OCR02382 - Sonic & Knuckles "Quicksander"

djpretzel

There was a time, on my very first playthrough of S&K, when I reached Sandopolis act 2 unaware of what was to happen. It went dark, a ghost killed me and that was it... Had to turn to console off, back away from the TV and not play the game for a few days...

I was young...

I'm an adult now but this mix gives me that feeling all over again. Brrr.... Really, really, really excellent stuff :nicework:

The melodic break at 0:55 "makes" this song for me. And the part after the rough and awkward transition at 1:53: Awesome stuff.. So I see this is getting hate on youtube, though considerably less hate than Bad Koopa Dubstep (:-P) I still felt that overall, there should have been a lot more variance in the tones, both the melodic leads and the percussion / dubstep elements. There's more that could have been done to diversify the sound, but regardless, it's over the OCR bar, and it has a few sweet hooks. Would listen again.

this probably isn't going to be your epiphany

Actually... I had no idea dubstep could sound anything like this. I'd only ever heard screeching and grating from dubstep songs, but this sounds like actual music. This is quite new to me and makes me seriously need to rethink how I feel about this genre.

As for the mix itself, it's amazing.

Actually... I had no idea dubstep could sound anything like this. I'd only ever heard screeching and grating from dubstep songs, but this sounds like actual music. This is quite new to me and makes me seriously need to rethink how I feel about this genre.

On this point, I'm quite happy to be proven wrong - glad you're keeping an open mind! :nicework:

It went dark, a ghost killed me and that was it...

The same thing happened to me when I was a kid but the opposite thing happened to me. I became instantly hooked to that level. In my somewhat twisted young mind I fell in love with the creepy ghosts and the sense of urgency. This song really brought all of that back for me. That same sense of encroaching darkness is in this song. My only quarrel with this song is that it's maybe a bit too short. Then again Blind kind of spoils us with 10 minute songs.

I'm with halc on this one: it's not that I hate dubstep, it's that I hate it when someone half-times the drum track and LFOs the bass and then waits for money to roll in. This ReMix does far, far more than that and it's genuinely awesome on it's own merits. Another outstanding job by another OCR newcomer.

BTW, I think this sort of style would work really well with a lot of iconic all-FM sources given the inherent grittiness of the YM2612 (and the AdLib/Sound Blaster's YM3812). I can just about hear the outlines of a similar treatment of Yuzo Koshiro's "The Street of Rage" in my head, and it's glorious.

Good track, but this guy is already on my bad side saying all the 3D games are bad (especially Generations, I love that game).

This was actually submitted only a couple of weeks after Sonic Generations was first announced. I'm pleased to admit that Sonic Generations is one of the best games of the entire series, but Sonic Team still has to convince me that they're back in full swing. ;) Thanks for the comments though.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS....more....MOre.....MORE!!!!

As a fan of dubstep just before it got really big I am impressed with this amazing work, and I agree that he made the drops as part of the actual rythem to the song which was more impressive, I do like dubstep but it doesn't mean I like all dubstep, just like with any song it has to be done right and this was not done right...it was done FANTASTIC!!!! Keep up the good work!

Sorry I can't add anything that add to any technically or musically critique but I have just been one of those "lurkers" on this website for a long time and appreciate all the work everyone contributes to this site and had my own dream of making a remix worthy of this community and submitting it but I am still an amateur if you can even call me that!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is dubstep? This is unlike any kind of dubstep I've ever heard.

And I love it! It manages to maintain a harmony that I don't think I've ever heard on a dubstep song, and the fact that it brings justice to the Sandopolis theme makes it even better. Someone should give this guy a medal, or a trophy for that matter.

• 4 months later...

I have to come back to this. I really do.

As I said in my previous post, this is unlike anything I'd heard before. All the dubstep songs I'd heard before simply... didn't sound good to me. They sounded like noise. Dubstep's popularity confused me. Before this, all I'd ever heard was generic riffs and wub wub sounds thrown together haphazardly and labeled as a "song".

But this track. The raw, guttural feeling. The grinding, vibrating, angry bass, beautifully woven into the rich Sandopolis groove. It had rhythm and structure, which I hadn't heard before in a dubstep song. I had no idea it could sound like this, I really didn't.

I suppose it's akin to hearing poorly-constructed midis of Chemical Plant Zone, then hearing Chemixtrixx for the first time. It truly was something changing and enlightening. Since hearing this, I've expanded my search (since I had a reason to do so heh) and found some dubstep I really enjoy.

To the creator of this remix, Alex Coe: you've truly created a work of art here. You have single-handedly turned a former hater onto dubstep. Congrats.

• 8 months later...

As much as I hated Sandopolis Zone, I've always loved the music of it, and hearing a hard, dark and gritty ReMix of it is amazing to me. I, myself, have grown to like dubstep, but I like it better when used a less obnoxious way like this is. To me, this is the perfect example of balancing melodic rock and dubstep, so well done.

This is dubstep? This is unlike any kind of dubstep I've ever heard.

And I love it! It manages to maintain a harmony that I don't think I've ever heard on a dubstep song, and the fact that it brings justice to the Sandopolis theme makes it even better. Someone should give this guy a medal, or a trophy for that matter.

"Is this dubstep?" lol. This is AMAZING dubstep! I love the dirty music on this website, and it's great to work out to. I don't know why people seem to hate dubstep...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

WOW! I'm shocked! This is definitely one of the best dubstep songs I've ever heard and this is definitely the most unusual reinterpretation of Sandopolis' theme as well. Middle-eastern infused dubstep? Hell yes! It's just as gritty and in-your-face as dubstep can be. Especially love the part from 2:17 - the glitching stuff and bass shenanigans are especially great. Love this song a lot!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02382 - Sonic & Knuckles "Quicksander"