Nocturnal Rites - Kaepora Gaebora and Potion shop, from Zelda: Ocarina of time.

Spotnick

So I started with this one today, inspired by the Zelda-project that's up; though eventually realizing this might not be suitable for that project. So far I've laid down a decent intro at around 2 minutes, but still unsure of what to do next.

So my question is basically if people like anything with it or if it's too far from source material or too experimental. Totally open for all other sorts of feedback to. Here we go :) Hope somebody likes it!

http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/38577828/file.html

I really like the psychedelic vibe in this song - it lends itself perfectly to the potion shop. You managed to meld these two songs together very well, in my opinion. It’s a familiar source, so I don’t think you are being too liberal, especially toward the end. Have you considered using those strange bongo drums from the game? Or would that be too much? Hmm... Can't wait to hear more!

As I was listening to it:

Loving the percussion and Hendricks-esque licks at the beginning. Also the staccato bass really helps out by setting a slightly eerie mood, but also calming. The ambiance is beautiful.

Post-listening:

It all meshes together perfectly and the guitar keeps interest throughout. Might wanna work on more varied percussion. I enjoy you went beyond a simple drum set, but in the song I heard a tom before the little syncopation, and I think the song could have used some tom for a transition of sections in the song for a little more variety.

Thanks for all the feedback! Have been working quite a bit more on it, and just as suggested added some toms. Had quite a hard time deciding how to continue, but since you seemed to like the psychedelic vibe I pushed that hopefully even further, giving more emphasis to the Potion Shop melodies. At the moment I'm experimenting with an crescendo with a guitar solo on top of the chords from the twinrova-theme, even though my skills at those kind of solos leave a lot to be desired :) Will probably end with a return to Kaepora Gaebora-theme.

Probably going to put up a new WIP here pretty soon. Would love to hear your opinions! Back in a while :3

Ok, figured I might as well put it up immediately. Would like to hear what you think of the direction in the second half. Not too sure myself yet.

http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/93246003/file.html

cheers! hope you enjoy :)

EDIT: Seems like the sitar is much too loud suddenly. Mixing is a bitch... fixing that soon.

EDIT2: Changed into a slightly newer version, sound levels should be a bit better hopefully. Some more superfluous guitars added. :3

I think those two themes go brilliantly together! They flow easily one to the other, nicely done. It still needs work, more filling out but so far so good, and nice sounds. I like the improv in part 2, and at some points the bass is more pronounced which I like. I think at some point you could start bringing in the second half of the kaepora theme, at least once or twice. Keep going please!

I like this. :D

Source isn't a problem, seems like there's always something in there pointing to either source. Source-wise, I'd say this is fine. Seems to lose direction, not quite know where it's going at times. That could be a problem. The psychadelic sound and concept grants it some leeway, I'm just not sure it's enough. Then again, that's one of the problems some of my arrangements have had as well: not quite finding direction.