Interest in a Sonic Remix Competition?

SuperiorX

I would be totally in but I'm still training my skills... give me 5 years and I might finally do that Alter Emerald and final boss theme from sonic advanced 3 >_<

Duuuude lol!! Just enter! You can potentially learn a lot from competitions done in this manner. I feel like I can attribute a lot of my most relevant improvements on entering the megaman remix competitions. Granted I think I only finished one, but regardless, it was the inspiration to try something new in conjunction with having to know and understand my music theory to blend two themes together. Just enter bro =D

SO MUCH INTEREST!!! I've added a list to the first post of people who expressed interest and those who may be interested to help keep track.

So those of you who are interested, when would be the best times this year for everyone to participate? I was thinking late spring/summer. To get an idea of the scope of time involved... if we have 16 participants, we'd have two 8 person brackets. Bracket #1 would mix the first week. At the end of that week, voting would begin on Bracket #1's mixes and Bracket #2 would begin to mix. At the end of that week, voting would begin on Bracket #2's mixes, while Bracket #1 would begin mixing with the new matchups, and so on. So if you continue to win you'd be mixing every other week.

16>8>4>2, at that rate it would take 8 weeks to finish the compo. If we got 32 participants, then it would take 10 weeks total.

At this point, I think I'll talk to some admins to figure out schedules so we don't conflict with other high profile OCR competitions. If anyone else is interested, keep posting and I'll add you to the list!

I would love to see this competition,

Unfortunately i have no skills at music

but i'd love to perhaps help with votes or just be a casual listener?

I'v always been a big fan of the blue blur so this comp sounds like a great idea.

Good Luck all potential contestants ^-^

So it appears late spring & early summer (May/June-ish) might be the best time to run this if we don't want to conflict with other compos (mainly Darke's next GMRB or GRMRB). Especially if we only have 16 participants, then we might not have any overlap. 32 participants would add a little extra time though and we might have a small amount of overlap with those compos. Does that matter to people?

What do people think about that time? Any other suggestions? Anyone else interested?

You know, I think I'll actually try my hand at this. Yes I'm interested. I am certainly not a professional at music production, but I do enjoy a challenge.

The times that work best for me are March 18 - April 1, and June 17 - June 30. (I have a two week break from college during those times.) Of course, these times are subject to change, so I will need to know with time to plan accordingly.

While I do show interest in giving Sonic some more love around these parts, I feel the need to state something that apparently hasn't been brought up yet.

See, the reason why the Mega Man competitions worked, other than the franchise, was that the backstory managed to fit so well into the setting - DarkeSword said he was inspired by the Mega Man 6 robot tournament and the whole idea of robots going against each other. This managed to expand itself throughout the entire series, with the robot masters being used to go against other robot masters - and later on, Dr. Wily - it fitted the tone of the game series and worked with the series' simple tunes.

Now, locations in the Sonic franchise isn't going to work in quite the same way. How are you supposed to represent a single zone and go against another zone without making it too much like an uninspired bloodbath? There was no need for different zones to have conflicts in the original Genesis titles at least, and I'm pretty sure it even extended to other stages in later games and on other platforms. Basically, to me, with the way you wanted it to go, it's just going to be the GRMRB with a Sonic paint job, which I don't think is going to be a fresh enough idea.

I still don't see anything wrong with going for a Sonic related tourney, but honestly, citing inspiration from other successful competitions probably isn't the best way to make something long-lasting. I suggest finding ways for research on this matter before devising a final setup.

While I do show interest in giving Sonic some more love around these parts, I feel the need to state something that apparently hasn't been brought up yet.

See, the reason why the Mega Man competitions worked, other than the franchise, was that the backstory managed to fit so well into the setting - DarkeSword said he was inspired by the Mega Man 6 robot tournament and the whole idea of robots going against each other. This managed to expand itself throughout the entire series, with the robot masters being used to go against other robot masters - and later on, Dr. Wily - it fitted the tone of the game series and worked with the series' simple tunes.

Now, locations in the Sonic franchise isn't going to work in quite the same way. How are you supposed to represent a single zone and go against another zone without making it too much like an uninspired bloodbath? There was no need for different zones to have conflicts in the original Genesis titles at least, and I'm pretty sure it even extended to other stages in later games and on other platforms. Basically, to me, with the way you wanted it to go, it's just going to be the GRMRB with a Sonic paint job, which I don't think is going to be a fresh enough idea.

I still don't see anything wrong with going for a Sonic related tourney, but honestly, citing inspiration from other successful competitions probably isn't the best way to make something long-lasting. I suggest finding ways for research on this matter before devising a final setup.

Thanks Rexy, I appreciate the feedback! I've been thinking about this since proposing the idea, and even talked to Darke about it via PM as well. The main reason I was modeling it after the GRMRBs was because I really like the format and think it works well for a compo. The added backstrory & narrative is fun and does fit the Mega Man franchise perfectly, however ultimately I'm not sure how much that really matters to someone's overall enjoyment in a competition.

And yeah I agree, that theme doesn't really fit Sonic. A remixer can't "become" a Sonic Zone and we can't "battle" Sonic zones. That's just silly :smile:. Sonic doesn't really have character themes and there isn't someone to battle at the end of each stage (like a Robot Master in Mega Man). But Zone themes are the only thing I have to go off of. I've been trying to think of a way to include a narrative that would fit Sonic, but I've been drawing a blank.

So I guess that yeah, if I can't think of a cool theme or narrative, then yes the compo would just be a GRMRB with a Sonic paint job. But would that really be a bad thing? I think mixing some Sonic themes together would be cool. If you have any ideas for a better way to structure the compo, I'm all ears!

The assumption you're going on is that people only care about "fresh and cool" and "thematic".

If that were the case we wouldn't have so much "OMG" fanboy/girlism for goliath album projects. People just want game remixes.

Yeah, that's ultimately the conclusion I've come to. A theme would be cool, but I don't think it's central to the success of the compo. Talented & excited remixers with time to spare will be what makes or breaks this thing :)!!

Wow! I'm really impressed with the amount of interest everyone has expressed! It's making me want to start this thing sooner rather than later though!

So, I've been throwing around the idea of trying to come up with a theme/narrative to tie the compo together (as both DarkeSword & Rexy have suggested). It would have to be something good though, I'd rather have no "storyline" than a stupid and cheesy one. With that said, I've come up with one possible cheesy narrative. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any good ideas! Here's what I've been able to come up with:

We'd have 2 tournament brackets: a Sonic bracket and a Dr. Robotnik bracket. A good guys vs. bad guys kinda thing. Each remixer would choose a "home" zone to represent them. This would be the theme they mix with every round. For example, I could be "SuperiorX, from Green Hill Zone". The goal would be to race through each zone (each opponent you face along the way) to collect the Chaos Emeralds, in an attempt to save/destroy the world, depending on your bracket. Each round you'd mix your theme with the "home" zone theme of your opponent. I was throwing around the idea of having a Chaos Emerald be the "prize" for each round in the bracket (otherwise saying you're collecting Chaos Emeralds seems trivial) from a particular Sonic game. For example, in Round 1 you could be racing against your opponent to get a Chaos Emerald from Sonic 2. During the round you would be required to remix your home zone and your opponent's home zone theme, and you could optionally choose to mix part of the Special Stage zone music (where you get the emeralds) from Sonic 2 in your mix as well. The next round could be a Chaos Emerald from Sonic 3, so you would mix your theme, your opponent's, and the Special Stage music from Sonic 3 if you choose. When we get down to the final round, it would be a battle between the winner of the Sonic bracket and the winner of the Robotnik bracket. You would need to mix your theme, your opponent's, and maybe some final boss theme? Good vs. Bad showdown to decide the fate of the world!

I'm not sure if I entirely like my own idea. I'm worried that giving the option to mix a third source may needlessly complicate the competition in an attempt to fit a storyline/theme, which may not really even be necessary. I guess it depends on if people think having an overarching theme/narrative is that important, or if everyone just wants to remix some Sonic songs :smile:

Let me know what you guys think! And if anyone has any suggestions, free feel to post them!

It sounds good to me. For me, a back-story doesn't really matter. Its just a nice little extra, but its just that. An extra. The only thing with your suggestion with the chaos emeralds (if I understand correctly) there is no real point and does sound like a needless complication. If it was a team competition like the WCRG then it would be a cool thing as the chaos emerald could be a bonus point or 1st place vote.

I've waffled too much anywho. Just put me as "wants to remix Sonic songs"