OCR00463 - Super Mario Land "Reel Big Mario"

Ginnsu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Wee! I like this! I don't think it sounds very ska at all though. As a result, I don't think the ReMix name is good either (plus I'm not fond of ska...). Anyway, I still like this! It's a great adaptation of the original; it kinda reminds me of those live or orchestrated Mario themes on OCG1 and game radio stations. It sounds like music that would play at a celebration and puts you in a good mood. XD

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Is anyone else reminded of the opening theme of Rurouni Kenshin (played at hyper-speed) when they listen to this mix (specifically around 0:29)?

A little bit of a surprise ending on this one. I kinda didn't expect it to be over when it did - I had to check to make sure my WinAmp didn't crash. Fun and energetic. A little repetitive, but amusing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I haven't heard much from Reel Big Fish nor know too much about them, but it doesn't matter cuz I still love this mix! It's so uplifting with that upbeat brass and guitar. I get the perfect picture of flying through the sky on a beautiful sunny day with the summer breeze, and even if it's cloudy, this uplifting mix will clear the sky and there will be nothing but blue up above! Haha, that's me and my wild imagination, but what can I do? This mix just picks me up when I'm down! It's a must-have for everybody!

Mario, Reel Big Fish style? What more could you want? I love it! Makes me want to find my SML cart. Made an awesome remix and brought back memories of a good game at the same time. Thanks!

I think you'll all agree when I say, we hate it when Bowser becomes successful!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Oooh I love listening to this song from time to time! What we have here is a short, peppy, extremely "HAPPY" piece! If you need a little spark to put more spring into your step, turn on this song!

I really wish the actual BGM for Super Mario Land could've been this one... but unfortunatly... the Game Boy isn't the most... hmmm... "potent" device for music...

I'd love to see another remix done for the more oriental BGM that you hear later in the game because it's also a great song.

The only possible complaint I could bring up about this remix is just how short it is... it's so peppy... but it's gone so fast.

Definitely a good remix right here. It's well worth a listen.

• 1 year later...

Catchy and fun, it definitely has a less-than-pristine live sound to it. Just a bit too much reverb, though it does help to mask the fakey brass a little.

The panning is effective and helps it from being complete mush sonically.

The drum partwriting and the guitar is where this mix shines though, as they are both very energetic and varied. Nice clean tone on the guitar as well.

I'm super disappointed in the "ending" though. You guys just get tired of the song or what? :/

Overall fun and a pretty classic older OCR track.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a fan of the ska sound; not something I'd usually associate with Super Mario Land. It's upbeat, cheery, and I love it for that. The only thing that I don't like is how short it is, and that it kind of makes me think it's supposed to keep going after the ending.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Imo, this comes off a little too fast, too strong, and a little too mechanical; it's like "in your face. Wham!"

Also the ending is also one of the most cop-out and unsatisfying endings I've heard in a while

it is pretty much the original with a few soloing bits, but it's near perfect at what it's trying to do.

Pretty much this ^

It's just the source melody plus big band musical context, but since it does do what it intends to do, for that I salute this mix.

While this is just an o.k. mix, I recommend passing on this one.

• 3 years later...

While this mix really isn't anything TOO special, its pretty nice to listen to. Seems like the kind of mix you'd like to listen to once, but not the kind of thing you'd put in your music collection.

Give it at least a listen before you dismiss it. Its nice for what it is.

• 11 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00463 - Super Mario Land "Reel Big Mario"