PRC211 - Wonderful Dragon Dance (Wonderboy III)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 211

PRCv9-03

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

After another tie in PRC209, the remixer had two sources to select in PRC211. DjMokram claimed victory, but this time he didn't let someone else have victory as well. So only one source this round.

This round's source is selected by DjMokram:

*Wonderboy III - the Dragon's Trap http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Boy_III:_The_Dragon%27s_Trap is a true gem for the Sega Master System and my absolute favorite game of the 8-bit era.

A game so ahead of its time in fact, that unbeknownst to the masses, it created the metroidvania genre before either of these two franchises.

Sporting a colorful presentation, large and detailed sprites, revolutionary game mechanics, tight controls, a vast world to explore with hidden treasures to find, as well as a jaw-dropping soundtrack composed by Shinichi Sakamoto, The Dragon's Trap is a one of a kind videogame masterpiece that has stood the test of time.

The biggest challenge was to pick only ONE source. Thankfully, every song has strong melodic content, so I let the nostalgia do the rest...

*SIDE-CRAWLER'S DANCE!*

PRC211.jpg

Source: Wonderboy III - The Dragon's Trap (SMS) - Side Crawler's Dance

MID

Youtube

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit.

When you are not able to login, don't click on the 'click here to submit an entry' button, but click on the 'you are not logged in' button on the right top of the screen.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC instructions

1. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 6 MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed (only as Bonus Mixes).
  2. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by MONDAY FEBRUARY 6th 2012 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time: check my signature (below) or the ThaSauce page for the exact time left.
  3. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix. You can post it in the thread if that doesn't work.
  4. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  5. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  6. The winner of last round can take part by submitting a bonus mix, but he cannot win the round and get any votes.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! For information about the previous contests.

PRC

Dj Mokram, you make me cry again. With joy. Damn it, I have to find time to do this round too, no excuses.

edit: Well, it's not my favourite theme from the game, but this and Castle of Illusion are my favourite Master System games.

edit's edit: There are a lot of parts in the piece that you can do just about anything with. I'll try to twist this into a darker piece, but we'll see how that goes (usually the idea I start with goes out of the window pretty soon. My previous round's entry started with an idea to do a (chip) prog piece).

--Eino

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. 4 entries are submitted.

To vote, you should do the following:

- Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries

- Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen.

- Fill in the rank of the entries from first to third.

- State a reasoning for it.

- Participants are encouraged to vote. They must vote for the other participants, they are not allowed to vote on their own song, but they receive an added first place if they vote.

DjMokram has a vote that counts twice.

You have until NEXT Wednesday, February 8th at 10:59 am ThaSauce time to vote, check my signature in the first post or simply the ThaSauce page for the exact time you have. It's longer as usual

The winner gets the right to choose the source tune for PRC212.

When you aren't able to log-in, click the You are not logged in button at the top right of the page instead of the Log in to Vote button below.

The songs:

Check the ThaSauce Page:

Jerry Terry - Don't Eat the Crab Dip

Sggod89 - Wonder Dogg (Gin & Dragoon Juice Remix)

Hakstock - Wonderboy's Dance

Evktalo - Crab Nebula Jam

It's results time.

The votes are in.

Total number of mixes - 4

Total number of votes - 5

Maximum Score - 18.

Evktalo and JerryTerry both received several point. The double first place only equalized Evktalo with JerryTerry, he now even has to share the the last place wooden spoon.

Sggod89 claimed 11 points and the second place.

And the winner is Hakstock with 14 points.

Congratulations Hakstock, a very nice PRC start. Voting was absolutely not straightforward, many different first place votes and not a big difference between first and last place.

One remark, Evktalo and Sggod89 both got a third place extra because Kaeso didn't fill in the third place.

Hakstock, you may select the next source for PRC212. Send your source to me by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Do that as soon as you can, but before Friday.

Remember to select a source with a MID file added. You may also select a source without a MID, but then you must provide a second source with a MID file.

You may select any source from any game, as long as it doesn't have an Overclocked Remix and it hasn't been on PRC before. Check it at the list:

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

You can find the votes with comments here:

http://compo.thasauce.net/votes/index/PRC211

Voted (hopefully in time) and if anyone is interested, my bonus mix is up on my site.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to sub entries. :smile:

Nice site. Can you post a download link here, then I will post it on the ThaSauce PRC 211 page to make it an official PRC Bonus Mix with my admin powers:)!!

And your vote was in, it let Evktalo break his last place wooden spoon in two parts, to give one part to JerryTerry.