OCR01383 - DarXide "Starman (don't lose yourself)"

djpretzel

ReMix aside painful. Female robot voice sounds awful. Some transitions aren´t bad. But the square wave used between 02:24 and 02:53 has noises of bad quality.

Personally I think it could be better. But anyway it´s good enough to be accepted here. I like the panning on the instrumentation and the end, so different.

STOP USING FL SLAYER!! PLEASE!!

ReMix aside painful. Female robot voice sounds awful. Some transitions aren´t bad. But the square wave used between 02:24 and 02:53 has noises of bad quality.

Personally I think it could be better. But anyway it´s good enough to be accepted here. I like the panning on the instrumentation and the end, so different.

STOP USING FL SLAYER!! PLEASE!!

Who's using FL Slayer??? i didn't use it in this track... and the square wave in the bridge section is a distorted square, so any distortion is intentional :)

Thanks for the comments :) keep em' coming :)

Who's using FL Slayer??? i didn't use it in this track...

I want to know what is that at 01:36. It could be the robot voice. But I think it is the Slayer so hidden.

...and the square wave in the bridge section is a distorted square, so any distortion is intentional :)

My complaint is not the distortion of the square. Never, because it is very cool. The square wave has something strange in terms of quality on this certain period. That´s the problem here.

Doh, this song started out pretty good. The first 10 seconds sounded really neet. But as soon as that cornball robot voice came in, I actually couldn't help but start laughing out loud. I would have liked to hear some more things done with the melody and some variety added to the mix. Your playfullness at 2:26 is one example, but I think you could have done a bit better than that. 4/10 my friend.

Ignore all previous reviews please.

For some reason, I have a thing for early 90s trance/pop/dance/club garbage.

I do think that the robot voice is extremely appropriate for the type of song this is. Don't listen to this thinking that you will get something other than it is.

An interesting piece, to say the least...

I like it, overall, though the second stanza of the vocals is incredibly difficult to make out. Had the words not been posted, I would likely have not realized there was a second part to the vocals, and even then, it took me a little bit of effort to register where they were.

I cannot say that this piece is one I feel is either good or bad; it is something which will appeal to me at some times, and yet I will dislike it at other times. However, it seems that it is, itself, a moody arrangement, so perhaps this is not so much an issue.

Now, as for the robot voice, I think it is actually a rather good addition to this mix. Perhaps, however, it could have been used for more than the vocals. The sound of it is as much a part of the song as is any other part of it, and some of the issue with it may be that the inclusion of the voice is so sudden. The beat of the music goes along very well, and then the robot voice jumps in with no warning, creating some rather interesting waves in the mix.

And, on the topic of sudden moments in this mix, its ending comes to mind. It happens so quickly that, on the first listen, I was actually caught off guard and had thought my player had stopped. You bring in a few new sounds, making it seem almost as if you are about to launch into an entirely new section of the mix, but just as some of the pieces become noticeable and the listener begins to focus on them, everything suddenly stops.

I can see where this can be used as a major part of the song, an ending to the craft in the game or an ending to the robot/traveler's journey in a rather abrupt (and likely dire) end, but for the piece itself, well... I feel it was just too sudden of an ending.

Overall, I feel that this is a good arrangement. Nice job on it.

I've never even heard of the system this game was released on, not to mention the game itself, but I really enjoyed this remix. I thought the female robovoice fit in well, and everything seemed very well put together. I don't normally download remixes of games I've never played, but I'm making an exception for this one. :)

Haha. Great fun. The vocals really make this remix, it wouldn´t be quite so good without them, but now that they´re there.. YEE-HAW! Vocoders ROCK!

Definitely not my style of music, but still this is just awesome. I´m in a good mood after hearing it. The vocoder is just fantastic and the lyrics are super. Awesome vibe.

Many great new remixes on OCR in the past few weeks or so..

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01383 - DarXide "Starman (don't lose yourself)"