OCR00462 - Heroes of Might & Magic II "The Meadows"

Ginnsu

Heroes of Might & Magic II 'The Meadows'

This is sweet. And do you know why it’s sweet? Because it’s a very nice Heroes of Might & Magic 2 mix, which just happens to be from a game I really like. Biased much? Yeah, probably, but this is still a very well done mix. I do have to say that there is a static sound that seems to coincide with the bird samples that I don’t like much and the snare (I think) drum doesn't seem to fit with the other instruments, besides that it is nice. Good work Orkybash.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Perhaps one of the most relaxing, mellow remixes I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. It all just flows together so naturally, almost perfectly.

But there's always been one thing that's bugged me about it, and that's the feeling I've heard it somewhere before...and considering I haven't actually played the game in question, it struck me as rather odd.

But then it suddenly occured to me as I was listening to this on a whim. The backbeat which begins at the 0:22 mark and continues throughout the song sounds almost identical to the backing track of t.A.T.u's song "30 Minutes." Which is no bad thing, honestly, just a wacky coincidence.

:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A bit overly midi sounding, but given the submit date, not a huge issue. It does seem a bit too short and underdeveloped; It's a nice and relaxing piece, but doesn't really evolve much throughout, with the exception of the percussion and a little bit of backing choir.

The constant guitar arpeggios Should have transitioned into chords and the driving rhythm given to something else for a bit. THe constant driving notes make it difficult to relax like the rest of the mix is trying to encourage us to do.

Overall though, it's a nice bit of work, though I don't think i've heard the original. The instruments mesh well together and there is a good feel for the outdoors. The counterpoint is well excecuted, and the beat adds texture without disturbing the feel.

• 1 year later...

The guitar arpeggios are very nice. Overall I like the sounds, even if they are midi-ish. They mesh well together. The piano and flute melody/countermelody is very well done. They fit together, but don't overcrowd. Both are relaxing. Drumwork is also nice.

Overall, the song stays pretty static in terms of development and motion. I could see this in a game anytime. Standalone, however, it loses something without that driving motion. That would be my only complaint. Nice work.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Although a decidedly simple tune, this has only grown more appreciable for me as the site's aged and taken on a deeper repertoire of more polished and sophisticated tracks. I'll echo the sentiments already expressed about wishing it were a little longer, but that's what looping is for, heh. A soft little tune to play at the end of a day. Or around a late spring dusk.

• 7 months later...

I'm very partial to mixes like this, and that is of course in spite of it sounding incredibly dated in terms of instrumentation. However, compared to a lot of these aged mixes, this has a specific focus on the simplicity of its chosen melody, enhancing it nicely with the percussion and choir pads. While this does veer more to the "midi with a drum track" approach, the end result is a surprisingly effective one. I'm not familiar with the source tune at all, but overall, I think this sort of treatment is actually beneficial to what it is. It's accentuated in all the right places, and doesn't trample the delicate simplicity by mining the material for gold which may or may not exist.

I can't give this full marks, because it does so many things that bad mixes do... but to also lump it in with those isn't right either. Concerning my dislike for midi mixes with an added drum track, this is an exception that proves the rule. But I do despise that bird call sample, guh.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00462 - Heroes of Might & Magic II "The Meadows"