Lo-Fi Sound?

A bit of compression after drastically cutting the highs and lows helps, too, especially if the compressor has a saturation function of some sort. In FL Studio, I like to use the Fruity Multiband Compressor and bypass the low and high spectrums, compress the crap out of the midrange, and then add some slight distortion afterwards. Sounds deliciously lo-fi.

There's also the possibility of simulating an uneven or not quite exact playback speed. A pitch modulation effect (chorus and phaser come to mind as good candidates) can be used for this, at 100% wet signal. Or, more work and more control, you can export the part you want this effect on as an audio file and play it back in a sampler, using pitch bend to adjust the detuning. This will probably screw with timing, but if like your example it's for an intro, you can adjust the timing of the entire intro to make it's ending fit where the real track begins.

Does anyone have any tips on how to achieve a good sounding low-fi sound (Yeah, I know that's an oxymoron :P), similar to the beginning of
?

(BTW, I'm not talking about the static effects, just the sound quality.)

Sounds like vinyl crack effect mixed with 3¾ in/s 9.53 cm/s reel to reel speed tape effect...thingy... cant remeber

do what the others say like cutting low and highend,band pass and high pass filters and stuff, with vinyl effect plug-ins and stuff. stuff n' stuff.

There's also the possibility of simulating an uneven or not quite exact playback speed. A pitch modulation effect (chorus and phaser come to mind as good candidates) can be used for this, at 100% wet signal. Or, more work and more control, you can export the part you want this effect on as an audio file and play it back in a sampler, using pitch bend to adjust the detuning. This will probably screw with timing, but if like your example it's for an intro, you can adjust the timing of the entire intro to make it's ending fit where the real track begins.

Also, analog tape simulators often have wow and flutter controls that can give you this sort of effect.

Have any Pro-Tools users ever used the plugin called "Bomb Factory"? When I first started out, I really loved cranking the gain and compression knobs to ridiculous extremes and it created these gorgeous pseudo-lo-fi crackles, hisses and pops. If you combined that with the EQ techniques other users have mentioned, that'd sound ballzie as.