OCR02379 - Willow "Weeping Willow"

djpretzel

As one of the few people who have not only played, but _owned_ the original cartridge, I can attest to the fact that it's pretty solid.

Nintendo hard of course, but the best was to describe it would be LttP way before the SNES came out. Same style of sword swing, lots of various items that all did stuff, and all had to be used. Had an interesting sword upgrade system. The game made no sense to me until I could properly read though. Way too much text.

• 3 weeks later...

I have appreciation for a lot of tracks on Unsung Heroes, but ilp0's track REALLY took that appreciation over the top in something that grew on me a lot since the release day - so much that this was one of the tracks I even picked to use in my video talking of my involvement about it. :)

But enough about myself - while I hadn't played the game (like most people), it still didn't need to have memories of playing the game to invoke power towards the track. It starts out pretty upbeat with plenty of schizophrenic writings, while still remaining very upbeat with the interpretations of the Village theme. Though, the amount of manipulations taken in with the Dialog theme managed to add more of a moody "evil is coming" quality towards it and can even tell of one's own struggle even in their happiest of times. This is especially emphasized with the ending, with the darkening chords and lower timbres adding in more of a feeling of despair that gives me the CHILLS every time I hear it - that's how potent I think the writing is!!

I can't say the Village theme is without its own moments - the lively interpretation at 3:26 with the acoustic guitar performance leading into the mad piano riff really shows as a strong example of ilp0's musicianship and does a lot to fit more of a frantic touch towards the track. In fact, I said in the IRC for the listening party that his style is filling the progressive void a lot in the community, though when someone else (was it KyleJCrb?) said that ilp0 is "his own genre", it does indeed make me think that he's benefitting the community in a very unique way, both with writing, ideas and growing sound quality over the years.

For that, I got to say that this is one of his best works IMO - capturing the source to an emotive quality, great musicianship, and it doesn't necessarily need a nostalgic connection to pack a punch concept-wise. I'm now really looking forward to see what he can provide in the time to come, because honestly, I can't imagine the wider community without him :D

• 4 weeks later...

The Unsung Heroes album is a fantastic album, and one of my personal favourites on this site... And this arrangement in particular stood out to me.

I love the mixture of instruments, the rhythmic play, the somewhat avant-garde key modulations at the beginning, the amount of expansion that was produced on such limited source material, and the all-in-all uplifting experience this mix provides, even during its "minor" parts.

Great job, ilp0!

• 3 months later...

I <3 ilp0's work, and this is no exception. My reaction after a few seconds was to seek out who did this track, as it possesses a lively yet fun soundscape and an interesting choice of instrumentation. The song moves around, showing darker sides, and breaks through that, shifting back to a more light style.

Overall a fun romp through.

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

For a game I could barely get into (I stunk! :c), I was going to say this was rather chipper music... until I saw the source. XD

Yeah, for village and talky themes this is perfect fit. Happy jazzy. c:

Some parts scared me, including the outro. n.n' Melancholy.

• 9 months later...

One of ilp0's best works and of the best tracks from UH. This track has so many change-ups and I like it. The intro, for example, sounds like an overture/prologue for some performance. But then the piece becomes more playful, definitely sounding like a dialog theme. Then it becomes a bit sad, then serious, then almost crazy, then back again sad/serious! What a wild and enjoyable ride.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02379 - Willow "Weeping Willow"