DragonAvenger

Remixer name: some1namedjeff

E-mail:

UserID: 8601

Name of Game: Final Fantasy 2

Name of Arrangement: Preluematsude

Name of Individual Song Arranged: Prelude

Link to mix:

Artist Comments: The Prelude itself is literally just an arpeggiated chord progression, since this was before Uematsu had put any melody with it. So in this case, all you have to work with is a string of notes, which meant I had to use some creativity. I ended up taking the original arpeggio and mixing up the chords a bit, along with glitching the hell out of it. To this, I added some surrounding melodic material over some beats. Throw in some chord extensions, some live violins, then cook in the oven at 375 for 15 minutes, and you'll get something that sounds like an underwater cityscape. I kinda wanted the remix to be a gradual unfolding into the original chord progression, so you don't actually hear the full string of chords until the violins come in at 2:21, then the real heart of the piece happens at 3:00.

This mix is for Brandon's FF2 project.

Thanks,

-Jeff

---------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N67zMay2JTM

This is the kind of song that definitely takes a few listens to really wrap your head around. This is one of the most unconventional sound pallets I've encountered as a judge... On paper, you wouldn't think that hip-hop beats, heavily-modified vibraphones, live violin and a very liberal helping of dBlue Glitch would really click. In practice, though, the combination actually works spectacularly, and you couldn't have picked a better source to use it on.

If I had to critique anything I'd say that the glitching effects felt phoned and random at times, like there wasn't a ton of thought put into making it sync up well with the rest of the song. It doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the song, but a little more delicacy in applying glitch effects would have improved this, I think.

Still, well above the bar, thanks for throwing something truly unique and creative our way. I really appreciate listening to this sort of thing!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I had the chance to meet Jeff at Pax Prime this past year, who as those who know him, is super nice and took the time to introduce me to some other composers and friends.

Such a cool vibe here, way to bring it with one of the iconic video game sources. As mentioned in the sub letter, all that's here to work with is basically arpreggiated chords. Jeff really focused on creative processing to bring something unique to them. The live violin parts were a very nice touch that hinted at the melody that Uematsu would later add to the tune in later games.

Only real production crit I'll mention is that at certain times, there are a lot of resonating frequencies in the mides (like 1:55 for example), which is accented even more with the reverb settings, making things get crowded.

He says that the heart of the piece hits at 3:00, but I was sold long before then.

Also, I want that reverb plugin.

Yes