo not work.

yah/hate me <3

Bonkers, that's exactly what I'm doing. I wish you would read the first post, man. Everything you said here are my exact intentions. I'm not doing a 9 disc album. My idea is the following: the best of a.k.a. selected tracks from three game series: Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile and Baten Kaitos. I'm not including all tracks composed by Sakuraba...only the ones in games by Tri-Ace and Tri-Crescendo. And if you see from the first post, I'm selecting specific tracks to arrange, not all tracks. So this concept may end up fitting 4 discs only. Also, I want selected tracks to feel true to the original feel. Yes, no town themes turned into heavy metal. Not that extreme of a jump.

No offense intended to you and I think this is the greatest album idea in recent time.. but..

I personally think this should be multiple albums instead of one huge album.

Why do an entire gigantic album at once? Why not start with a specific game and run with that, finish it -- 1 or 2 discs of Star Ocean. Or hell, do a whole star ocean thing with like 4 discs that covers all of the games...

I'd love to see a Star Ocean album, maybe even a Star Ocean album series (in the vain of FF5 OCR series). Why can't it be done? Why?

Again, I'm not doing 9 discs literally. But I know what you're getting at from a figurative point of view. While I agree with your concerns, as I explained many times before, I want this album to have a theme in addition to be a Motoi Sakuraba tribute. And that theme is that it must be a series he worked on which has been developed by Tri-Ace and Tri-Crescendo. That's why I'm restricting the content. I want to have a set track-list and a theme going on. After all, it is in the official rules of making an OCR album. Have a theme going on. Have a tracklist with no disjointed ideas or picks. I'm just following the site's rules.

That being said, I love your idea of following the vein of OCR's Final Fantasy V. Dividing up this big concept into separate mini-albums is something that I'm totally down with. For example, going by the theme of this album, we can divide it up into three releases: a Valkyrie Profile album, a Baten Kaitos album, and Star Ocean album. And again, if there's enough interest in this project, we can make a fourth bonus mini-album with the miscellaneous stuff not under my rules, including games such as Eternal Sonata, Resonance of Fate, Radiata Stories, Wolf Team games, etc. But let's get the main series out of the way before we jump the gun.

Any Updates? Starting on the Star Ocean Tracklist?

I'm really sorry for not being around for the past few week or so. Been really busy with work. Since I haven't gotten any further suggestions from Valkyrie Profile, I'll open up the Star Ocean part right now for suggestions. I'll update the track-list soon, but for now, feel free to suggest your favorites. I'm particularly interested in suggestions from Star Ocean 3 since that's the only one I'm not familiar with at all. I only know of one track that I love from that game: Fallen Leaves.

Yes, no town themes turned into heavy metal. Not that extreme of a jump.

Well damn! Where's the fun in that? :-P

What you could do is approach this similar to BadAss or the FF5 project and release it in volumes, rather than the SoS/VoTL style of dropping a load of tracks all at once. That may actually work pretty well given the subject being tributed here.

Well damn! Where's the fun in that? :-P

What you could do is approach this similar to BadAss or the FF5 project and release it in volumes, rather than the SoS/VoTL style of dropping a load of tracks all at once. That may actually work pretty well given the subject being tributed here.

Yup. As I mentioned in my reply to Brandon, I'm totally down with that! It's a very practical idea for a project in a grand scale such as this. I just updated the first post with this idea. :)

Updated the first post with my initial track listing for the Star Ocean series with links to sources on YouTube. It's still doesn't contain my complete and finalized picks. I'm pretty much satisfied with my Star Ocean 4 picks but have not completed the rest of the series. Again, feel free to suggest your favorites but what I'm really looking for is help with Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time. I only know of one awesome track but in general I'm just not familiar with the OST at all since it's the only installment I haven't played.

Once that's out of the way, we can start the recruitment phase...but as we've been discussing and mentioned in the first post, it looks like we're going for releasing this project in volumes like OCR's Final Fantasy V. The question is, which series do we start with first in terms of production phase? I'm all ears, but leaning towards Baten Kaitos first since it has the most underrated and under-remixed music...and that's what I'd like to push out to be remixed first. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Updated the first post with my initial track listing for the Star Ocean series with links to sources on YouTube. It's still doesn't contain my complete and finalized picks. I'm pretty much satisfied with my Star Ocean 4 picks but have not completed the rest of the series. Again, feel free to suggest your favorites but what I'm really looking for is help with Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time. I only know of one awesome track but in general I'm just not familiar with the OST at all since it's the only installment I haven't played.

Once that's out of the way, we can start the recruitment phase...but as we've been discussing and mentioned in the first post, it looks like we're going for releasing this project in volumes like OCR's Final Fantasy V. The question is, which series do we start with first in terms of production phase? I'm all ears, but leaning towards Baten Kaitos first since it has the most underrated and under-remixed music...and that's what I'd like to push out to be remixed first. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sounds like a good idea. I've only played Baten Kaitos once or twice, so I'm not particularly familiar with the music, but it's a pretty awesome game!

Btw, once you're finished the final tracklist, I would suggest doing some formatting of the first post (especially bolding headlines and linking the sources to the track titles). The way it is right now is kind of hard to read.

Btw, once you're finished the final tracklist, I would suggest doing some formatting of the first post (especially bolding headlines and linking the sources to the track titles). The way it is right now is kind of hard to read.

Noob question, I don't see any integrated tools for formatting while posting in the OCR forums. Is there any way to access them or will I have to code everything manually? Is there a legend some place so that I know how to bold and link 'cause I kind of suck at those. EDIT: NEVER MIND. Found it. :)

But I still have a track from my favorite Star Ocean (being the first), Crevice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkmTG9X13Sw
Oh, by the way, you need Incarnation of Devil for SO2 :D

Noted for both tracks. :)

Edited by SwordBreaker

Okay, I've updated the first post and taken a preemptive strike; we are now recruiting for Volume 1 - Baten Kaitos Series! It had a full play-list done awhile back so I figured that we're not in a rush to complete the track-listing of the other series since we're not going to be working on them in the near future, but suggestions are always welcome.

Check the first post for more details and start claiming those awesome tracks, remixers. Make me proud. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've registered just for this message.

I love this idea, I'm even surprised there is so few remixes of these albums, so I encourage you to continue.

I can't do music but I can help you choosing tracks.

You've choosen too much tracks for Star Ocean 4 whereas it's the cheapest Star Ocean soundtrack imho.

For Star Ocean 2 there is many very good town theme, maybe you could add one or two.

Pure a stream : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzShumL0Ous

Weathercock :

Cuddle :

or not town

Pyroxene : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzD5MnpTZ2w

Teary : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR-ox-4V0IE

White the Heart : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLYsbCaf7K8

For Star Ocean 3 I've tried to make a pick of interesting tracks.

So Alone, Be Sorrow :

Influence of Truth Appearance :

Rust Color :

Cutting Edge Of Notion :

Into A Storm Not Memorized :

Calm Mind Reflected in the Pupil :

Divine Indignation :

Reflected Moon :

For Baten Kaitos 1 I regret that Addressing Stars is missing : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0EWL7WJZJU

And Tenkai Flower Temple too : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyyJ_5oeiAk

Or it's Baten Kaitos 2 version The Hall Of All Creation : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLiw025I8AM

Edited by Fantomas

We're going to get the Baten Kaitos series done first and aim for an OC ReMix release similar to Final Fantasy V.

Not sure what percentage of OC ReMixers' population are hardcore Motoi Sakuraba fans, let alone Baiten Kaitos fans specifically...

Don't misunderstand me here: you obviously have good intentions, great motivation and this endeavor is highly commendable in itself.

But you're underestimating the work, time and commitment involved in releasing even a 15 tracks album through OCR (let alone a massive 3 discs set).

By all means, I'm not saying this cannot be achieved. Simply that it will be much harder than populating a tracklist and waiting for people to show up.

Making plans is one thing, but the role of a director is to guide people toward a clearly defined goal. Alas, the OP doesn't really give off that impression atm.

This plan of biblical proportions might generate excitement among die-hard fans, but at the same time makes it extremely hard for any non-initiated to jump in.

Keep the full 3 volumes tracklist on a Word document at home, and only bring other games to the table when it's their turn to shine.

I'd advise restricting your OP to album concept, project guidelines and disc-1 tracklist, with source links and color code. ;)

Right now I'm trying to aim for an OC ReMix approval so we can get more exposure in the projects forum.

If there's not enough interest to work on this series in 6 months, we'll move onto another.

Just wanted to point out that 6 months is an awful lot of time to waste on speculations.

You'll have a hard time getting approval to move to the Project subforums if you can't gather the necessary interest (and participation) here.

This requires at least five posted mixers onboard, a handful of wips with solid direction and preferably a posted mixer/staff member as co-director.

If you haven't already, consider actively recruiting and sending invitations to artists asap. Do not sit on your hands once the concept is defined.

Again, I'm not lashing out on you or anything. Just trying to save you a lot of trial and error in the long term.

Good luck with this. :-)

Not sure what percentage of OC ReMixers' population are hardcore Motoi Sakuraba fans, let alone Baiten Kaitos fans specifically...

Don't misunderstand me here: you obviously have good intentions, great motivation and this endeavor is highly commendable in itself.

But you're underestimating the work, time and commitment involved in releasing even a 15 tracks album through OCR (let alone a massive 3 discs set).

By all means, I'm not saying this cannot be achieved. Simply that it will be much harder than populating a tracklist and waiting for people to show up.

Making plans is one thing, but the role of a director is to guide people toward a clearly defined goal. Alas, the OP doesn't really give off that impression atm.

This plan of biblical proportions might generate excitement among die-hard fans, but at the same time makes it extremely hard for any non-initiated to jump in.

Keep the full 3 volumes tracklist on a Word document at home, and only bring other games to the table when it's their turn to shine.

I'd advise restricting your OP to album concept, project guidelines and disc-1 tracklist, with source links and color code. ;)

Just wanted to point out that 6 months is an awful lot of time to waste on speculations.

You'll have a hard time getting approval to move to the Project subforums if you can't gather the necessary interest (and participation) here.

This requires at least five posted mixers onboard, a handful of wips with solid direction and preferably a posted mixer/staff member as co-director.

If you haven't already, consider actively recruiting and sending invitations to artists asap. Do not sit on your hands once the concept is defined.

Again, I'm not lashing out on you or anything. Just trying to save you a lot of trial and error in the long term.

Good luck with this. :-)

Thanks for the suggestions! All very, very helpful. I took suggestions at first, which is why the concept transformed into focusing on one series eventually. I saw a lot of interest so I assumed that a lot of OCR fans are into Motoi Sakuraba...but since the thread has gone quiet for a bit, it's sort of disappointing and I feel a bit demotivated. I admit that I had too much of a broad scope at first...so yeah, the other game series should take a back-seat like you suggested.

Sadly, nobody replied to my first wave of invites so I'm going to send more soon. I will definitely need a co-director of sorts to help with quality assurance and WIP. Since you're here though, are you available for a track or two for Baten Kaitos?

I've registered just for this message.

I love this idea, I'm even surprised there is so few remixes of these albums, so I encourage you to continue.

I can't do music but I can help you choosing tracks.

You've choosen too much tracks for Star Ocean 4 whereas it's the cheapest Star Ocean soundtrack imho.

For Star Ocean 2 there is many very good town theme, maybe you could add one or two.

Pure a stream : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzShumL0Ous

Weathercock :

Cuddle :

or not town

Pyroxene : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzD5MnpTZ2w

Teary : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR-ox-4V0IE

White the Heart : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLYsbCaf7K8

For Star Ocean 3 I've tried to make a pick of interesting tracks.

So Alone, Be Sorrow :

Influence of Truth Appearance :

Rust Color :

Cutting Edge Of Notion :

Into A Storm Not Memorized :

Calm Mind Reflected in the Pupil :

Divine Indignation :

Reflected Moon :

For Baten Kaitos 1 I regret that Addressing Stars is missing : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0EWL7WJZJU

And Tenkai Flower Temple too : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyyJ_5oeiAk

Or it's Baten Kaitos 2 version The Hall Of All Creation : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLiw025I8AM

Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely helpful with the Star Ocean ones, particularly SO3. As for the BK ones, the track-list is already full...but we'll try to look for ones to swap or something. No promises. Spread the word. We need more interest in the project!

• 2 weeks later...
SwordBreaker, you are awesome! Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean is in my top 10 favorite video games.

I'm not very experienced at remixing, but I'd love to take a track, if you'll have me. My skills are mainly in the orchestral genre.

It's an awesome game indeed, man. When it comes to unique RPGs, Baten Kaitos is the first which comes to mind. Same goes when talking about excellent game soundtracks. :)

Go ahead, man! The stage is yours. Take your pick. I'd love to hear what you'll come up with and give you feedback. Any particular track in mind that you want to reserve?

Don't forget. Spread the word. Use the sig. We want to make this project a reality!

I'm gonna be honest - Baiten Kaitos sounds like it might be too obscure. Even a more relatively known RPG series like Star Ocean might be too obscure. I personally think even the more visible Tales series is too obscure. I think your best chance of getting Sakuraba work on the album is to let mixers be open to check out the music on their own and claim something of his work to try to rearrange.