Tri-fecta: A Motoi Sakuraba Tribute Album [Recruiting & Refocusing]

SwordBreaker

I'm gonna be honest - Baiten Kaitos sounds like it might be too obscure. Even a more relatively known RPG series like Star Ocean might be too obscure. I personally think even the more visible Tales series is too obscure. I think your best chance of getting Sakuraba work on the album is to let mixers be open to check out the music on their own and claim something of his work to try to rearrange.

I really wish you would've spoke earlier. I sort of had it open to interpretation before as you suggested and had a track list to direct people to my favorite tracks on Sakuraba music with a common theme of keeping it to the Tri games, but most commenters advised me that it was too big of a project to manage and put out in a logical timeframe, which is why I opted in going for the volumes route...and the reason I picked Baten Kaitos is just too good to stay obscure and overlooked. If there's anything I've learned from OCR, is that no music is too obscure. Unsung Heroes had a lot of obscure material, but it got done. Radical Dreamers is practically obscure as it's a Japan only game for the Stellaview, and it got done too. Why not Baten Kaitos? I really want to try and push for this direction as much as I can. The source tunes are right in front of you and they're absolutely awesome. If we can get this done, it can open doors to my grand scheme of tackling Star Ocean in a potential Volume 2 and Valkyrie Profile in Volume 3...but that's not my goal now.

That being said, I really appreciate your input and want your expertise for this project if you're available. Are you willing to co-direct or serve as a creative consultant if you're free?

I really wish you would've spoke earlier. I sort of had it open to interpretation before as you suggested and had a track list to direct people to my favorite tracks on Sakuraba music with a common theme of keeping it to the Tri games, but most commenters advised me that it was too big of a project to manage and put out in a logical timeframe, which is why I opted in going for the volumes route...and the reason I picked Baten Kaitos is just too good to stay obscure and overlooked. If there's anything I've learned from OCR, is that no music is too obscure. Unsung Heroes had a lot of obscure material, but it got done. Radical Dreamers is practically obscure as it's a Japan only game for the Stellaview, and it got done too. Why not Baten Kaitos? I really want to try and push for this direction as much as I can. The source tunes are right in front of you and they're absolutely awesome. If we can get this done, it can open doors to my grand scheme of tackling Star Ocean in a potential Volume 2 and Valkyrie Profile in Volume 3...but that's not my goal now.

That being said, I really appreciate your input and want your expertise for this project if you're available. Are you willing to co-direct or serve as a creative consultant if you're free?

Radical Dreamers has the benefit of being a small album of a game from an extremely popular series.

As for assistance, the most I can give is as an assistant director as sorts, but it all depends on how flexible you are/receptive to advice & how committed you are. Send me a PM.

I'm gonna be honest - Baiten Kaitos sounds like it might be too obscure. Even a more relatively known RPG series like Star Ocean might be too obscure. I personally think even the more visible Tales series is too obscure. I think your best chance of getting Sakuraba work on the album is to let mixers be open to check out the music on their own and claim something of his work to try to rearrange.

Oh, the irony. Right after I've talked with SwordBreaker to help refocus his project, King Bahamut lauches Mega Flare and crashes the Highwind. :-P

Seriously though Wes, this actually surprised me since you were supportive of SBP at its inception. And DH was much more obscure than Baten Kaitos.

That being said, I fully understand there's a world of difference between official projects and regular ones.

Still, it's weird that you're recommending SwordBreaker stray away from his idea and opt for a "free-for-all" instead.

I mean, cause the guidelines discourage making a collection of songs, in favor of coming up with a clearly defined concept.

So unless there was a recent change of policy, this implies that projects about non-mainstream games shouldn't be attempted.

Could you or someone from the staff shed some light on that sensible matter. That would be much appreciated. :)

Since you're here...up for a track or two, Brandon? Any type of advice is good too. You've been helpful throughout the whole thread. :)

I don't know how helpful I've been but I appreciate the thoughts. :-P

You did PM me etc etc but I just want to say there's probably a Star Ocean theme out there I could cover at some point, possibly 'Shotgun Formation' from The Last Hope. I love Star Ocean too much I'd love to see you just start out with Volume 1: Star Ocean, and then go forward from there once that is done/released. :-P

Anyway yeah, got lots of stuff to make, but this will be on my radar for as long as it is still going :-P

It's my personal opinion - first for a project to be successful (come to fruition), you have to have enough interest. You can still have cohesion.

Fair enough sir. Not what I was after, but it will do. :)

I'd love to see you just start out with Volume 1: Star Ocean, and then go forward from there once that is done/released.

BS has a point on this one. Star Ocean or even Valkyrie Profile will most likely get you more hits than Baten Kaitos.

Also, people will be more inclined to see the end of this journey if they've already worked with you on games they know/love.

Fair enough sir. Not what I was after, but it will do. :)

BS has a point on this one. Star Ocean or even Valkyrie Profile will most likely get you more hits than Baten Kaitos.

Also, people will be more inclined to see the end of this journey if they've already worked with you on games they know/love.

Sorry for the late reply. So you guys are suggesting that I change up the project and start off with Star Ocean instead? I'm all for it, but I fear that this would confuse the people I've made contact with and viewers of this thread. What do you guys think? Should I give Baten Kaitos a more solid effort first? The problem is that I asked which game series we should start with as the thread developed, kept it open for a week but nobody replied to me, which I why I took the initiative to start with Baten Kaitos.

Sorry for the late reply. So you guys are suggesting that I change up the project and start off with Star Ocean instead? I'm all for it, but I fear that this would confuse the people I've made contact with and viewers of this thread. What do you guys think? Should I give Baten Kaitos a more solid effort first? The problem is that I asked which game series we should start with as the thread developed, kept it open for a week but nobody replied to me, which I why I took the initiative to start with Baten Kaitos.

Well first off, the replies to this thread are at the mercy of it being hidden in the recruitment forum which next to nobody checks. Heck, I shouldn't be here either. Cause it seems like every time I come here I am trying to volunteer for something. :tomatoface:

I could tell you right now that if you made Volume 1 focus entirely on Star Ocean, and let people claim whatever they want in the style of Maverick Rising -- but don't allow duplicate claims -- it would kick a ton of ass. And I would try to get on it at least a few times before it reached the end of production.

And yeah, you'd need to leave this forum and recruit some remixers actively, or else the chances of it being an "OCR Album" get lower and lower. :-o

Well first off, the replies to this thread are at the mercy of it being hidden in the recruitment forum which next to nobody checks. Heck, I shouldn't be here either. Cause it seems like every time I come here I am trying to volunteer for something. :tomatoface:

I could tell you right now that if you made Volume 1 focus entirely on Star Ocean, and let people claim whatever they want in the style of Maverick Rising -- but don't allow duplicate claims -- it would kick a ton of ass. And I would try to get on it at least a few times before it reached the end of production.

And yeah, you'd need to leave this forum and recruit some remixers actively, or else the chances of it being an "OCR Album" get lower and lower. :-o

Good points all around....although I didn't know that nobody checks the recruitment forums. Been making a lot of PMs, but yeah I'll try getting out of OCR to recruit too like you suggested. Considering Dwelling of Duels 'cause I love the stuff they pump out every month. :)

I just want to have more feedback from users here before I drastically change anything. Because I'll be put in a pickle of changing the albums's direction more frequently than one can imagine. Luckily, we're technically still in the inception phase so I won't get a lot of flak for whatever happens.

I really want to give Baten Kaitos a good run though, despite being relatively niche. These games have kick-ass soundtracks. I don't know if I have done enough to push it, but I'm trying my best in the realms of these forums.

What does everyone else think?

Edited by SwordBreaker

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

You guys are going to kill me for this, but I'm forced to change the direction of the project (again) due to low interest. Thought long and hard and decided that this is the best course of action. I tried following the OCR guidelines in having a project concept, but certain limitations turn off a lot of people. So instead, I'm keeping the tracklist open to choices by the remixer within one unified concept: games composed by Motoi Sakuraba under the guise of Tri-Ace and Tri-Crescendo. That's all you need to do; pick and chose from the many tracks under this banner.

The first post has been edited to reflect this major change. New sigbanners coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Any progress on this album? I'd love to join the project, I'd like to claim
. Also, is this project now solely focusing on Baten Kaitos?

Hey, man. Welcome aboard! House of Cards it is. Excellent choice btw.

Regarding the project itself, there has been a lot of internal and external discussion on its direction, so sorry for the confusion. The first page has everything revised and up to date so please read up on that. To answer your question though; no, it's not just Baten Kaitos. I welcome any game composed by Sakuraba and developed by Tri-Ace and Tri-Cresendo, but we're limiting the album to 20 tracks or so in order to have focus.

Progress will begin once more recruits join in and claim stuff. So if you know anyone from you end, feel free to invite him/her.

What, no golden sun!?! I see the title of the thread, and i get really excited, b\c he did the music for golden sun, one of my all time fav games... doesnt get much love lately, not after unleash never took off. Anyways,im not trying to be too critical, but why are you limiting the games? Is it to keep the album focused, because I can respect that.

Edit: tales of symphonia too, man, youre killing me...

Edited by Coaltergeist

What, no golden sun!?! I see the title of the thread, and i get really excited, b\c he did the music for golden sun, one of my all time fav games... doesnt get much love lately, not after unleash never took off. Anyways,im not trying to be too critical, but why are you limiting the games? Is it to keep the album focused, because I can respect that.

Edit: tales of symphonia too, man, youre killing me...

Yeah, I'm basically limiting the games to keep the project focused and give it a certain theme. Tales games in particular are definitely a no-no since OCR has already done an excellent job in covering them with Summoning of Spirits. As for Golden Sun, who knows? I do see Golden Sun project threads around but they don't fit the theme of this concept. Maybe if we get it done, we can do a Volume 2 of sorts and include Golden Sun then.