Need help with EWQLSO error

I'm not getting too much help from Eastwest on this and I thought I'd post it here in case someone has experienced this and fixed it.

I've looked through the forums as well and do see others having the same problem. These are the errors I get when loading up some of the close mic samples:

http://bsodcomic.net/misc/error1.jpg

http://bsodcomic.net/misc/error2.jpg

I've done a lot of research on this over the past couple days and have tried Pretty much every solution I could think of and some that I found via forums. Here's my specs and what I've done.

iMac quad i5 2.5ghz with 16GB of RAM, OSX 10.7.3 64bit

Play is the most up to date version of 3.0.31 and I own EWQLSO Gold wit the close mic samples.

Ilok licenses have been confirmed and are working properly. I have removed everything Eastwest from my hard drive using a program called EasyFind that can pretty find every type of file hidden or not. I then reinstalled the latest version of Play and reinstalled all the libraries from the original DVDs. I've run all of the EWQLSO Gold updates that are on Eastwest's website. I've checked and made sure that all folders have the proper permissions.

These errors come up whether you're using the stand alone or plugin version of Play and the error message comes up after the patch is about 2/3s of the way loaded. So, I doubt it's a sleeping drive issue even though I have all of those files on an external firewire drive.

Oddly enough, this is not a new problem with this library. I've seen posts in the Eastwest forums that date back to late 2010 that show the exact same errors and yet I don't see a single post explaining how to fix it. Most of the things tech support have suggested to me thus far are things I've already tried. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that there must be a corrupt patch file or some file doesn't get installed with the updater.

That's it in a nutshell. I don't really need hear that Play sucks or anything like that. I've head it all before. So, this I don't want this post to turn into a bash against it. I'd just like to get the close mic samples to work on all of the patches if possible.

The only thing I can think of is that the PLAY update is separate from the library updates (updating the audio files), which are separate from patch updates (updating the performances or multis or whatever EW calls them). Is it possible you've updated the patches but not the library, so you have patches referring to non-existent files?

The only thing I can think of is that the PLAY update is separate from the library updates (updating the audio files), which are separate from patch updates (updating the performances or multis or whatever EW calls them). Is it possible you've updated the patches but not the library, so you have patches referring to non-existent files?

I've run every single patch for both the libraries and Play that I can find but it seems something still lingers.

I'm not getting too much help from Eastwest on this and I thought I'd post it here in case someone has experienced this and fixed it.

I've looked through the forums as well and do see others having the same problem. These are the errors I get when loading up some of the close mic samples:

http://bsodcomic.net/misc/error1.jpg

http://bsodcomic.net/misc/error2.jpg

I've done a lot of research on this over the past couple days and have tried Pretty much every solution I could think of and some that I found via forums. Here's my specs and what I've done.

iMac quad i5 2.5ghz with 16GB of RAM, OSX 10.7.3 64bit

Play is the most up to date version of 3.0.31 and I own EWQLSO Gold wit the close mic samples.

Ilok licenses have been confirmed and are working properly. I have removed everything Eastwest from my hard drive using a program called EasyFind that can pretty find every type of file hidden or not. I then reinstalled the latest version of Play and reinstalled all the libraries from the original DVDs. I've run all of the EWQLSO Gold updates that are on Eastwest's website. I've checked and made sure that all folders have the proper permissions.

These errors come up whether you're using the stand alone or plugin version of Play and the error message comes up after the patch is about 2/3s of the way loaded. So, I doubt it's a sleeping drive issue even though I have all of those files on an external firewire drive.

Oddly enough, this is not a new problem with this library. I've seen posts in the Eastwest forums that date back to late 2010 that show the exact same errors and yet I don't see a single post explaining how to fix it. Most of the things tech support have suggested to me thus far are things I've already tried. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that there must be a corrupt patch file or some file doesn't get installed with the updater.

That's it in a nutshell. I don't really need hear that Play sucks or anything like that. I've head it all before. So, this I don't want this post to turn into a bash against it. I'd just like to get the close mic samples to work on all of the patches if possible.

The first one is an iLok authorization error, it means that PLAY can not find the iLok key needed to authorize the loading of that patch.

The second one is a missing wav file error, it means that the wav file is not where it is expected to be and would happen if you moved the file accidentally, on purpose, or if you did not install the library properly (or if there was a snafu in the installation).

Remember, if you have GOLD, then there are separate licenses for Close, Far/Stage, and Surround mics.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your iLok devices as iLok has had difficulty in the past with Mac x64 among other things.

I once also had to turn off power saving features on my USB bus once to solve an issue where the iLok dongle would be unmounted by the USB bus going into power-saving sleep mode.

I try not to move samples after installing them, and there's nothing wrong with reinstalling the samples (though it can take some time).

However, there are also Library Updates for EWQLSO, so make sure you have those installed as well.

The first one is an iLok authorization error, it means that PLAY can not find the iLok key needed to authorize the loading of that patch.

The second one is a missing wav file error, it means that the wav file is not where it is expected to be and would happen if you moved the file accidentally, on purpose, or if you did not install the library properly (or if there was a snafu in the installation).

Remember, if you have GOLD, then there are separate licenses for Close, Far/Stage, and Surround mics.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your iLok devices as iLok has had difficulty in the past with Mac x64 among other things.

I once also had to turn off power saving features on my USB bus once to solve an issue where the iLok dongle would be unmounted by the USB bus going into power-saving sleep mode.

I try not to move samples after installing them, and there's nothing wrong with reinstalling the samples (though it can take some time).

However, there are also Library Updates for EWQLSO, so make sure you have those installed as well.

*nod* I pretty much have gone through that list a number of times without it fixing the issue. I've double/triple checked my iLok and it does have all the appropriate licenses: EWQLSO Silver, EWQLSO Gold, and EQSLSO Gold Close Mics. I normally have the iLok key in a USB hub but I also tried plugging it directly into the computer. I've had this key for quite a long time and have never had any issues with it.

The only thing I still have yet to try is installing the samples to the main hard drive just to see if that makes a difference. I've been going back and forth with EW support and they're starting to think I may have a bad install disc which is entirely possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so get this..

After about a month of spending a number of hours troubleshooting this with an EW tech, I threw my hands in the air and gave up. I thought that I'll get something different and sell my copy of EWQLSO. I e-mail their 'licensing' department to inquire on transferring my license to someone else and I get a firm 'no' leaving me stuck with the software. At that point I sighed and just decided to put the whole thing behind since I went ahead and picked up Vienna Symphonic Special Edition. It's more money spent but I at least have a fully functional piece of software.

Here's the fun part, the guy from the 'licensing' department e-mails me again and says, "Oh! These errors are well known. I have a fix for the one but we're still working on the other. Here's the fix for the first one." While I'm happy to hear this boat load of good news, why the hell didn't the original tech I was working with know of this? Why did he waste a month of my time as well as his own?

This seriously constitutes to a big FAIL for Eastwest and they will not get any more money from me. I know that a lot of people have negative feelings towards Play and that's fine. It's not a great sample player but I can deal with that as long it's completely usable or their support is on the ball to take care of known issues.

At any rate, I am stuck keeping EWQLSO and that's fine because it does have a different sound to it than Vienna. EWQLSO has that definite 'hollywood' orchestral sound while Vienna can really get what I can consider the 'classical' sound. I've been getting more and more into writing orchestral music since I started these online classes at Berklee and I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of my future time composing that style.

The second error looks like the directory path is insanely long. I know some programs have problems when the directory path exceeds a certain number of characters, have you tried shortening the path?

The problem is that it's calling for a file that shouldn't be there in the first place. The one tech at EastWest says it's a known problem that the engineers are working on and should be fixed in a future update.

The first error is licensing - I got that as well when I didn't install the Silver License, but you already got it so no idea :(

I got the 2nd error when installing EWQLSO (Gold + both mics) - and I'm on a macbook, snow leopard. Basically, I'm installing the samples to an external drive, but sadly the install misplaced the directory structure (How is that possible?!), instead of installing

/Play Libraries/EWQL Orchestra Library/Gold Instruments

/Play Libraries/EWQL Orchestra Library/Gold Samples

/Play Libraries/EWQL Orchestra Library/Silver Samples

I got

/Gold Samples

/Silver Samples

Once I copied them into place, all the wav errors went away. HTHs!

The thread that helped me out was #16 from the forums.

So my installation process went

Install Play Update

Install EWQLSO

Move directories to correct path

Install Mics (surround/close)

Install SO updates (two of them)

Install Play Update again

Note that my iLok drivers etc were already installed.

Hopefully this may help you or someone else. All the best!

The first error is licensing - I got that as well when I didn't install the Silver License, but you already got it so no idea :(

Actually, that's incorrect in this case. The error isn't actually talk about the KEY files. It's talking about files that were messed up in one area of the library. The tech sent me a folder to replace the offending ones and that fixed the problem.

Why this fix hasn't be notated on their website is beyond me. Also, the installs disks they sell are rather old. You'd think they would have made an updated version with the various fixes on it by now.

I got the 2nd error when installing EWQLSO (Gold + both mics) - and I'm on a macbook, snow leopard. Basically, I'm installing the samples to an external drive, but sadly the install misplaced the directory structure (How is that possible?!), instead of installing

/Play Libraries/EWQL Orchestra Library/Gold Samples

/Play Libraries/EWQL Orchestra Library/Silver Samples

I got

/Gold Samples

/Silver Samples

Once I copied them into place, all the wav errors went away. HTHs!

Nope, that's not the cause of it in this case. All the directories are in the same location. According to the tech, it's a known issue being worked on. At least with this particular error I can go past it and use the patch and things SEEM to sound fine.

My biggest complaint is the first tech I worked with spent a month having me do various things and didn't have the knowledge that the 2nd tech did. Well, that and the issue with the fix for the first error is not documented anywhere on their website.