Interest in a Sonic Remix Competition?

SuperiorX

You will be surprised how far down you get in those lists of picks.

Let me know if you need help when you're running this thing.

Thanks Darke, I appreciate the offer! I think the main thing I want to work on now is just nailing down a start date. I do have a few other questions on how you ran things though, so I'll PM you!

----------------------------------------

On an unrelated note, I'm completely excited about starting this thing so I made a couple mock-ups of possible remixer sigs for the compo. I tried to make it resemble a "zone start" screen that would appear right when you start a zone. The mixer's name would be in the "Sonic" font and their zone would be below in the "zone" font from the games. An image of their zone would serve as a background with that black-to-transparent gradient overlay. Blue color scheme with Sonic for the Sonic bracket and red color scheme with Robotnik for the Robotnik bracket.

I know it's waaaaaaaaaaay too early to start doing stuff like this, but I had some ideas and wanted to make a mock-up. When we actually start the compo, I'm completely open to other ideas from others who may be better at Photoshop than I, but otherwise I like these a lot! And FYI, I don't want Green Hill Zone, this is just an example. What do you think?

2s99kjc.png

72vg28.png

Hopefully I'll have some info on a start date soon!

Alright folks, it looks like we're going to plan to begin the Sonic compo the first full week of May, barring any unforeseen circumstances (which are bound to come up :smile:). We'll have a 2-week recruitment period that will run towards the end of April and the beginning of May. Depending on how well recruiting goes during that time, we may push back another week to accommodate.

That will have us finishing up at the end of June, or early July, depending on the exact start date and the number of participants (16 or 32). This will also allow for minimal overlap with DarkeSword's upcoming GMRB and GRMRB 2012. Closer to when the time comes, I'll send some PMs to everyone who said they were interested here as a heads-up.

GET EXCITE!

Sign me up for a definite yes, barring any schedule conflicts.

you can count me in :)

Nice!

Just remember everyone, when I actually start the compo thread (late April/early May) and the recruitment period begins, if more than 16 people sign up then we'll have to get 32 to sign up so the brackets are aligned correctly. We've got a lot of interest thus far, but I don't want to have to cut anyone out!

So spread the word! Tell all your friends! :)!!

Does anyone have any good, free suggestions for web hosting with high bandwidth limits? I'm trying to think of a good way to host the mixes for the compo when it starts. I don't have my own website or anything, so I'll have to go off free services. I use a box.net account right now to host my mixes (which I love), but it only has a 10GB a month bandwidth limit. That's normally plenty, but we could easily blow through that in the first round or two of the compo, given the number of mixes in the opening rounds. My plan is to have maybe 2-3 box.net accounts and just cycle through those during the first few rounds. Once we get into the later rounds, it probably won't be a big deal because there will be less mixes to host.

But I figured I'd ask if anyone else knows of any other good options! Thanks!

If you don't end up with an even 32, why don't you just randomly draw some first round bye's? It would be a shame if for instance you had 30 people who wanted to participate, and ended up cutting 14 of them! Just have 2 people sit out round 1 (28 would compete) and then you get a nice bracket of 16 for round 2....

If you had say 17 people, create some type of a "pigtail" match where 2 people are randomly drawn, and have to compete to get into the bracket of 16.

Anyways I just think there's plenty of ways to make it work without having to completely cut people out who want to participate.

I look forward to seeing this go down, I love the Sonic sound tracks!

• 3 weeks later...

OK everyone! Given that the next Grand Maverick Remix Battle has been delayed due to the impromptu Street Fighter compo, I've decided to start this Sonic compo a little bit earlier so it'll fall in-between the other two compos and we won't have any overlap.

So, my plan is to start a 2-week recruitment period the week of April 15th that'll run though April 29th. Then we'll have a week to get things situated, with the first mixing round starting on May 5th!

Given the amount of interest, I'm going to lock the compo down to the first 32 people that sign up (if we're lucky). If we don't get that many, then we'll have to go with 16. I'm hoping we can get 32 though!

This sounds cool. I'll be sure to cover this in my blog alongside the other compos. 8-)

Awesome, thanks!

Aww, shame I can't actually start mixing until I get a new headset in May. Otherwise, I'd be mixing like mad, because I've got two weeks off at the start of April.

Pshhh, you don't need a headset! :razz: Mixing won't actually start till May 5th though. Recruitment will begin mid-April.

Aww, shame I can't actually start mixing until I get a new headset in May. Otherwise, I'd be mixing like mad, because I've got two weeks off at the start of April.

I mixed my last song with Apple iPhone Earbuds. True Story.

well the mixing is probably s*** but that's not what we're talking about here