OCR02386 - Final Fantasy VIII "Of Dreams and Time"

djpretzel

It's a great song and arrangement for sure.

But there's a lot of production issues that are bothering in a similar way to Neko's last mix.

There's no diversity in the drum velocities and they're STILL OVERCOMPRESSED. Those damn pumpy cymbals. Saying $5 headphones isn't an excuse, I got a set of Gear One G40DX full frequency headphones for free, and they're generally a super cheap set of headphones, but they're the most accurate sounding speaker system in my house. So there.

I think this battle with cymbal compression is something you've been struggling with pretty much forever, and you're only going to improve if some jerk like me comes out and yells about it on every mix that comes out with bad cymbal pumping. And your hihats either have a solid velocity throughout, or like at 3:39 the open hat is quiet and the pedal hat is a lot louder... it makes no sense. Listening to it is unpleasant but obviously not a dealbreaker, it's just an annoying, irksome thing because your mixes always get by with this kind of sound and most other people aren't quite so lucky to get through the panel with glaring flaws like that, with overcompressed drums with no velocities.

As for the scooping in the rhythms, really doesn't bother me at all. It's a stylistic choice and I think it works. It gives space to your leads and allows them to be clearly audible pretty much from the get go. It'd probably work well for vocals too if you ever used 'em. ;-) I love the clean tones, and the drums don't seem quite as bad there, but that overcompressed, static snare is pretty ugly.

welcome to the over-compressed headphone users club, my brother.

I like your guitar style a lot, and your previous mix is still on my weekly jam list (and it's in the same key!!!! woooowwwzzzerrrzzz killer segue dude!); plus, you got unanimous yes's from the panel!

quote from youtube: "If i was a women i would husband him "

lmao.

Besides the moment of Synth at 2:47, I think this is a well-made piece. It fits perfectly with the metal genre(which happens to be my favorite). The introduction doesn't feel drawn out, more like it's building tension instead. I've heard a few remixes of 'The Extreme' like All existence denied, but I think I prefer this one. Not as full-on-nuts metal like Heavy Mako, but it's enough to get your head banging while remembering to use all the holy war potions you saved up. To survive this song, you may need them.

For me, at least in the intro, it almost immediately took me back to the days of the original diablo music in tristram. Was a nice nostalgic feel to the song, before it picks up and crashes in with the more metal based background.

I loved it personally, well done!

welcome to the over-compressed headphone users club, my brother.

I like your guitar style a lot, and your previous mix is still on my weekly jam list (and it's in the same key!!!! woooowwwzzzerrrzzz killer segue dude!); plus, you got unanimous yes's from the panel!

quote from youtube: "If i was a women i would husband him "

lmao.

Too bad he's already been husbanded. :P

but yeah, slick track man. Glad to hear more from ya! :3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is awesome; a true guitar song - plenty of feeling and dynamicity, backed by simple drums and synth. One really minor thing that tripped me up: the transition at 1.21 - where is it? Let's face it - there wasn't one. One second you're doing this, the next, that. I would normally expect more playing with tension there.

Things that didn't bother me: the fade-out - it was fine. Would it have been nice to soar into an orchestral barrage? Maybe. But, it's been done. The non-dynamic drums - they were fine too. I've seen a lot of live bands play with a drum machine and they sound great. This is a guitar song and the drums backed the guitar by being simple and straightforward When you add dynamics and tons of fills and cymbal, it takes away just a little limelight from the guitar.

Overall - awesome.

• 1 month later...

I guess I won't really get into the production issues much, although I do want to note that the guitar playing before the chugs start in the song sounds not as tight as they should be and sticks out like a sore thumb for me.

Going to have to agree with OA that the ending was weak. Otherwise, solid take on The Extreme (for the most part).

• 9 months later...

Well, when you took on The Extreme, you nailed it down pretty good. I can say that I enjoyed this ReMix and I won't dwell on the little minor things others already picked out. Since fade outs don't bug me all that much, it didn't do so here. Not bad.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02386 - Final Fantasy VIII "Of Dreams and Time"